It's happening

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
No reports of it being a NATO authorized and backed military operation but there are reports of Turkish air strikes on civilian targets and Kurdish personnel who had been guarding jails holding ISIS prisoners leaving their posts to go fight the Turks.
Trump authorized it!

Box Ox

Lindsey Graham attacks Trump for ‘shamelessly abandoning’ Kurdish allies

"Lindsey Graham has released a scathing statement in defiance of Donald Trump’s decision to pull US troops out of parts of Syria, saying the move “ensures the reemergence of ISIS” in the region.

“Pray for our Kurdish allies who have been shamelessly abandoned by the Trump Administration,” Mr Graham, a close ally of the president in the US Senate, tweeted in a rare rebuke on Tuesday.

Mr Graham came out in swift opposition to the administration’s plan to remove US troops from northeast Syria, saying it would leave a vacuum that could allow the Islamic State to possibly restore its caliphate while also allowing Turkish troops to begin a massive assault on the Kurds, who the US have considered a strategic ally in its fight against terrorism.

His comments came as Turkish fighter jets began bombing the area of Syria in which the country had long planned to carry out a military offensive, with experts citing the abrupt US pullout for paving the way for the assault to take place.

A spokesperson for the SDF, a Kurdish-majority militia that also encompasses several smaller groups, described Mr Trump’s withdrawal as a “stab in the back”.

The militia has been the US' main ally in fighting Isis in Syria and has lost an estimated 11,000 fighters as it fought to take back strongholds from the militants earlier this year.

Mr Graham described the decision as a “disaster in the making” earlier this week and took to the president’s favourite TV network to air his concerns.

“I hope I’m making myself clear how short-sighted and irresponsible this decision is,” Mr Graham told Fox News. “I like President Trump. I’ve tried to help him. This, to me, is just unnerving to its core.”

Other Republicans and military officials have also expressed concerns the move will lead to potentially catastrophic consequences in the region.

Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican who ran against Mr Trump in the 2016 election, said his decision was “a grave mistake that will have implications far beyond Syria.”

newfie

Lindsey Graham attacks Trump for ‘shamelessly abandoning’ Kurdish allies

"Lindsey Graham has released a scathing statement in defiance of Donald Trump’s decision to pull US troops out of parts of Syria, saying the move “ensures the reemergence of ISIS” in the region.

“Pray for our Kurdish allies who have been shamelessly abandoned by the Trump Administration,” Mr Graham, a close ally of the president in the US Senate, tweeted in a rare rebuke on Tuesday.

Mr Graham came out in swift opposition to the administration’s plan to remove US troops from northeast Syria, saying it would leave a vacuum that could allow the Islamic State to possibly restore its caliphate while also allowing Turkish troops to begin a massive assault on the Kurds, who the US have considered a strategic ally in its fight against terrorism.

His comments came as Turkish fighter jets began bombing the area of Syria in which the country had long planned to carry out a military offensive, with experts citing the abrupt US pullout for paving the way for the assault to take place.

A spokesperson for the SDF, a Kurdish-majority militia that also encompasses several smaller groups, described Mr Trump’s withdrawal as a “stab in the back”.

The militia has been the US' main ally in fighting Isis in Syria and has lost an estimated 11,000 fighters as it fought to take back strongholds from the militants earlier this year.

Mr Graham described the decision as a “disaster in the making” earlier this week and took to the president’s favourite TV network to air his concerns.

“I hope I’m making myself clear how short-sighted and irresponsible this decision is,” Mr Graham told Fox News. “I like President Trump. I’ve tried to help him. This, to me, is just unnerving to its core.”

Other Republicans and military officials have also expressed concerns the move will lead to potentially catastrophic consequences in the region.

Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican who ran against Mr Trump in the 2016 election, said his decision was “a grave mistake that will have implications far beyond Syria.”

this perfectly illustrates why we get ourselves into conflicts and never get out

Box Ox

this perfectly illustrates why we get ourselves into conflicts and never get out

I guess I just don’t feel like having 1,000 US special operations soldiers sitting in northern Syria is a heavy price to pay in ensuring relative stability in the region. We’ve got far more soldiers in areas of the world that have far less going on right now.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is true for software rollout as for a war effort.
Untitled.png

newfie

I guess I just don’t feel like having 1,000 US special operations soldiers sitting in northern Syria is a heavy price to pay in ensuring relative stability in the region. We’ve got far more soldiers in areas of the world that have far less going on right now.

yea you might feel different if your son or daughter was one of them

Box Ox

yea you might feel different if your son or daughter was one of them

Special operators’ families are probably even more used to deployments than those of conventional forces. If they’re not in one place overseas, they’re in another. And training and advising the Kurds, one of the few modern and forward-thinking populations in the Middle East is probably preferable to getting shot at or IED’d elsewhere.

bacha29

Volunteer army @bacha29 and @MrFedEx are looking for people to join them in fighting for the Kurds.
Unlike yourself in my time there was no such thing as an "all volunteer" US armed forces. Being the "freedom and liberty" guy you had the freedom and liberty to make the choice on whether or not to enlist . A choice I didn't have. Now being the Desmond Doss of your generation your decision to carry a medical bag rather than a gun ( probably a reserve unit at that) is no more noble then my decision to simply wait for the military to decide if they wanted me and in what capacity because at that time they sent you to whatever branch they not you chose to wherever they wanted to send you to join whatever unit they chose in whatever capacity they chose.