Is your UPS check enough? Are you making it?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well people are going to think you're retarded. The message you convey by screaming "my mortgage is $3400 durr hurr" can be just as easily relayed by a dunce cap. You're making yourself an easy mark to scammers, because you are showing just how easily it is to work you.
Houses are appreciating assets.

Not really anything wrong with borrowing a lot and paying for it with tomorrow's depreciated dollars. Especially if you get a low interest rate.

Car loans are just dumb though.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Again to each their own, but it sounds like he must have a significant other who also works. The allure of this job was that my wife could stay home with the kids when they were growing up. I haven’t had a car payment since 2006 and I personally don’t plan to ever again. Starting off with $4500 worth of car and house payment before the month begins is rough. Doing it for the next 20 years is brutal. I certainly wish you the best luck.
What are these car and mortgage payments you speak of??

Nah

Not really anything wrong with borrowing a lot and paying for it with tomorrow's depreciated dollars. Especially if you get a low interest rate.

Well don't expect me to contribute to your gofundme if you have a $3400 mortgage.

JL 0513

Well don't expect me to contribute to your gofundme if you have a $3400 mortgage.
I'm trying to figure out what decade you're living in. Median RENT price in MA is $3,100/mo. You're getting all bent out of shape by me stating today's cost of living like I'm some crazy person. When and where did you buy your house? You could easily go on Realtor.com and see for yourself. I'm paying way less than people buying today with higher prices AND double the interest rates.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

If you're borrowing at todays interest rates to invest in the massively inflated and manipulated housing market, it seems like a very risky proposition.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If you're borrowing at todays interest rates to invest in the massively inflated and manipulated housing market, it seems like a very risky proposition.
It's really not that big of a hassle to refinance when rates drop. You can do it almost entirely online. They sent the notary to my house to finalize everything. Think I spoke to an actual human maybe twice.

JL 0513

:censored2: that. $800 is high AF around here.
This is why we can't have these types of conversations online. People who live in West Virginia think people in MA NY, or CA are insane because of the prices they have to pay for real estate. Everywhere is different, no need to knock people personally for the cost of living elsewhere. You couldn't rent your parents basement for $800 a month here.

Thebrownblob

Absolutely homes will appreciate long term one thing most don’t think about upfront is the long-term rise of property tax. Not to mention unless you plan on moving to a different city with more affordable housing. Even if you have an $800,000 house and sell it you really can’t go anywhere in the city you live in.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
It's really not that big of a hassle to refinance when rates drop. You can do it almost entirely online. They sent the notary to my house to finalize everything. Think I spoke to an actual human maybe twice.
Problem is the amortization schedule isn't in your favor.

If you borrow 500K at todays rates, you're paying close to 40K a year in interest, and only accruing about 5K a year in equity.

Unless you have reason to believe your property is going to appreciate in value by 8%+ annually, I just don't see it as a good time to purchase a property with debt.

Thebrownblob

If you borrow 500K at todays rates, you're paying close to 40K a year in interest, and only accruing about 5K a year in equity.

Unless you have reason to believe your property is going to appreciate in value by 8%+ annually, I just don't see it as a good time to purchase a property with debt.
Actually, I can see homes depreciating in many markets. It’s really a gamble right now.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

When rates drop home prices rise. You can wait for low rates but you're going to end up paying more for the home. You might as well just buy the house you want in your budget and refinance when the time comes.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
When rates drop home prices rise. You can wait for low rates but you're going to end up paying more for the home. You might as well just buy the house you want in your budget and refinance when the time comes.
Home prices rise when demand is higher than the supply.
It's not as simple as a direct correlation to the rates.

Median Sale price is about 30% higher than it was towards the end of 2020.
The current interest rate is 4% higher than it was back then.

There's still way too much free money, and everyone is just blindly assuming that the charts all move up and to the right.