Is the NM too big?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Does the NM agreement cover too many people?

What I mean is would it be better for most of the contract negotiations to take place on a regional or local level?

As was stated in another thread its pretty much going to be deadline week before the IBT even has a chance to get this taken care of. We have had a TA for over a month and just now finished voting. It'll be another week before there's any plan and a month before any chance of a vote on supplements.

Is the IBT NM too big for their own good or is the IBT just incompetent. These things need to move at a faster pace. Especially in today's world.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Does the NM agreement cover too many people?

What I mean is would it be better for most of the contract negotiations to take place on a regional or local level?

As was stated in another thread its pretty much going to be deadline week before the IBT even has a chance to get this taken care of. We have had a TA for over a month and just now finished voting. It'll be another week before there's any plan and a month before any chance of a vote on supplements.

Is the IBT NM too big for their own good or is the IBT just incompetent. These things need to move at a faster pace. Especially in today's world.

I disagree. The National Master Freight Agreement ratified in 1964 covered over 450,000 bargaining unit members working for over 14,000 trucking companies and that was in an era before e-mail.

UPS simply bull****ted through the first six months of negotiations; almost nothing was accomplished in the opening period set to address language issues before peak season started in 2012, the health care issue came up in late January/early February during economic discussions and was eventually "settled" near the end of negotiations. There would literally be entire spans of time wherein the company and the union would meet for less than 45 minutes per day. After that, it became a wild scramble to get a deal done by mid-April before big shippers starting shifting volume. If UPS was so worried about about losing volume, it makes you wonder why they tried to introduce a formalized two-tiered wage system for future drivers two days before a tentative agreement was reached.

Ultimately, their foot-dragging and bull****ting was rewarded with a concessionary contract. We blinked first.

Brownslave688

I believe our numbers give us great leverage at the bargaining table. It's just something that's crossed my mind. Kind of a thinking out loud thread.

I just feel like in today's age things like the vote count and ballots being sent out in general should move at a quicker pace. It shouldn't be 2 weeks before we even think about fixing these supplements and it will be.

A

anonymous6

have you read the press release about the TA. it's way downplayed. like no big deal. business will go on as usual.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
have you read the press release about the TA. it's way downplayed. like no big deal. business will go on as usual.

IBT put out their press release on the same day UPS put up an announcement on UPSers.com. Both sides don't want to scare big shippers into switching over to FedEx.. I'm actually a little surprised one of the more independently-oriented news outlets hasn't picked up on the dispute.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I disagree. The National Master Freight Agreement ratified in 1964 covered over 450,000. bargaining unit members working for over 14,000 trucking companies and that was in an era before e-mail.

UPS simply bull****ted through the first six months of negotiations; almost nothing was accomplished in the opening period set to address language issues before peak season started in 2012, the health care issue came up in late January/early February during economic discussions and was eventually "settled" near the end of negotiations. There would literally be entire spans of time wherein the company and the union would meet for less than 45 minutes per day. After that, it became a wild scramble to get a deal done by mid-April before big shippers starting shifting volume. If UPS was so worried about about losing volume, it makes you wonder why they tried to introduce a formalized two-tiered wage system for future drivers two days before a tentative agreement was reached.

Ultimately, their foot-dragging and bull****ting was rewarded with a concessionary contract. We blinked first.

I believe our numbers give us great leverage at the bargaining table. It's just something that's crossed my mind. Kind of a thinking out loud thread.

I just feel like in today's age things like the vote count and ballots being sent out in general should move at a quicker pace. It shouldn't be 2 weeks before we even think about fixing these supplements and it will be.

Maybe it is time for online voting? May get a larger turnout. Ballots wont get lost or mishandled.

That's all we need. More 705's and 710's. Those guys are nothing but trouble makers.Always getting better contracts than the rest. Who do they think they are?

Brownslave688

That's all we need. More 705's and 710's. Those guys are nothing but trouble makers.Always getting better contracts than the rest. Who do they think they are?

Any news on your contract. I know someone in 710 I think and he hasn't heard squat.