It sucks how you good you look can depend on some stoner

watdaflock?

I once heard a new part-time sup use EXACTLY those words....he is no longer employed with UPS
Our most recent PT Sup holds the record for misloads at 12 in a day. He was loading two trailers. Thankfully he got transferred to another hub.

Most employees who become PT Sups simply couldn't do the job.

Packmule

While it may be management's responsibility drivers are the ones who have to deal with it on a daily basis. A good driver can turn a poor preloader in to a good one.
How can a driver do this? In our building we are not allowed to be in the cars prior to start time much less coaching a preloader. Besides, they have oh so many part time mini managers whose sole job it is to train preloaders. Perhaps if I didn't see them standing around staring into space some loaders would improve. FT mgmt could address this, but I just get a bad reputation trying to do someone else's job.
I do respect many of the opinions you have Upstate, but on this one you are wrong.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
While it may be management's responsibility drivers are the ones who have to deal with it on a daily basis. A good driver can turn a poor preloader in to a good one.
No, a good driver doesn't pick up the slack of bad management not supervising employees because they are bad management or to busy doing hourly work. A bad preloader is an indication of bad supervision and/or training. I don't know about you but I have enough work myself, nevermind doing someone else's job.

AKCoverMan

We had a new driver who was in his 30 days. The loader for the training route should not be loading that car as he is just overwhelmed at the amount of work that car gets. As you can imagine, the new driver was struggling.

I asked my PDS if any consideration was given during the qualification process for a bad preloader. His answer made a lot of sense-----if a driver is able to get through a day with a bad preloader he should have no problem working with a good preloader.

Get thru the day and scratching are two different things. Package selection time can go thru the roof with poorly loaded car and there is no way to make it up later. We get scant few seconds to locate the package. Often this is unrealistic.

guyinthebrownbox

If you are still in your 30 day period and having a problem with your preloader, show up early. I don't know about your management team, but mine had no problem with me showing up early to make sure my load was squared away. Do I recommend this every day? Absolutely not don't give them anything. However if you are still in your 30 day period, besides being safe, you DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO to qualify. I sorted my truck enough to get me roughly 100 stops off(which usually where the bulk of residentials started). Also gives you a chance to talk to the preloader for a bit. Pick their brain some. See how they load.

As a former preloader, I appreciated the drivers that would BS with me for a few minutes. And when I became a driver, getting into a preloader mindset helped me find stuff and organize the truck accordingly

In terms of a "great driver." A great driver can overcome a bad preloader.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Packmule

If you are still in your 30 day period and having a problem with your preloader, show up early. I don't know about your management team, but mine had no problem with me showing up early to make sure my load was squared away. Do I recommend this every day? Absolutely not don't give them anything. However if you are still in your 30 day period, besides being safe, you DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO to qualify. I sorted my truck enough to get me roughly 100 stops off(which usually where the bulk of residentials started). Also gives you a chance to talk to the preloader for a bit. Pick their brain some. See how they load.

As a former preloader, I appreciated the drivers that would BS with me for a few minutes. And when I became a driver, getting into a preloader mindset helped me find stuff and organize the truck accordingly

In terms of a "great driver." A great driver can overcome a bad preloader.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I used to do this stuff on my younger years. Some people abused it. Now no one is allowed in there at all. They claim drivers were doing pt work for free.
To a degree I agree. Just think the preloaders need to do their work correctly!
Sorry, today you'd get warning lettered out of a job in our bld. Not judging, just saying drivers cannot help preloaders around here. But preloaders can kill a driver with bad loads.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No, a good driver doesn't pick up the slack of bad management not supervising employees because they are bad management or to busy doing hourly work. A bad preloader is an indication of bad supervision and/or training. I don't know about you but I have enough work myself, nevermind doing someone else's job.
How can a PT sup properly train a new loader when many are former loaders who couldn't hack it? A few years ago we had an unloader promoted to PT management. They had this guy running a belt and he barely even knew how to load a PC.

wayfair

swollen member
My preloader does the best he can... today preload wasn't wrapped up AGAIN... my car had around 250 pieces on it, the car on one side he loads, is a 1200 with close to 500 pieces and the "newer" 800 on the other side had 300 pieces on it.
My loader has a combo job where the first is putting pal labels on all packages... well they don't pull him off that until 4 and he's gotta get 3 trucks loaded... it's not his fault some days' load sucks :censored2:, he just doesn't have time to get it all done

Packmule

My preloader does the best he can... today preload wasn't wrapped up AGAIN... my car had around 250 pieces on it, the car on one side he loads, is a 1200 with close to 500 pieces and the "newer" 800 on the other side had 300 pieces on it.
My loader has a combo job where the first is putting pal labels on all packages... well they don't pull him off that until 4 and he's gotta get 3 trucks loaded... it's not his fault some days' load sucks :censored2:, he just doesn't have time to get it all done
I would agree that they often expect way too much. I have been a staunch advocate for scanners on the back of cars to give loaders the technology backup UPS gives drivers through diad.
Still, the op's point is what a bad load does to drivers.

Thebrownstreak

I've had the whole range of loaders. My first loader was absolutely amazing. The kid was dumb as a rock to talk to, but form some reason he was a elfin genius when it came to loading package cars. They seriously could have taken pictures to show how a good load was suppose to look like. He also loaded the 4 heaviest loads in the building. Move 7 years into the future to my last loader. I went out on a route that would have somewhere between 60-70 stops….max pieces would be 100….there were times i'd have to look on every shelf to find the package. It quickly became evident that it made more sense to just take 5-10 min and sort the car once i got my airs off.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I would agree that they often expect way too much. I have been a staunch advocate for scanners on the back of cars to give loaders the technology backup UPS gives drivers through diad.
Still, the op's point is what a bad load does to drivers.

They would still find a way to get the wrong package in the wrong truck.

OPTION3

How can a PT sup properly train a new loader when many are former loaders who couldn't hack it? A few years ago we had an unloader promoted to PT management. They had this guy running a belt and he barely even knew how to load a PC.
same can be said for On-Road sups....