Is it weird as a new preloader to want to become an unloader

john117

Im a preloader and im about to finish my training. But I kinda want to become an unloader. The reason being is that first of all, their job probably is more physical, which I wouldnt mind because I need the exercise anyway. And also, you cant really mess up, where as a preloader you can. You dont have to think at all, you just throw stuff onto the conveyer belt. It seems a lot less stressful being a preloader. Is it possible for me to switch to unloader?

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
It's possible. Usually, but not always, unload is considered the bottom rung starting position. If your mgt team figures they've invested too much into training you at loading, they may be hesitant to move you to the unload. You should just ask though, and see what they say. If you're a superstar at unload, they may feel it's a win/win.

Box Ox

Tell your supervisor you can't stop thinking about circus bears riding unicycles and dolphins balancing balls on their noses during preload. You think it might lead to a total loss of concentration and result in a huge number of misloads unless you're moved to unload.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
very natural feeling but they don't tend to start people in the unload anymore, it's usually the load

ass backwards thinking but that's where all the turnover is...

oldngray

nowhere special
very natural feeling but they don't tend to start people in the unload anymore, it's usually the load

Because you still need to use a little bit of your brain to load but you can unload when brain dead or stoned out of your mind?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You want weird? This is weird...

hBAD44C42

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Im a preloader and im about to finish my training. But I kinda want to become an unloader. The reason being is that first of all, their job probably is more physical, which I wouldnt mind because I need the exercise anyway. And also, you cant really mess up, where as a preloader you can. You dont have to think at all, you just throw stuff onto the conveyer belt. It seems a lot less stressful being a preloader. Is it possible for me to switch to unloader?
This guy gets it.

Unload is gravy.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

If I start a guy in the unload and he makes his 30 before I put him on cars I’m stuck with him if he sucks.

If I start him on cars and find out early I can work with him and try to fix it before he reaches seniority and can cut him loose if nothing improves.

Anybody can unload.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If I start a guy in the unload and he makes his 30 before I put him on cars I’m stuck with him if he sucks.

If I start him on cars and find out early I can work with him and try to fix it before he reaches seniority and can cut him loose if nothing improves.

Anybody can unload.

He should make his 30 on preload, and then screw up big-time.

Instant reassignment.

GenericUsername

FWIW, I spent 2 years loading cars, but this past year, for the days that I have worked the preload shift, I've been unloading. Their thought process, in my case, is that I can do everything but clerk stuff, so if someone doesn't show up or calls out, I can slide into that area and help out. It's a win/win for them and I don't do the same thing every day. The days I don't feel like being at work, I go and take 45 minutes to unload a pup and get the option of going home before the first hour is over. So that's a win/win in my book too.

Box Ox

I don't believe management in this company wants someone who prefers a job that he doesn't want "to think at all" and wants a job that is "a lot less stressful than preload." Definately management material.:raspberry:

You can bet they’re gonna hop up into that unload trailer with him and try!

browntroll

talk to your management but just letting you know expect to get used for both.
basically gonna unload for 3-4 hours then go to preload and help load for the slower/newer guys it happens
alot in my hub.