It has begun

rod

Retired 22 years
In my mind I love all that tactical stuff. I almost signed up for the service, even spoke to a recruiter but decided on school instead. I always wondered if I had it in me to serve. I tip my hat to you sir.
It was quite an experience. Something I feel proud of doing.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was going to say an M 48. My Guard unit had those in the mid 1980s. later got the M 60A3s. Later still M 1s

The M 60 Tank was developed from the M 48. The 48 was more of a WWII / Korean War tank although I'm sure some saw action in Vietnam in the early years. The week I spent assigned as a crew member on an M 60 was something else. You feel like Superman riding around on one of those -- much more so than on a M 113 Personnel Carrier.

oldngray

nowhere special
The M 60 Tank was developed from the M 48. The 48 was more of a WWII / Korean War tank although I'm sure some saw action in Vietnam in the early years. The week I spent assigned as a crew member on an M 60 was something else. You feel like Superman riding around on one of those -- much more so than on a M 113 Personnel Carrier.
The Marines were still using M 60's during Desert Storm. Army always gets new toys first.

rod

Retired 22 years
As you should. God help us, if there is ever another draft.
I volunteered the same week I turned 18.
Its hard to say what would happen if the Draft ever got re-instated. I just laugh when I hear a younger person say that they would never use a draft again. They would start it again in a heartbeat under the right circumstances. I do feel women should be included the next time around though. Sometimes things can comeback to bite you you know---like that equality thing.

oldngray

nowhere special
I trained using a M-14 (10 pounds heavier than a cow) in basic training. I never touched a M-16 until I got to Vietnam.
M-14 is a great rifle but a couple of pounds heavier, yeah. I only fired civilian versions of it since we had already switched to the M-16 when I was in

Karma...

There is much to be said about 2 years active or 2 years alternate service for both women and men with no exceptions.....I was in USMC way back when and shot the M14, M16 and AK47......its the motion that makes it rock

old levi's

blank space
Its hard to say what would happen if the Draft ever got re-instated. I just laugh when I hear a younger person say that they would never use a draft again. They would start it again in a heartbeat under the right circumstances. I do feel women should be included the next time around though. Sometimes things can comeback to bite you you know---like that equality thing.

90% would not comply, they would just say FU, I'm not putting myself in harm's way

rod

Retired 22 years
90% would not comply, they would just say FU, I'm not putting myself in harm's way

Then they can go learn Chinese, Russian, or any one of a dozen other languages and not complain about it. I'm a firm believer that it don't have to be a MAJOR player to reek havoc in the USA. All it takes is some power grids to be knocked out, cell phone service interrupted and the internet to go down and there would be panic in the streets. Any one of the 3 would do it.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Then they can go learn Chinese, Russian, or any one of a dozen other languages and not complain about it. I'm a firm believer that it don't have to be a MAJOR player to reek havoc in the USA. All it takes is some power grids to be knocked out, cell phone service interrupted and the internet to go down and there would be panic in the streets. Any one of the 3 would do it.
Just shutdown Facebook, total meltdown . People would be jumping off rooftops