It’s about to get real here in 705!

F

Frankie's Friend

You think shippers are going to cancel shipping contracts with UPS because Hoffa stopped UPS from going on strike?
Depends on their loyalty. That post was in response to Bucky's post about public support. There are some strong union cities that support unions with every resource they have.

If they threaten to drop union contracts to protest it would not surprise me.

F

Frankie's Friend

They made the news because the drivers were fired, not because they were not allowed to strike.
There are areas in the country that you just dont screw with union members (Chicago, Philadelphia) and any type of blow back would not surprise me.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If they threaten to drop union contracts to protest it would not surprise me.

You do realize that this would be hurting the same people they are "trying" to help by showing support?

Shipper: I am going to pull my shipping contract from UPS, who had nothing to do with not allowing a strike, to support the workers that Hoffa would not allow to strike.

I do realize that if they did go on strike, I would have to use someone else besides UPS anyway.

I also realize that by pulling my contract from UPS that I will probably cause layoffs to the same people I am showing support for.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There are areas in the country that you just dont screw with union members (Chicago, Philadelphia) and any type of blow back would not surprise me.

OK, but this is the Union, in fact, the General President of the International Union, who would be the one making the decision.

Tony Q

Back in the 1980’s there was a labor dispute between UPS and the Teamsters. Ups stopped delivering in Philadelphia and drained the system there. I can’t provide you a link but it did happen.

F

Frankie's Friend

You do realize that this would be hurting the same people they are "trying" to help by showing support?

Shipper: I am going to pull my shipping contract from UPS, who had nothing to do with not allowing a strike, to support the workers that Hoffa would not allow to strike.

I do realize that if they did go on strike, I would have to use someone else besides UPS anyway.

I also realize that by pulling my contract from UPS that I will probably cause layoffs to the same people I am showing support for.
Same thing happened in 97.
Our workers went to ups shippers and asked them to shut down the shipments to bolster the company's willingness to settle our issues more quickly.
I saw a lot of signs saying Dont Ship UPS posed during the strike.
I see the facts you are saying but I've seen it work the other way too.
Public image is extremely important to this company and especially now that we have stiff competition.

F

Frankie's Friend

@Mugarolla , if this mess continues to crop up every 5 years I believe we will see some adverse reactions in the company's shipping volume because...
#1. People (the general public and shippers) are getting weary of the conflict and threat of work stoppages and
#2. Price is starting to dictate carriers since there are other options.

If one day Ibt leadership is in tune with real issues and the communication is truly open to the membership then things will be ok, imo.
If not, God help us retired and active members.

Tony Q

Because of the series of events regarding UPS small package and freight this year UPS will lose volume. Customers are becoming increasingly weary of this cycle every 5 years. I don’t wish to scare anyone in making this statement, just stating my perception and feedback from customers that rely on our services. There will be more options 5 years from now.

Amazon is offering 50 percent cheaper shipping than UPS for some sellers

To those who say this option is a stretch, remember that a lot of people pay for things based solely on cost.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Dont screw with unions in Philly.

I agree with you and most of what you said.

The only problem is that this is a Local Union against the International. This is Union against Union.

labor dispute between UPS and the Teamsters

company's willingness to settle our issues more quickly

If it was Union against Company, like it was in '97, the public may be behind 705.

#1. People (the general public and shippers) are getting weary of the conflict and threat of work stoppages and

Yes they are. Do you know how bad UPS wants a no strike clause like the Postal Union?

So now, their only option is to try and get contracts done early, or to implement technology that can replace the Teamster if all else fails.

#2. Price is starting to dictate carriers since there are other options.

Not really, there has almost always been other options. USPS, RPS, DHL, FedEx, plus a plethora of other local delivery options.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Because of the series of events regarding UPS small package and freight this year UPS will lose volume. Customers are becoming increasingly weary of this cycle every 5 years. I don’t wish to scare anyone in making this statement, just stating my perception and feedback from customers that rely on our services. There will be more options 5 years from now.

To those who say this option is a stretch, remember that a lot of people pay for things based solely on cost.

Did you even read the article.

It currently handles only small package shipments between third-party merchants and Amazon warehouses in the Los Angeles area and does not include final delivery to customers' homes.

The invitation to the program says the current rates are "promotional pricing," hinting they could rise.

Tony Q

Did you even read the article.

It currently handles only small package shipments between third-party merchants and Amazon warehouses in the Los Angeles area and does not include final delivery to customers' homes.

The invitation to the program says the current rates are "promotional pricing," hinting they could rise.
Everything has a starting point. Case in point, the universe.

F

Frankie's Friend

I agree with you and most of what you said.

The only problem is that this is a Local Union against the International. This is Union against Union.

If it was Union against Company, like it was in '97, the public may be behind 705.

Yes they are. Do you know how bad UPS wants a no strike clause like the Postal Union?

So now, their only option is to try and get contracts done early, or to implement technology that can replace the Teamster if all else fails.

Not really, there has almost always been other options. USPS, RPS, DHL, FedEx, plus a plethora of other local delivery options.
FDX ate RPS, Caliber Logistics, Viking, American Frt, and whoever else by now.

Lose 20% to Amazon, P.O., and FDX =s 60%.
Then what?

The economy and general public will adjust.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

In ‘97 there were only a few options.

USPS
RPS
Airborne
FedEx

All with limited capacity.
Airborne was typically exports and air volume.

PO was a joke and didnt retain much of our volume 5 yrs later.

FedEx and RPS failed miserably.

Our volume was roughly 11 million pkgs daily. Now, by the last report I saw, FDX volume was around 14 million daily and ours was 22 million.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Making the news like they did in NYC is helpful but cancelling shipping contracts with package and freight speaks louder than media reports of worker and local government outrage.
I think New York congresswoman or congressmen were also involved with this.... absolutely stupid move on UPS’ part....that whole mgt team from the division manager all the way down to the on car sup should have been fired....pathetic

bowhnterdon

I cannot see any Company taking a hit on the bottom line to support Union members. Maybe in the past, not now..