Is it that hard?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I don't believe it is an all-aluminum block like the LS3.

I haven't peeked real hard, but I would imagine the bottom end is Cast Iron as it tends to be cheaper rather than the all aluminum block like the LS's.

The LS3 is also a 6.2L displacement, not a 6.0L. The 6.0L is the LS2
We have the iron block and aluminum heads. Wish we had iron heads. The 4.8s crack and begin consuming coolant after about 150k.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'm assuming the company got away from the diesel platform due to the emissions standards the federal government put on them making them unreliable. And well, they stink. We have some old diesels that the city should use for mosquito control they smoke so bad.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Most of the time a new pump and/or injectors clears up most of the smoke.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm assuming the company got away from the diesel platform due to the emissions standards the federal government put on them making them unreliable. And well, they stink. We have some old diesels that the city should use for mosquito control they smoke so bad.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Mercedes Benz diesels have reliable Bluetec emissions systems that involve periodically adding urea to a tank on the vehicle, which eliminates the need to burn soot off of the DPF with a "regen" cycle. UPS didn't want to deal with the requirement of adding urea so it has reverted back to gasoline engines for its next generation of vehicles which I think is a huge mistake.

[quote.soberups, post: 1387178, member: 14668"]Mercedes Benz diesels have reliable Bluetec emissions systems that involve periodically adding urea to a tank on the vehicle, which eliminates the need to burn soot off of the DPF with a "regen" cycle. UPS didn't want to deal with the requirement of adding urea so it has reverted back to gasoline engines for its next generation of vehicles which I think is a huge mistake.[/quote]
Carbon ,neutral??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Some our newest tractors and a handful of package cars already have the urea aftertreatment.
What is the procedure for refilling the urea tank?

In an ideal world, all of our package cars would be Bluetec diesels, burning domestically produced biodiesel, and there would be a urea pump next to or on top of the diesel pumps so that drivers could refill the urea at the same time they refueled.

barnyard

KTM rider
What is the procedure for refilling the urea tank?

Urea treatment is also known as DEF, diesel exhaust fluid.

About every other tank of diesel, fill the DEF tank at the DEF pump. Right now, I have only seen DEF tractors at the hubs, which also have DEF pumps.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I have nothing that uses that stuff, but I imagine it's no rocket science. Another local center has a few PITA Isuzu cars that use it. I hear that place that have a fuel island have a pallet of the stuff nearby. There is one station nearby that sells biodiesel and I can always tell when somebody has got fuel there.
BTW, do not refill your diesel powered car with "DYED Diesel". That stuff is for offroad use only. It is not road taxed and you know how upset UNCLE SAM is when he doesn't get his cut. I had to have this discussion with one of my CDL drivers when I went to get some fuel from the tank of a retired box van after one of my other cars got filled up with gasoline for the umpteenth time.