Jane Union - special treatment

Do women receive special treatment at your workplace?

• Total voters

oldngray

nowhere special
that would explain this on Hoaxster's desk
curmudgeon_mouse_mat-r5d9d4fa0696d4b91941c4c9570275522_x74vi_8byvr_512.jpg

wage EARNER

I was pulled off my regular job, loading trailers one night and sent to the unload due to a call-in. I asked the sup why he didn't put one of the double shifters in the unload(both were women). He said he didn't think it was right to make a woman unload.

The fact is, management shows preferential treatment to women. Diversity numbers, production, and a cultural belief that women shouldn't have to do any heavy lifting, cause the sups to go out of their way to accommodate the physical and ethical restrictions many women place on themselves.

Yes, some women are hard workers. I work with a 55yo, 5'2'', 110lb woman who can out-load, out-unload, out-sort 99% of the men in my building. But those are very rare.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was pulled off my regular job, loading trailers one night and sent to the unload due to a call-in. I asked the sup why he didn't put one of the double shifters in the unload(both were women). He said he didn't think it was right to make a woman unload.

The fact is, management shows preferential treatment to women. Diversity numbers, production, and a cultural belief that women shouldn't have to do any heavy lifting, cause the sups to go out of their way to accommodate the physical and ethical restrictions many women place on themselves.

Yes, some women are hard workers. I work with a 55yo, 5'2'', 110lb woman who can out-load, out-unload, out-sort 99% of the men in my building. But those are very rare.
If this is true, you needed to file a grievance, use seniority or whatever case you have that you think, and were told were the reasons you were moved. A fair days work, a fair days pay. It does not ask which genitals you own.
If you cannot do any job asked of you, then you should not be there, you should not gain seniority, and if they did shame on management. Tell them to go unload.

Nimnim

The Nim
I've seen preferential treatment given to far more than I'd like to admit. Gender isn't the defining condition even if it's sometimes the case. It's more who that level of supervision likes more, some will favor women, others will favor the bros they get along with best.

Now getting into PT supervision is a different story. It's possible that some women have been overlooked for PT sup, but it's certainly not been the "pretty ones." Though at the same time the people who usually apply for PT sup these days are the people who can't perform their job as an hourly anyways, male or female be damned.