Is it true?...

35years

Gravy route
I'm wondering if the benefits and pay are different due to cost of living.
Why does someone in New York need more paid days off than someone in Iowa?

Why does someone in California need 30 minutes of paid break rather than 20 for a driver in Kansas?

Why does a driver on the west coast deserve an extra break after 10 hours while a driver in the Midwest wont get one even if he works 14 hours.

Why does any driver in any part of the country need more pay in retirement... They can move anywhere once not employed by UPS. I can see justification for paying more per hour but that is not where the large disparities occur.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is our language superior in other areas of the contract? Make your case if you want to allude to the supplements not being comparable.

How about....

You jump through some hoops, to prove your point.

Make your case (with facts) if you want to allude the supplements are not comparable.

You started this thread. Muscle up.... big boy.

-Bug-

Why does someone in California need 30 minutes of paid break rather than 20 for a driver in Kansas?

Why does a driver on the west coast deserve an extra break after 10 hours while a driver in the Midwest wont get one even if he works 14 hours.

Why does any driver in any part of the country need more pay in retirement... They can move anywhere once not employed by UPS. I can see justification for paying more per hour but that is not where the large disparities occur.
Because

35years

Gravy route
How about....
You jump through some hoops, to prove your point.
Make your case (with facts) if you want to allude the supplements are not comparable.
You started this thread. Muscle up.... big boy.
-Bug-
I think I have given several examples of how the Central supplement is inferior to others (in monetary maters as well as paid days off etc.). These examples have been confirmed by several others. You are the one who asserted that the supplements are not comparable; You said..."How can you even begin.... to compare agreements" ? Yet you offered no example of why we can't compare them.

My assertion that the Central is a monetarily substandard agreement is well founded and substantiated...less paid break, fewer paid days off, pension benefit less per month etc.

Last edited:

By The Book

Question 1....I don't know. Question 2....better negotiated supplement. Question 3......state law. Question 4....location, larger membership, and better managed fund.

barnyard

KTM rider
The truth of the matter is that the Central States Pension plan is older and funding more retirements from companies that are out of business than any west coast local. As union memberships decrease, expect to see more and more defined benefit pension plans failing. Defined benefit pensions are simply not sustainable. That is a fact that is supported by simple math and further supported by history.

SmithBarney

FedEx workers should post this up and stare at it every time they vote down their union.

Unfortunately FedEx Express has never(in recent history) had a chance to Vote in a Union, the teamsters don't seem interested.. unfortunate.
And because of RLA requires a nationwide vote(50%+1), which necessitates some sort of outside help for organization.

35years

Gravy route
Ok,

Let me say this..
We have the best benefits with the Teamsters representing us than anyone I know. I just wanted to know why some areas have slightly better benefits than others.

Undoubtedly there is some things in the Central that are better than other areas. I just wanted to know what they were. In all honesty I realized one of them as I write my response, and for me it outweighs the other differences I mentioned. The wording in the Central supplement has saved my butt before, and I should be more grateful.

Also I did not consider the differences in economic situation,state laws etc. between different regions of the country. I should think before I post. Each supplement is negotiated separately and each has it's own strengths. We can all agree that we have the best benefits when compared to other non-union companies.

After re-reading my posts...Bug and others...I apologize for cumming off confrontational. I sometimes complain about stupid petty things, without thinking first.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years

It's not really a question of need----the bottom line is it boils down to the Teamster Union fighting harder for better benefits in different areas of the country. The stronger the Union membership-the better the contract.