Job cuts are coming

outta hours

Outta hours, you should have practiced harder. According to over 9/5, thats all it takes to be a pro and make 10M a year.

I praciticed thousands of hours.I did as much as I could and went as far as I could go. I could have hung on to the dream a few more seasons,but I realized I had gone as far as I could. What very few people understand is it takes some luck and timing to make it to the Show. Thousands of players were as good or better than me and never even made it out of rookie league ball. A couple of my college pals played in the NFL. One was drafted inthe 3rd round, the other was a free agent. He lasted 2 more seasons than the draftee. You just never know. Glad to be at UPS and I can tell you the people who drive are worth every penny they earn.

over9five

Staff member
Of course we work harder than the Fedex driver. Remember, we have to do the job of THREE Fedx trucks (Express, Ground, and Home Delivery). And all 3 put together don't do the volume we do with ONE truck.

Anyhow, it was great debating you, Audi! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

audi2006

Brownmonster.... you are right, all Fed Ex and DHL deliver is envelopes. Just like USPS. You got me.... we deliver EVERYTHING that is in cardboard.

audi2006

Hey dopey, show me a Fedex or Dhl driver that even came close to delivering and picking up 925 pkgs and 145 stops today like I did. A Fedex express guy on my area doesn't handle that many pieces in a week and Dhl in 3 weeks. I would gladly work for 18 bucks an hour driving a van full of envelopes. I am paid very well and work hard for it. No guilt. As the 10 guys we run through our building every summer say on their third and last day as drivers, you guys are friend'n crazy to do this every day. BM
So why dont you? Sounds like it would be a lot easier on you.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Audi, you got me there. "I" would gladly do less for less. "She" says you'll do what you're doing and like it! (Sad thing is in some sadistic way I enjoy it) BM

satellitedriver

I can not help but respond to a hardworking teamster that believes formal education does not have an effect on leadership capabilities. I for one have more formal education (MBA) than a majority of the "higher ups" and feel that formal education does not make you a better leder. It supports creative thinking which generates more / better ideas and methods to manage effectively. Having an open mind will be the key to our organizations success in the future. Educated people will help us to get there.
I am not a teamster!
I quit them after the stike of 97'. I have a formal education. I was responding to a post where bbbbbbbubba was trying to belittle someone with lesser education to make himself feel better. I never said education does not have an effect.

"It supports creative thinking which generates more/ better ideas and methods to manage effectively."

That's a dubious statement and poor sentence structure.

browniehound

As far as your stock / dividend / numbers rant..... i think you need to take a business class. Learn what exactly a publicly traded company is all about. Its about dividends to the shareholders.
Audi, please correct me if i'm wrong. To most investors, I think its more about the GROWTH of earnings and not so much dividends that pleases them. Because, quite frankly, your investment would have done better in a jumbo CD earning 5% since 1999, and without the stock market risk. What has been the average yearly return on UPS stock, including dividends since 1999? What has been the average yearly return of the S&P 500 during the same time period? I don't know the exact numbers, but i'll venture to guess the S&P has outperformed UPS. And this time period has included the greatest bear market (2000-2002) since the great depression. If you disagree, please enlighten me because I'm an uneducated driver. Thanks in advance!:confused:1

hoser

Industrial Slob
No, not the end of the discussion.

Some of you earn your keep, some don't -- just like anywhere else. Many of you slide through using the union to your advantage -- I don't blame you, I would too. You earn your keep to keep your job -- like everyone else. This is not the point. The point is that you earn a lot for what you do. Whether you are overpaid or not is something for hours, perhaps years, of debate.

Now, Hosebag, end of discussion.
Such grace, such eloquence! You spoke, everyone listened :lol::lol::lol:

audi2006

Audi, please correct me if i'm wrong. To most investors, I think its more about the GROWTH of earnings and not so much dividends that pleases them. Because, quite frankly, your investment would have done better in a jumbo CD earning 5% since 1999, and without the stock market risk. What has been the average yearly return on UPS stock, including dividends since 1999? What has been the average yearly return of the S&P 500 during the same time period? I don't know the exact numbers, but i'll venture to guess the S&P has outperformed UPS. And this time period has included the greatest bear market (2000-2002) since the great depression. If you disagree, please enlighten me because I'm an uneducated driver. Thanks in advance!:confused:1
I dont disagree with you, However that is what ATTRACTS people to buy your stock. After that im pretty sure dividends are a big draw to share holders. Buying UPS stock as an employee provides an instant 10% return since we can buy it at a discount in the ESPP. The argument and point i was making to that guy wasnt that UPS stock is the best investment in the world, it was that despite what he wants to think, him making a customer smile isnt the end goal of the corporation.
Obviously, there are many things that i could have made a higher return on than UPS stock since 1999.

audi2006

Audi, you got me there. "I" would gladly do less for less. "She" says you'll do what you're doing and like it! (Sad thing is in some sadistic way I enjoy it) BM
I appreciate you leting me know that all Fed Ex and DHL deliver are envelopes though... that sould make it easier on our sales force to get you more volume.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I dont disagree with you, However that is what ATTRACTS people to buy your stock. After that im pretty sure dividends are a big draw to share holders. Buying UPS stock as an employee provides an instant 10% return since we can buy it at a discount in the ESPP. The argument and point i was making to that guy wasnt that UPS stock is the best investment in the world, it was that despite what he wants to think, him making a customer smile isnt the end goal of the corporation.
Obviously, there are many things that i could have made a higher return on than UPS stock since 1999.
....while other companies give dollar-for-dollar match on your ESOP, ups will give you 10% off class a....:closedeye

satellitedriver

What attracts people to buy a stock is growth and yield. That instant 10% is only paper profit. You can not sell your discounted stock for 2 years. If I bought 10% discount on Dec 7th 2004, it was trading at $87.20 so I bought it at $78.48. It's yield is 2% per year. Two years later, when I can sell my stock on Dec 7th 2006( todays qoute on Nov 27th 2006 is $78.27) I sell my stock for what I paid for it. No instant 10%. The yield of 2% per year is eaten away by the 3% inflation rate per annum. Leaving me with a net lost of 2% over the mandated holding period. In todays world UPS,stock is not an investment.
Without the customer smiling,you will end up not having a business. Service is not just making numbers.

Thebrowntruth

What attracts people to buy a stock is growth and yield. That instant 10% is only paper profit. You can not sell your discounted stock for 2 years. If I bought 10% discount on Dec 7th 2004, it was trading at $87.20 so I bought it at $78.48. It's yield is 2% per year. Two years later, when I can sell my stock on Dec 7th 2006( todays qoute on Nov 27th 2006 is $78.27) I sell my stock for what I paid for it. No instant 10%. The yield of 2% per year is eaten away by the 3% inflation rate per annum. Leaving me with a net lost of 2% over the mandated holding period. In todays world UPS,stock is not an investment.
Without the customer smiling,you will end up not having a business. Service is not just making numbers.

Satellite,

You are 101% correct. That was about as basic as the facts could be stated. I wish the math didnt add up but IT DOES

T

TruckerYahoo

No skills?

We work with the customers, we get the accounts, we fix their problems. They ship with us because they trust us. WE teach them about the levels of service, we give them a timetable.
I would call that sales, service, and marketing, and management . So those arent skills?

We drive in snow and black ice, windstorms, and hail..............we avoid idiots who shouldnt be on the road, on cell phones, eating, drinking, hallucinating, road ragers, and teenagers. With a great safety record.
I believe that would be a professional driver, and you dont think that is a skill?

We multi task, prioritize, and analyze, Isnt that a skill aka business management?

How much do you make? . If its less than me sorry for you, maybe its because Im more skilled. And if you make more, that would be called a mistake.

You make what you do, because we are the best at making the money flow in for you! Because we provide the service, otherwise you would have a bunch of trucks, and you cant make the money without us. Some really smart person figured that out, and agreed we are worth every cent we get paid.

Stop with the I am Jesus of Transporation crap. You are simply a driver, live with it.

Braveheart

who cares? They do what they do and make their money. I am a PT hubrat (preloader) using this place to finish up my degree. I make 11 bucks an hour now, I could make that damn near anywhere else. I am there for the health bennies and the tuition assistance. Take away those other means of compensation and I wouldn't be anywhere near this place because for the money, its not worth it. I see the BS the drivers put up with and know what they deal with (I was a driver helper too). Maybe it isn't the most "skilled" job in the world, but they earn every penny from what I could see. Trying to save the company's ass all the time. When we went on PAS a good number of the businesses were very upset. Their delivery and pickup times all went to hell. Those unskilled drivers explained the system to these people and while they were still annoyed, they at least understood.

Management (on the whole) at my hub on the preload is a joke. Aside from 2 or 3 supes NO ONE knows what the hell is going on, its up to those unskilled drivers to pick up the pieces everyday. We (preloaders) are no longer a help to them thanks to PAS/EDD (its all numbers, we have no idea what is on our trucks) so its all on them now. Say what you want about the preloaders but B.E. (Before EDD) we actually could help the drivers out somewhat, now its by the PAL (numbers) only.

So I ask again what is the point of picking on drivers for their money? Are they overpaid for the skills needed? Possibly (I don't think so). However I think all that they do in addition to those skills more than justifies what they make. At least they are doing their job which is more than I can say for a lot of people (but definitely not all) in the management ranks. Those drivers you speak of are the reason everyone who is not "in the know" speak and think so highly of UPS. They are respectful, professional and like it or not, the face of this company. I can think of no better group to represent this company than those "overpaid and unskilled" drivers.
Great post. Many thx. Preloaders make or break our days and I tip the ones who do a good job.

Braveheart

I like cookies too :)!

I am only 20, work parttime and have almost completed my 4 year degree as a network administrator however plan on driving just for the $$$$. When they claim I am an uneducated POS I can say I am an officer in the USANG and drive because it's where the d0ll4$ are at. When they claim I do not earn what I make I'll simple state I am not paid enough to have the displeasure of seeing their dumbfounded faces mon-fri. Lastly, when they claim I am easily replaceable, as you state audi, I'll say granted you can easily replace me but if I do nothing wrong and work ethically then you must also replace my brothers, all 86000+ have fun jerkoff...furthermore these idiots can't even fit a :censored2: circle drive into the loop at the correct location using a simple gui much less set up the infrastructure themselves. (so much for this all empowering degree attained by idiots) STFU do your own damn job and let me do mine. When and if layoffs come at the smallparcel division (the bread and butter mindyou), I wonder who will get the chop, the people doing the work or the monkeys screwing everything up because of their pompous, arrogant, self-preserving attitudes...

also you claim we are lucky...bah, first off, one makes his own "luck". I do so by working parttime for less compenation per hour than my current fulltime job just to keep senority and the option to drive 10 years down the road. It takes some real dedication to come in at 4am and deal with ups bs for beans, then go off to another job all the while finishing one's degree. Most drivers realize this and thats why they stick their neck out for this company so much, going that extra mile. We are the reason why this company grew the way it did before going public...sacrificing their family time to meet customer demands...it's not to hit your bull**** money grubbing, publicly traded, stock dividends or help you make a yearly stock bonus, it's to ensure the survival of this company, get back to the basics fools.

ps: eat **** and die audi :)
Hell of a smack down!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Stop with the I am Jesus of Transporation crap. You are simply a driver, live with it.
Yes I am just a lowly truck driver, good enough to work at UPS. But its 10 squared better than being an as**ole.
And as audi said to me with his negative feedback, I am unemployable, and I have to be told how to dress. No I dont have to be told how to dress, but I do wear what Im told to wear. Sorry you think so lowly of the work force you work with or manage, coz you are the one who loses. You newbies on here, pretty much all are a waste of our time. But then we are used to that. Seen it before, Ill still be here unless I retire, and you will be gone. Good riddance and good day!! HA

satellitedriver

It's easier to load the wagon than to pull it. You can know every package, where it came from, and when it has to be there. Load all packages in perfect order for delivery. But then, you realize you forgot to feed the mule and he does not have the strength to pull the load. Simply put,as a driver. I can live with it and thrive. Your post reminds me of the old country song."Don't worry about the mule Ma, just load the wagon".