Jane Union - special treatment

Do women receive special treatment at your workplace?

• Total voters

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If they do, which the poll appears to be that they do, then it is wrong. I was hired when I was told, we dont like to have women coz they call off when their kids are sick, monthly, etc. I have never done any of those things.
In hindsight I should have. My son almost died in the er, with a appendix ready to burst, and the hospital could not get hold of me. (pre internet and cell phones) Because after numerous calls to my center, no one told me anyone was calling me, and I was inside then. Until I was leaving my shift.
As a responsible parent. I would never leave a child that sick again. But on the other hand, someone should have paged me. So sometimes people need to call off. Survival. But, I have always told new hires, especially women, dont do it. We had a porter who wanted to go driving, and she was constantly injured. She was a PIA. Hurts everyone to have someone like that on the roster, no matter the sex.
My aplogies for being female, needing a good paying job to support my family, and doing the job, just like the guys.

oldngray

nowhere special
Replace "women" with "men" in that statement and it would be just as true. Or you could just use "people" and cover all your bases.

When one of the women later marries a union official that makes one wonder why she got a truck set up easier for her to drive just for her and special loads.

FilingBluesFL

If they do, which the poll appears to be that they do, then it is wrong. I was hired when I was told, we dont like to have women coz they call off when their kids are sick, monthly, etc. I have never done any of those things.

When I was hired, I was told that I "Wasn't going to make it and I was just a waste of her time to hire" for the holidays.

I was kept on after the holidays, when she was back in the building, She says... "Oh, YOU'RE still here?"

Then a year later, I see her again. "Still here?" "Yup, and doing Saturday airs now..."

Then I made it to a cover driver, and she was just as shocked... I've never seen her again after that last time.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
When I was hired, I was told that I "Wasn't going to make it and I was just a waste of her time to hire" for the holidays.

I was kept on after the holidays, when she was back in the building, She says... "Oh, YOU'RE still here?"

Then a year later, I see her again. "Still here?" "Yup, and doing Saturday airs now..."

Then I made it to a cover driver, and she was just as shocked... I've never seen her again after that last time.

Hope you filed a grievance on her - every time. 37

I drove the old p800 and 500s with the wooden doors, shelves, no power anything for 15 yrs. I really want to know in what bubble of goodness women get this treatment. I sure have never ever seen it. I went out after being on vaca,( coz some guy wrecked my truck ) in POS that you needed a football field to maneuver. For a month, just last summer. No one worried about it, including me. And it had the high step. And since I show up and muscle trucks around just like the guys, in extreme heat, extreme cold, snow up to my earballs, and dont call off when my wife has a doctors appointment,or when I have the sniffles, or when Im tired or sore.......or overworked..... I think I should get 130 to 1$ instead of 70.

Not to be sexist but maybe some tighter pants and a shake of the booty now and then and maybe I could see you getting $1.15.

Wait............I guess that was sexist. :P

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I have unloaded trailers. I have had big strong looking guys who work out daily, walk out of un loading and quit after 1/2 hour. It depends on the person.
Women including myself get no preferential treatment . We are all dispatched according to a route number. We are all just numbers.
I can lift 70 pds, always could. I can lift 150 if I have to. The Good Lord gave me a strong back.
The ones I see get preferential treatment are the brownies. Or the whiners. Such as the 10 who called off during our latest historic cold snap, with temps well below 0. And thanks to those team players, we all had to work longer.
Will they be disciplined? They were all but one, men? Same ones who called off the two days after Christmas>
No it will slide, they are the runners.

See this from the company's POV: the brownies and whiners, aka runners, who hurt us all by allowing the company to forego hiring more drivers, saving money? Why would they get preferential treatment?

True....and some can't handle the physical aspects of unloading/loading.
True. Loading and unloading trailers is brutal. I have worked with woman that were 9 months pregnant in the sort aisle and loading package cars on preload. Never loading or unloading trailers. Some woman will try and not be half bad. At least for a while.

C

chuchu

TFS Seniority is seniority.

Are the women allowed to bump a guy off a route? There ya go.
With a sups help we had that happen and its bull crap.

We had our fill of that chronic disease from this ex-sup and everything that transpired.

The best male manager treats all employees with the same respect, adheres to the contractual language in respect to employees seniority rights and stays EXTREMELY far away from opposite sex favoritism.

From what I've seen, it's quicksand at the very least.