Is UPS in violation of OHSA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/ illnesses at your building? ( On Topic Only Please)

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Our building provides us with such things.
In tremendous heat it doesn’t matter how much you drink to keep fully hydrated. You just have to try and keep up with it to keep yourself from passing out.
During the peak of the heat I always take a short break after a stop to recuperate and cool down.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Our building provides us with such things.
In tremendous heat it doesn’t matter how much you drink to keep fully hydrated. You just have to try and keep up with it to keep yourself from passing out.
During the peak of the heat I always take a short break after a stop to recuperate and cool down.
Thanks for the input.

@60lbBagofdogfood,

Do you believe UPS is violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

Integrity

Binge Poster
We have to find our own means to cool the towels . Unless you work in building where ice machines are readily available.

Yes , I believe UPS is violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your my firm. But I’m too lazy and don’t care enough to report them.
@Shift Inhibit,

Would you be willing to have a private conversation about this?

rod

Retired 22 years
Grow a pair and take care of yourselves. Quit expecting someone else to hold your hand and walk you through life. Take plenty of ice water with you and slow down if its that hot-----or quit and get an office job. UPS is not and has never been an "airconditioning " kind of job unless you are a desk jockey. File grievances for more fans in both the trucks and buildings. That is all you will ever get from UPS.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Grow a pair and take care of yourselves. Quit expecting someone else to hold your hand and walk you through life. Take plenty of ice water with you and slow down if its that hot-----or quit and get an office job. UPS is not and has never been an "airconditioning " kind of job unless you are a desk jockey. File grievances for more fans in both the trucks and buildings. That is all you will ever get from UPS.
Giving advice on these types of things is not the topic of this thread.

Thank for your input. You obviously have strong feelings about heat related injuries/illnesses in the work place.

@rod,

In your experience.

Do you believe UPS is/ or has been in violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Definitely. our building is in desperate need of new fans. I almost passed out before when I first started.
I won't even use our fans,they are never cleaned, all they do is blow Chinese dirt around that will get you sick.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
@Swanson,

Do you believe UPS is violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?
Yes,building is so short staffed all they care about are numbers.Aside from reciting cool solutions from dok like a robot,they do not care about the workers well being.

quad decade guy

In direct answer to your question. No. At least in Feeders.

Why? Well, define "should". Why wasn't the word "will" or "must" used?

To wit: We "should" do a lot of things........is that the same as has to, will or must?

Large pallets of bottled water are regularly stocked in our feeder operation.This water is regularly iced down in coolers). We had a global message not to drink while driving. Hands on the wheel(drink only when stopped at say your TA). This was questioned(message) and we were quickly told to disregard and drink when needed. The initial global message was sent in response to the in cab camera chaos. Seems the ORS's were/have been inundated with video reports. This led to discipline being started(coaching/talk with about distracted driving). There are ice and water dispensers sprinkled throughout the building. Fans all around including load/unload. Compliance? Seems to be. Is it a cake walk....hardly.

I read over some of the in-depth info from OSHA on heat. Acclimatization seems to be the focus. Taking a few days.

The "regulations" stated are nebulous enough to require more definitive wording....IMO.....to determine compliance.

With respect,

Last edited:

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Is UPS in violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

Management suddenly changed its tune when a driver in a nearby center suffered a heat related injury from drinking nothing but water and not replacing electrolytes.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
@Analbumcover,
Seriously? What was the response to this advice?

Copied from OSHA site:

Heat​

Occupational Heat Exposure Menu Workers' Rights

Prevention » Water. Rest. Shade​

Water

Employers should provide cool water for workers to drink. Proper hydration is essential to prevent heat-related illness. For those working two hours or more, also provide access to additional fluids that contain electrolytes.
For short jobs, cool potable water is sufficient. Workers should be encouraged to drink at least one cup (8 ounces) of water every 20 minutes while working in the heat not just if they are thirsty.
For longer jobs that last more than two hours, employers should provide electrolyte-containing beverages such as sports drinks. Workers lose salt and other electrolytes when they sweat. Substantial loss of electrolytes can cause muscle cramps and other dangerous health problems. Water cannot replace electrolytes; other types of beverages are needed. Water or other fluids provided by the employer should not only be cool, but should also be provided in a location that is familiar to the workers, near the work, easy to access, and in sufficient quantity for the duration of the work.
Workers should be aware that use of certain personal protective equipment (e.g., certain types of respirators and impermeable clothing) can increase the risk of heat-related illness.
Workers should not rely on feeling thirsty to prompt them to drink. They should be reminded to drink on a regular basis to maintain hydration throughout their shift and beyond.

@Analbumcover,

Is UPS in violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?
I agree with @542thruNthru.

My building *does* provide water, and on occasion, electrolyte packets for them.
But I do not expect this from my employer.

Given that the language that you quoted here continually uses the word "should", I don't see it as a requirement.
As long as UPS signs my paycheck, I can always bring my own water and electrolytes.

I do not feel that UPS is in violation of the OSHA language there.