Is UPS in violation of OHSA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/ illnesses at your building? ( On Topic Only Please)

Integrity

Binge Poster
Topic :

UPS violations of OHSA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/ illnesses at you building.

IMO UPS chronically violates these regulations.

I also think a divided rank and file about the importance of these regulations leave the most vulnerable of our membership at risk of injury and death.

Whose going to be the next to die from the heat? You?

Rest In Peace all my brothers and sisters who have succumbed to the heat while working for UPS.

Steamer

Well, we have our cool solutions training. It will save management from feeling guilty. :cursing:

That being said. It's rather hard to cool down that many cubic feet of space in the heat. And AC is about impossible with the frequent stops. AC works off of heat exchange. It would start over every time the door is open. It's our choice to work here.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Well, we have our cool solutions training. It will save management from feeling guilty. :cursing:

That being said. It's rather hard to cool down that many cubic feet of space in the heat. And AC is about impossible with the frequent stops. AC works off of heat exchange. It would start over every time the door is open. It's our choice to work here.
And you know cool solutions was probably forced on them by the insurance companies as condition for their coverage.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Like our center manager said, avoid drinking sugary sports drinks like Gatorade and you'll be fine. Just eat lots of pickles to replace your electrolytes.

Integrity

Binge Poster
@Steamer,

Thanks for your input.

Do you think “Cool Solutions” training alone puts UPS in compliances with OSHA Regulations? I don’t.

I believe “Cool Solutions” training is good but in reality IMO it is just another tool for UPS to perpetuate the “blame the worker” approach to dealing with injury and death in the workplace.

UPS has proven to me over the years to be very disingenuous with regards to safety compliance, safety training, and in dealing with employee injury and death.

For y’all,
This discussion in not about the AC debate. I will view discussion pertaining to AC as off the topic of this discussion.

Again nice post @Steamer.

Integrity

Binge Poster

@Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Is UPS in violation of OHSA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/ illnesses at your building?

And you know cool solutions was probably forced on them by the insurance companies as condition for their coverage.
@Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I can’t argue with you. In my experience UPS give most of their safety compliance training because the are forced usually by OSHA or other regulations.

IMO insurance companies such as Liberty Mutual tend to do UPS bidding not the other way around. I think they want the big UPS dollars. I do believe they are complicit with UPS in perpetuating the “blaming the worker” safety culture. At least that has been my experience.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Like our center manager said, avoid drinking sugary sports drinks like Gatorade and you'll be fine. Just eat lots of pickles to replace your electrolytes.
@Analbumcover,
Seriously? What was the response to this advice?

Copied from OSHA site:

Heat​

Occupational Heat Exposure Menu Workers' Rights

Prevention » Water. Rest. Shade​

Water

Employers should provide cool water for workers to drink. Proper hydration is essential to prevent heat-related illness. For those working two hours or more, also provide access to additional fluids that contain electrolytes.
For short jobs, cool potable water is sufficient. Workers should be encouraged to drink at least one cup (8 ounces) of water every 20 minutes while working in the heat not just if they are thirsty.
For longer jobs that last more than two hours, employers should provide electrolyte-containing beverages such as sports drinks. Workers lose salt and other electrolytes when they sweat. Substantial loss of electrolytes can cause muscle cramps and other dangerous health problems. Water cannot replace electrolytes; other types of beverages are needed. Water or other fluids provided by the employer should not only be cool, but should also be provided in a location that is familiar to the workers, near the work, easy to access, and in sufficient quantity for the duration of the work.
Workers should be aware that use of certain personal protective equipment (e.g., certain types of respirators and impermeable clothing) can increase the risk of heat-related illness.
Workers should not rely on feeling thirsty to prompt them to drink. They should be reminded to drink on a regular basis to maintain hydration throughout their shift and beyond.

@Analbumcover,

Is UPS in violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

KOG72

I’m full of it
One of the best things to do in this heat is just slow down and pace yourself…there is no sense in trying to be a hero this time of year.

Integrity

Binge Poster
One of the best things to do in this heat is just slow down and pace yourself…there is no sense in trying to be a hero this time of year.
I appreciate your opinion and advise on this issue but that is not the purpose of this discussion thread.

Thank you for your input but @KOG72, do you have an opinion on this:

Do you believe UPS is violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Topic :

UPS violations of OHSA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/ illnesses at you building.

IMO UPS chronically violates these regulations.

I also think a divided rank and file about the importance of these regulations leave the most vulnerable of our membership at risk of injury and death.

Whose going to be the next to die from the heat? You?

Rest In Peace all my brothers and sisters who have succumbed to the heat while working for UPS.
They gave us cooling towels that we are supposed to dunk in ice water & wrap around neck or tie on head like Rambo from from First blood. They claim it will ward off a heat stroke death 😑

Integrity

Binge Poster
They gave us cooling towels that we are supposed to dunk in ice water & wrap around neck or tie on head like Rambo from from First blood. They claim it will ward off a heat stroke death 😑
Interesting idea. I have seen these types of towels used at youth baseball games.

Who exactly gave them to you? Did they also provide the ice water? If so how was this done.

I appreciate this input but it is not exactly the topic of the thread. Thank you for your input but @Shift Inhibit, so you have an opinion on the following:

Do you believe UPS is violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Pace yourself and make sure stay hydrated. It doesn’t help though when you have your supervisor screaming at you to hurry up in 100 degree weather.

Shift Inhibit

Interesting idea. I have seen these types of towels used at youth baseball games.

Who exactly gave them to you? Did they also provide the ice water? If so how was this done.

I appreciate this input but it is not exactly the topic of the thread. Thank you for your input but @Shift Inhibit, so you have an opinion on the following:

The safety committee gave them out . They have ups logos on them and are a brownish color. So assuming ups paid for them .

Integrity

Binge Poster
Pace yourself and make sure stay hydrated. It doesn’t help though when you have your supervisor screaming at you to hurry up in 100 degree weather.
@Mrwong,

Was that 100 degree temp or heat index?

Shift Inhibit

What about the ice water to dip them in?

@Shift Inhibit,
We have to find our own means to cool the towels . Unless you work in building where ice machines are readily available.

Yes , I believe UPS is violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your my firm. But I’m too lazy and don’t care enough to report them.