Is it THAT bad?

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Careful here, 18$/hr is in very limited markets, where the majority of the company lies within the 15/hr starting wage. And the areas that start at 18$/HR are incredibly expensive areas to live.
Our contract has varying pay for different regions too. I live in the Southern Region,the lowest pay in the US and I make $34.05 per hour and have full benefits.

What makes me ticked is our rates are almost identical(UPS and FedEx) and UPS pays us a terrific salary and benefits while my fellow package car and line haul pilots make considerably less money.....and Fred is the wealthiest man in Tennessee.Sad.

vantexan

Our contract has varying pay for different regions too. I live in the Southern Region,the lowest pay in the US and I make $34.05 per hour and have full benefits.

What makes me ticked is our rates are almost identical(UPS and FedEx) and UPS pays us a terrific salary and benefits while my fellow package car and line haul pilots make considerably less money.....and Fred is the wealthiest man in Tennessee.Sad.
We have 7 payscales last I looked, and you don't have to be in a lower income city to get one of the lowest payscales. FedEx pays the lowest amount that will retain people and attracts applicants, even in places like Flagstaff, AZ which is close to Southern California pricing.

bacha29

Fugboi: If you are a veteran you will have an advantage at USPS because you can claim veterans preferance. Goes along way at USPS. P.S. If in the event you don't already know Federal Express is not a federally commissioned operation. Just another greedy Fortune 500 company.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fugboi: If you are a veteran you will have an advantage at USPS because you can claim veterans preferance. Goes along way at USPS. P.S. If in the event you don't already know Federal Express is not a federally commissioned operation. Just another greedy Fortune 500 company.

His years of service will also count toward his retirement.

fuqboi

Sorry to bump the old thread but I'm wondering which would be better: a non-dot courier in the morning (6-11) or DOT in the evening (3-8:45)?

outtatime

Sorry to bump the old thread but I'm wondering which would be better: a non-dot courier in the morning (6-11) or DOT in the evening (3-8:45)?
I'm assuming both are PT? The morning shift is not bad as long as there is no late freight that day as they will beg you to stay longer to help out. I would take the afternoon shift as once you get back to the station after your route you are basically done for the day as the CTV leaves for the airport at a set time each night.

dex 84

It depends what fits better into your life. If it doesn't make a difference to you, consider that the PM job is probably easier because it's usually the same exact stops at the same exact time every night where with deliveries there is a lot more variety and you are affected by other factors such as the freight being late.

Are they M-friend, or T-S? If I was picking it would make a big difference to me if with one of the jobs you didn't have to work Saturdays.

fuqboi

It depends what fits better into your life. If it doesn't make a difference to you, consider that the PM job is probably easier because it's usually the same exact stops at the same exact time every night where with deliveries there is a lot more variety and you are affected by other factors such as the freight being late.

Are they M-friend, or T-S? If I was picking it would make a big difference to me if with one of the jobs you didn't have to work Saturdays.

Both are PT and listed as Mon-Sat, with days off "to be determined."

It really doesn't make too much of a difference to me whether it's AM or PM, but I'd like to go with whatever would give me more flexibility as I look for work related to my degree, for what that's worth.

dex 84

Both are PT and listed as Mon-Sat, with days off "to be determined."

It really doesn't make too much of a difference to me whether it's AM or PM, but I'd like to go with whatever would give me more flexibility as I look for work related to my degree, for what that's worth.

Oh, that sucks as far as the day off goes. You're probably better off taking the PM route so you're guaranteed time off during the day to pursue other opportunities. When you start in the morning it's anyone's guess when you could be getting out.