Is UPS in violation of OHSA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/ illnesses at your building? ( On Topic Only Please)

Integrity

Binge Poster
In direct answer to your question. No. At least in Feeders.

Why? Well, define "should". Why wasn't the word "will" or "must" used?

To wit: We "should" do a lot of things........is that the same as has to, will or must?

Large pallets of bottled water are regularly stocked in our feeder operation.This water is regularly iced down in coolers). We had a global message not to drink while driving. Hands on the wheel(drink only when stopped at say your TA). This was questioned(message) and we were quickly told to disregard and drink when needed. The initial global message was sent in response to the in cab camera chaos. Seems the ORS's were/have been inundated with video reports. This led to discipline being started(coaching/talk with about distracted driving). There are ice and water dispensers sprinkled throughout the building. Fans all around including load/unload. Compliance? Seems to be. Is it a cake walk....hardly.

I read over some of the in-depth info from OSHA on heat. Acclimatization seems to be the focus. Taking a few days.

The "regulations" stated are nebulous enough to require more definitive wording....IMO.....to determine compliance.

With respect,
Appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Management suddenly changed its tune when a driver in a nearby center suffered a heat related injury from drinking nothing but water and not replacing electrolytes.
Not surprising at all.

@Analbumcover,

Never got your opinion.

Do you believe UPS is violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I agree with @542thruNthru.

My building *does* provide water, and on occasion, electrolyte packets for them.
But I do not expect this from my employer.

Given that the language that you quoted here continually uses the word "should", I don't see it as a requirement.
As long as UPS signs my paycheck, I can always bring my own water and electrolytes.

I do not feel that UPS is in violation of the OSHA language there.
@BadIdeaGuy ,

Check this out.

Does it change your answer?

Thanks.

Heat - Standards | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Are you referring to this section?

Under the General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are required to provide their employees with a place of employment that "is free from recognized hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious harm to employees." The courts have interpreted OSHA's general duty clause to mean that an employer has a legal obligation to provide a workplace free of conditions or activities that either the employer or industry recognizes as hazardous and that cause, or are likely to cause, death or serious physical harm to employees when there is a feasible method to abate the hazard. This includes heat-related hazards that are likely to cause death or serious bodily harm.
I still disagree with it being an OSHA violation, UNLESS the heat is such that just being present in the building would be likely to cause death or serious bodily harm.

If it's 100 degrees, and the trailers are like ovens, employees need to slow down.
They need to step out of the trailers.
They need to take breaks.

We don't recognize UPS's production standards.
As long as the employee is working SAFELY to the best of his ability, I don't think it matters if they go far far slower.
I'm pretty sure any reasonable steward would defend an employee taking reasonable steps to avoid heat related injuries, and make sure management didn't harass them for it.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

I still disagree with it being an OSHA violation, UNLESS the heat is such that just being present in the building would be likely to cause death or serious bodily harm.

If it's 100 degrees, and the trailers are like ovens, employees need to slow down.

As long as the employee is working SAFELY to the best of his ability, I don't think it matters if they go far far slower.
I'm pretty sure any reasonable steward would defend an employee taking reasonable steps to avoid heat related injuries, and make sure management didn't harass them for it.
This is why production numbers aren’t recognized by the union.

Let’s be real. The whole hub is an OSHA violation. We had a new hub next to us that had to rip out their air conditioning system because “if this hub has one, they would have to have it everywhere.”

Integrity

Binge Poster
In part yes.
Please don't think I'm trying to be obtuse or interrogate you. We're just talking.

What act are you referring to when you say "it" ?

Is managements response to UPS "Cool Solutions" training in your building always above board?
Does your management team sees that this happens?
Agree 100%. But management tries to coerce and harass many with this.
I agree, does your management team support and encourage this as well?
If a management person harasses an employee for following the UPS "Cool Solutions" training to the letter then wouldn't this qualify as a grievance but also as an OSHA violation?

onewithedd

Our manager is very good with us at not being strict on stopping to refresh or stop inside a cool location, however one of our on car sups is not ok with his management style and is a slave to the ups way. (He’s trying to make a name for himself) He try’s to harass the newer drivers who won’t defend themselves but leaves us Sr drivers alone. Personally I don’t think he will make it much farther than an on car supe. TG. Other than him our boss is doing the right thing! they do have boxes of “instant” electrolyte packs to add to a bottle of water available to us

Yeet

Our manager is very good with us at not being strict on stopping to refresh or stop inside a cool location, however one of our on car sups is not ok with his management style and is a slave to the ups way. (He’s trying to make a name for himself) He try’s to harass the newer drivers who won’t defend themselves but leaves us Sr drivers alone. Personally I don’t think he will make it much farther than an on car supe. TG. Other than him our boss is doing the right thing! they do have boxes of “instant” electrolyte packs to add to a bottle of water available to us
He will be gone 2 years tops. I’ve seen his type come and go.

rod

Retired 22 years
Giving advice on these types of things is not the topic of this thread.

Thank for your input. You obviously have strong feelings about heat related injuries/illnesses in the work place.

@rod,

In your experience.

Do you believe UPS is/ or has been in violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?
My experiences with UPS and OSHA has lead me to believe that UPS is in bed with OSHA just like they are with the Union. Lots of backroom deals are made that you and I will never know about. If anybody can show me where it says in some OSHA regulation book that employees cannot be forced to work in temperatures above "X" amount of degrees please post it. I'm sure their are some vague regulations out there but they would be open to debate and probably could be interpreted a dozen different ways.

Yeet

My experiences with UPS and OSHA has lead me to believe that UPS is in bed with OSHA just like they are with the Union. Lots of backroom deals are made that you and I will never know about.
9dfaeacd-31e3-4f41-8fb4-4086d543e4d9_text.gif

quad decade guy

My experiences with UPS and OSHA has lead me to believe that UPS is in bed with OSHA just like they are with the Union. Lots of backroom deals are made that you and I will never know about. If anybody can show me where it says in some OSHA regulation book that employees cannot be forced to work in temperatures above "X" amount of degrees please post it. I'm sure their are some vague regulations out there but they would be open to debate and probably could be interpreted a dozen different ways.
THIS IS WHY NOTHING EVER HAPPENS WHEN SOME ONE IS KILLED. Injured or anything else.

Why do you think pkg cars are the hot boxes they still are? Hot trailers.....all the rest.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Thanks for your input but I really don’t want to stray from the topic.

I think the idea of UPS and OSHA “in bed” with each other will make an excellent topic in a different thread. I definitely don’t believe this.

@rod,

What is your opinion on the topic:

Do you believe UPS is/or has been in violation of OSHA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/illnesses at your building?

I know the awareness of the dangers of Heat related injuries/illnesses is relatively recent so I would understand if it was after your time at UPS.

Integrity

Binge Poster
THIS IS WHY NOTHING EVER HAPPENS WHEN SOME ONE IS KILLED. Injured or anything else.
My experience has been and the sad thing is that most often that is the only time that action is taken.

Unfortunately it’s too late for the injured employee or worse, the dead employee and the family.

We can talk about this a different discussion thread, coming soon.
Why do you think pkg cars are the hot boxes they still are? Hot trailers.....all the rest.
Good questions for the upcoming thread.

rickyb

Topic :

UPS violations of OHSA’s regulations regarding Heat related injuries/ illnesses at you building.

IMO UPS chronically violates these regulations.

I also think a divided rank and file about the importance of these regulations leave the most vulnerable of our membership at risk of injury and death.

Whose going to be the next to die from the heat? You?

Rest In Peace all my brothers and sisters who have succumbed to the heat while working for UPS.
death toll expected to go up with climate breakdown

america is in violation of basic human decency.

Yeet

I don’t think so. Another thread on this very topic coming soon.
Tell me what you think then of KETER coming in to audit us before OSHA? If we pass KETER, then we get a pass on OSHA. This goes deeper than you know.