Is it really true that once you quit UPS you can't go back?

satellitedriver

Well see, with slavery there's a lot of euphemisms that get thrown around.

Basically, an underpaid slave is one that gets more lashes and less food than the rest of the slaves.
Where did you go to school?
Is that what they taught you?
Learn factual history, then we can have a discussion about slavery in America.
Fair warning, you are in my bailiwick.

PPH_over_9000

Where did you go to school?
Is that what they taught you?
Learn factual history, then we can have a discussion about slavery in America.
Fair warning, you are in my bailiwick.

Are you.... are you being serious?

Jesus christ, I think I just had my first "ok boomer" moment.

So hey, rule of thumb for the world wide interwebs: if you can't say for certain whether a comment you're responding to was made in seriousness or in jest, it might be best to just leave your reply left unsent.

If you really want it, though: Why do you focus only on slavery in America? Why not the rest of the Americas? Europe? The Middle East?

Frankly, if you want to have a discussion about slavery where it was statistically problematic, let's have a discussion about Brazil, Cuba or Haiti. Sure it was a problem in the US, but we played a much smaller role compared to other countries. To be frank, slavery wasn't abolished because people found it to be problematic on the whole-- nay, slavery was abolished in the North to deprive the South of a large portion of it's conscripted (read: enslaved) fighting force.

Fun fact: The emancipation proclamation did nothing for the enslaved in the territories in which it had legal standing. It's kind of funny how the North freed the South's slaves without mentioning any of their own at the time, huh? Kind of makes a person think that abolition had nothing to do with moral standing and everything to do with a political game of chess.

And how do you feel about indentured servitude? Akin to slavery? Not quite the same? I mean really, what's your take on it? Do you think that's just the word they used when white people were the slaves, or is it a bit less insidious than that? I don't mean to hit you with 21 questions but it's only right that you indulge me considering I'm in your bailiwick and all.

Last edited:

satellitedriver

Are you.... are you being serious?

Jesus christ, I think I just had my first "ok boomer" moment.

So hey, rule of thumb for the world wide interwebs: if you can't say for certain whether a comment you're responding to was made in seriousness or in jest, it might be best to just leave your reply left unsent.

If you really want it, though: Why do you focus only on slavery in America? Why not the rest of the Americas? Europe? The Middle East?

Frankly, if you want to have a discussion about slavery where it was statistically problematic, let's have a discussion about Brazil, Cuba or Haiti. Sure it was a problem in the US, but we played a much smaller role compared to other countries. To be frank, slavery wasn't abolished because people found it to be problematic on the whole-- nay, slavery was abolished in the North to deprive the South of a large portion of it's conscripted (read: enslaved) fighting force.

Fun fact: The emancipation proclamation did nothing for the enslaved in the territories in which it had legal standing. It's kind of funny how the North freed the South's slaves without mentioning any of their own at the time, huh? Kind of makes a person think that abolition had nothing to do with moral standing and everything to do with a political game of chess.

And how do you feel about indentured servitude? Akin to slavery? Not quite the same? I mean really, what's your take on it? Do you think that's just the word they used when white people were the slaves, or is it a bit less insidious than that? I don't mean to hit you with 21 questions but it's only right that you indulge me considering I'm in your bailiwick and all.
Now we are talking.
I replied to your ignorant post about under paid slave slaves being lashed.
Your words, "Basically, an underpaid slave is one that gets more lashes and less food than the rest of the slaves."
That is the stereotypical misconception of American slavery and iconic imagery.
Did it happen, yes, but it was not the norm.
Only 1% of the population in the southern states "owned" slaves.
Many whites were indentured and that is another topic.
Fun fact.
Abe signed the emancipation proclamation to keep the British from supporting/militarily the southern cause.
Ergo, the rebellious states.
Britain wanted the cotton and agricultural products from the south, but were held back by the proclamation.
Britain had abolished slavery and Abe hamstringed them on their own petard.
Read the first three paragraphs of Abrahams inaugural speech made in 1860 and glean his views on slavery and the union.
Old Abe is also quoted saying, "I would never have freed a single slave if it would keep the union intact."
Indentured servitude is repugnant and is still prevalent today in America.
The underground sex slave trade of woman and children in America is sickening.
A large part of FBI work is devoted to the topic.
I am far too familiar with world wide slavery.
My bailiwick is open to rational debate.

PPH_over_9000

Now we are talking.
I replied to your ignorant post about under paid slave slaves being lashed.
Your words, "Basically, an underpaid slave is one that gets more lashes and less food than the rest of the slaves."
That is the stereotypical misconception of American slavery and iconic imagery.
Did it happen, yes, but it was not the norm.
Only 1% of the population in the southern states "owned" slaves.
Many whites were indentured and that is another topic.
Fun fact.
Abe signed the emancipation proclamation to keep the British from supporting/militarily the southern cause.
Ergo, the rebellious states.
Britain wanted the cotton and agricultural products from the south, but were held back by the proclamation.
Britain had abolished slavery and Abe hamstringed them on their own petard.
Read the first three paragraphs of Abrahams inaugural speech made in 1860 and glean his views on slavery and the union.
Old Abe is also quoted saying, "I would never have freed a single slave if it would keep the union intact."
Indentured servitude is repugnant and is still prevalent today in America.
The underground sex slave trade of woman and children in America is sickening.
A large part of FBI work is devoted to the topic.
I am far too familiar with world wide slavery.
My bailiwick is open to rational debate.

idk man, I don't think Great Britain was at the forefront of Lincoln's mind with his Proclamation. GB stayed back because of a lack of public support for them to join the conflict and, while that tide started turning after the EP, I don't think that was the goal. The causality there was so indirect that it's hard not to view it as a happy coincidence for the USA. Besides, public support for interfering with US sovereignty had been dwindling for quite a while by that point-- at best, this was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

BUT

like I said last night, it was more of a game of chess than a moral battle (most conflicts are), and what do we do in chess? We think several moves ahead and plan for multiple outcomes. That leaves the very distinct possibility that you're 100% right, I just doubt the major motivation. That's why I keep saying "I think" instead of "I know," though!

One thing for sure, though, I don't support slavery, I don't daydream about the Confederate Flag, and I'm damn happy our country didn't fall apart back then. As far as my comment about lashes and food-- it was so ludicrous that I didn't expect anybody to take it to heart. I think you may've just gotten so used to the people around you being ignorant on certain topics that you've come to expect it, and I've come to treat the internet as a place not to be taken very seriously at all.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
idk man, I don't think Great Britain was at the forefront of Lincoln's mind with his Proclamation. GB stayed back because of a lack of public support for them to join the conflict and, while that tide started turning after the EP, I don't think that was the goal. The causality there was so indirect that it's hard not to view it as a happy coincidence for the USA. Besides, public support for interfering with US sovereignty had been dwindling for quite a while by that point-- at best, this was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

BUT

like I said last night, it was more of a game of chess than a moral battle (most conflicts are), and what do we do in chess? We think several moves ahead and plan for multiple outcomes. That leaves the very distinct possibility that you're 100% right, I just doubt the major motivation. That's why I keep saying "I think" instead of "I know," though!

One thing for sure, though, I don't support slavery, I don't daydream about the Confederate Flag, and I'm damn happy our country didn't fall apart back then. As far as my comment about lashes and food-- it was so ludicrous that I didn't expect anybody to take it to heart. I think you may've just gotten so used to the people around you being ignorant on certain topics that you've come to expect it, and I've come to treat the internet as a place not to be taken very seriously at all.
F2907DD9-0720-461A-8B8C-5B1D37973ED8.gif

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I thought that is what they told us when they hired us, but one guy clearly admitted during the group session that he had worked at UPS before for about 2 years, then quit (he was a clerk), yet they re-hired him anyway. :didimiss:
clerks aren’t real employees
✊🧔