Its Time to Rally the Troops

U

UPSer since 1994

I am amazed at the lack of respect that both hourlies and supervisors have for our company. Keep this in mind, every post on here comes from a self proclaimed "hard worker." Even people who do nothing day in and day out think they "work hard." Due to our make up, there are 2 ways for UPS to continue to compete with FedEx and DHL...1 increase our volume 2 decrease payroll expense. Fact of life. UPS will always try to get the most out of us. I take pride in working for a company with so many people that bust their butts every day. Next time you want to complain, think about our fathers, or grandfathers, and think about what they'd do to make the money and have the benefits that we have. I can't believe how many whiners we have at UPS, and in our country period.

Remember, those of you that complain about the part time wage, talk to your stewards and business agents. The drivers aren't complaining...why? Because the union values them and always makes their pay a priority when negotiating. I would love to see p/t employees start at a higher wage. It would help me staff my operation. Our profits do not go into the pocket of the CEO. They go toward reinvestment in our technology, acquisitions, and planning for the future. Because of our union environment, which I accept and am not complaining about, we can't compete with other shipping companies without cutting payroll expense. We have restructured management stock allotments, pensions, 401K's and benefits recently to cut (or at least spread) cost. Do you know that? Managers and supervisors (not hourly employees) have seen cuts and changes to help the company in the eyes of our investors. I'm a supervisor, and I'm not complaining. I see the long-term need. All of this in an effort to continue to provide top notch benefits to the hourly employees, and continue with raises for everyone.

Speaking of raises. Does anyone realize that getting a raise every year is not the norm? I have friends who haven't received a raise since 9/11. Ours, both management and hourly, happen every year. Maybe not as much as we'd like, but they happen. (Very few management people don't get annual raises). Where else can you go and make $70,000+ a year, have full benefits, a pension (if the Teamsters manage it right) and not even have a high school diploma? Where?? Hard work?....yes, a bad job?...not even close. STOP WHINING AND LET'S GO GET SOME MORE CUSTOMERS AND CREATE MORE JOBS. LET'S ALL FOCUS ON WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO AND GET IT DONE. AND IF UPS IS NOT FOR YOU, DON'T CRY, DON'T FILE 20 GRIEVENCES A WEEK, DON'T COMPLAIN THAT YOU WORK TOO MUCH, MOVE ON TO SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR YOU.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
"I'm a supervisor and I'm not complaining.........."

Then what was the above rant about?

Thank God the union protects us from sups like yourself who try to force your "can't we all work together?" beliefs.

"Don't file 20 grievances a week".......

This is our right-when is management going to treat all of us package drivers with respect? We are the core revenue maker for the whole UPS system but we are constantly under the microscope for any frivolous violations.

moreluck

golden ticket member
upser since 1994.....I appreciate your comments and the intelligent thoughts.

This forum is a very small % of people who work at UPS. As with all forums, it's mostly the "squeaky wheels" who do the whining & complaining.

For the most part, I think UPS'ers are glad to have such a good paying job. Every job has it's good & bad days.

I'm grateful that my hubby worked there for 28 years. It sure was better than selling tires at the Goodyear Store or pumping gas at the Sunoco !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
tourist....I don't think we do, but there used to be and they were usually mechanics too.....it was a long time ago (40 years)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that "upser since 1994" made some good observations. He told it the way he sees it, and he made some good points. I have been working here since '75, and I know how good I have is as a FT driver. This company has been very good to me, nobody in my family has ever had to do without anything. Yes, its a hard job, but that is why I get top pay in this industry. And yes we do come on here to whine and complain sometimes. We do it because we are relating to other people that understand what we go through at work. My wife has no idea of what I go through everyday. Its hard to comprehend what goes on in our work enviroment just like it is hard to understand what she goes through.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am amazed at the lack of respect that both hourlies and supervisors have for our company. Keep this in mind, every post on here comes from a self proclaimed "hard worker." Even people who do nothing day in and day out think they "work hard." Due to our make up, there are 2 ways for UPS to continue to compete with FedEx and DHL...1 increase our volume 2 decrease payroll expense. Fact of life. UPS will always try to get the most out of us. I take pride in working for a company with so many people that bust their butts every day. Next time you want to complain, think about our fathers, or grandfathers, and think about what they'd do to make the money and have the benefits that we have. I can't believe how many whiners we have at UPS, and in our country period.

Remember, those of you that complain about the part time wage, talk to your stewards and business agents. The drivers aren't complaining...why? Because the union values them and always makes their pay a priority when negotiating. I would love to see p/t employees start at a higher wage. It would help me staff my operation. Our profits do not go into the pocket of the CEO. They go toward reinvestment in our technology, acquisitions, and planning for the future. Because of our union environment, which I accept and am not complaining about, we can't compete with other shipping companies without cutting payroll expense. We have restructured management stock allotments, pensions, 401K's and benefits recently to cut (or at least spread) cost. Do you know that? Managers and supervisors (not hourly employees) have seen cuts and changes to help the company in the eyes of our investors. I'm a supervisor, and I'm not complaining. I see the long-term need. All of this in an effort to continue to provide top notch benefits to the hourly employees, and continue with raises for everyone.

Speaking of raises. Does anyone realize that getting a raise every year is not the norm? I have friends who haven't received a raise since 9/11. Ours, both management and hourly, happen every year. Maybe not as much as we'd like, but they happen. (Very few management people don't get annual raises). Where else can you go and make $70,000+ a year, have full benefits, a pension (if the Teamsters manage it right) and not even have a high school diploma? Where?? Hard work?....yes, a bad job?...not even close. STOP WHINING AND LET'S GO GET SOME MORE CUSTOMERS AND CREATE MORE JOBS. LET'S ALL FOCUS ON WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO AND GET IT DONE. AND IF UPS IS NOT FOR YOU, DON'T CRY, DON'T FILE 20 GRIEVENCES A WEEK, DON'T COMPLAIN THAT YOU WORK TOO MUCH, MOVE ON TO SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR YOU.

Good post. Maybe it is a rant and maybe it's not. If it is I don't think it's a bad one. I can see where you are comming from on every point. Be warned though. You'll get attacked for this by some and most of them are probably the dead weight in their hubs/centers that we all have. I agree that part-timers should start out a little higher on the pay scale. I agree that UPS is right in trying to cut expenses as long as they do it correctly and don't take advantage of the employees to do it. I'm not sure I can agree nor disagree about filing grievences though because I can't determine how many of them are warranted and how many aren't. Grievences are rare in my building. I do realize that it's hard for supervisors to avoid "supervisor working grievences" at the spur of the moment when there are numerous call ins and no cal no shows and none of the people that signed the list to get called in to cover for those abscences those won't answer their phones. It's hard on superivsors and hourlies too. The grievences I agree with are the ones where sups blantantly violate the contract.

browniehound

tourist....I don't think we do, but there used to be and they were usually mechanics too.....it was a long time ago (40 years)

There is a gas station 1/2 mile down my street that was opened in 1971 in which the mechanics also pump the gas to this day. They have a kid part-time on evenings, but for the most part its a father-son mechanic team that still pumps the gas. Probably one of the last remaining few. And its not like I live out in the sticks, the station is on a busy suburban street

Fnix

Alot of you people say top pay in the industry what does that mean? I know someone in Pennsylvania who drives cement trucks and makes $2000 a week and the work they do is so easy and they get pension after 11 years. This guy is retired in a house he owns already at 40.

LeddySS98

The starting wage for a parter does seem low, BUT it does come with the full benefit package so thats one thing to also consider. Where else do you get that good of a healthcare package at a part time position.

Also, I think it could help if the loaders had some kind of time schedule and on the days they get the cars loaded faster than what the computer says they should have been able to, then why not allow them to bonus the extra time like a driver does...

IMHO

mule

Due to our make up, there are 2 ways for UPS to continue to compete with FedEx and DHL...1 increase our volume 2 decrease payroll expense. Fact of life.

This is not entirely true. Increasing the volume would increase revenue, but it would also increase costs. Cutting payroll expenses is the easy way to lower one variable cost of the entire variable cost structure. All managers know this. Most supervisors believe that the only way to reduce costs is to make employees more productive and hire less employees or to cut the hourly rate. The key is to keep wages moderately increasing, continue to increase volume, and look for ways to build efficiency into the system. Supervisors don't build nothing. They take orders like the rest of the hourlies. Actually, there is very little difference between the hourly and supervisors.

Where else can you go and make $70,000+ a year, have full benefits, a pension (if the Teamsters manage it right) and not even have a high school diploma? Where?? Hard work?....yes, a bad job?...not even close.

Until recently, you did not have to have a college degree to be a full-time supervisor. In fact, the college degree is not even necessary for supervision. UPS has its own school to teach supervisors how to pull levers.

I would also like to respond to your assumption that having a degree is somehow going to bring you higher wages. A degree simple states that you have passed the examines and courses that are required by a university. It also states that you are educated to a certain degree level. How does this relate to higher wages? Do you need JD or a law degree to practice law? No. You must have passed the BAR examine to practice law in a particular state. Most companies use the degree requirement as a filter. By requiring a degree, a company builds efficiency into its hire process; thus, the company is able to reduce search and hiring cost. See, you don't need to cut wages to keep costs down.

What determines wages? Most small companies use the market to determine wages. Larger companies use market and impact. What is impact? Wages are determine based on how much impact the position has on the bottom line. In others words, if a managers is able to efficiently operate an area, the managers is able to reduce costs. By reducing costs, you increase profits. What if the manager is not able to efficiently operate his or hers area? The manager can simple reduce payroll expenses. This move always makes the manger look like he or she is operating efficiently. But as you can see, the manager just simple laid people off and required less people to do more work. Does the manager's manager care. Not if the existing employees stay, and the manger's costs are reduced.

Does anyone realize that getting a raise every year is not the norm?

How else do you keep the knowledge at a company? If you eliminated pay increases, your turnover rate will most likely increase. You can't build a successful efficient operation if your knowledge base is walking out the door. It cost money to train employees, and it takes lots of time before these employees are efficient and productive. This would not be the mindset if you are supervisor that views employees as cattle to herd into the door and push them until they drop or quite.

If UPS continues to expand, look for more efficient means of operating its business, treats its employees with the highest regard, and continues to build its image, UPS will be very successful.

Remember, economics is the study of the distribution of resources. Nearly everyones argument with a corporations is how to distribute the companies resources. If an employee makes $100,000 a year, it might not be a big of burden if the company is making profits in the billions. Who else gets a large portion of the profits? The share holders. The ones that are not working every day at UPS.

raceanoncr

Sniff...I'll try to do better...sniff, sniff, I REALLY will! Don't yell at me again, please...I'll TRY to do better! Sniff...

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
I admire your allegence to the company. I used to feel that way also, but let something happen to you and see if the company is as devoted to you as you are to it. We all need to thank God for our blessings, but the UPS of 2008 is not the UPS I started for in the early eighties. Everyone is like a disposable razor, get a little dull and get ready to get trashed. Jim Casey said something to the effect that "We value employee/customer complaints", because they help us to get better. It is way too common for people to work at a comfortable pace and think they are "killing" themselves. I agree. But let the best supervisor you know get sick, or let the best driver have an accident and see how much it counts for with our company. We do need to rally the troops, to become more competitive, more safe, and demand some level of dedication in return. Our company's problem is that we are not a people company and decisions are not based on individuals, our company is a profit making machine that makes decisions like each person is "everybody"'. UPS's competitive position will be much enhanced by earning the trust and dedication of it's employees. Then, and only then will the complaints, and the true feeling of being a team ready to take on FedEx, USPS and DHL and anybody else that comes down the pike. It can happen, but it will have to start at the top, and bottom.... sometime, somewhere, God willing, and meet at the middle. :clubbing:

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
If you are a supervisor, get sick and unable to perform your regular duties and then "counsel" with everyone else about their concerns. If you are that happy, you must not be doing your job, or just too naive to see, there are real problems facing us and the company leadership must step up and coach, not police. Begin to treat people as a team, instead of inmates and watch the scoreboard.

filthpig

Alot of you people say top pay in the industry what does that mean? I know someone in Pennsylvania who drives cement trucks and makes $2000 a week and the work they do is so easy and they get pension after 11 years. This guy is retired in a house he owns already at 40.
Sounds like you need to apply at the Redi-Mix plant.

filthpig

I'm one of those who is very thankful to have the job I have. I've been with the company for 20 yrs. (12 FT) and while I do go through periods of hating my job, I've come to accept the fact that I'm here of my own accord, and if I don't like it then I should've educated myself better.
I think that the ones who make the most racket about working here make up about 10% of the workforce and cause 90% of the problems. If the job's that bad, then why don't you do something else? And if you can't do anything else because you're not educated or whatever, then whose fault is that?
It's not going to change. It's a hard job. That's why we get paid what we do.

doctor brown 688

Upser 1994,
First let me say UPS is making a huge profit,but is it as much as they would like? No,never will be(typical unrealistic UPS goal),and we will always hear how it is hourly wages that are killing the company(don't agree to them in contract negotiations then). Sounds like you need to be the first to step up and offer to work for less and refuse that yearly salary increase and bonus,after all it is managements company.Salary is probably the one thing why 90 percent of hourly employees are still with UPS.I look around daily just in my little center and see lots of ways UPS could cut cost and improve on.Get back to service first,improve employee relations(never understood why you would piss off an employee first thing in the morning and then send them out to represent your business)and eliminate the military style waste. All the delivery companies that have popped up in recent years is good for UPS,if nothing else it's been a long time since I've heard a manager laugh at a customer and say "find someone else to ship your stuff then". Just my 2 cents....