Just started as a loader...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yes I know it takes a year to kick in. This is why I referred to it as future benefits which help to provide incentive to work hard.

Tuition assistance is indeed available at my location, either through a promotion to supervisor or a transfer to the midnight shift. Either are both obtainable after some seniority is earned.

As far as promotions, I am interested in driving after 2 years of part-time work, or I would like to go down the management route, where I can become a supervisor in 9 months to a year if I keep a good attitude.

I suggest you get your education.

It's highly unlikely you become a full-time driver after 2 years of part-time work. Impossible, no. but "don't count on it". I am not saying this to deter you, but just giving you reality, which the UPS HR or hiring person does not want to give. most people wait at least a few years if not 5-10 years to become a full-time driver. With the economy down and drivers on layoff, this also decreases the odds.

part-time supervisors is a good choice if you are young and plan on doing somethign else with your life (as a result of schooling) rather than staying at UPS for a period of time.

nodeal

I suggest you get your education.

It's highly unlikely you become a full-time driver after 2 years of part-time work. Impossible, no. but "don't count on it". I am not saying this to deter you, but just giving you reality, which the UPS HR or hiring person does not want to give. most people wait at least a few years if not 5-10 years to become a full-time driver. With the economy down and drivers on layoff, this also decreases the odds.

part-time supervisors is a good choice if you are young and plan on doing somethign else with your life (as a result of schooling) rather than staying at UPS for a period of time.

Cool man, thanks for the directness. Driver is checked as a possibility on my list, but supervisor is what I really have my eyes on since it's much more likely to happen and in a shorter period of time. Oh well, I just started, so one day at a time would be the best policy I suppose.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Also, it is not impossible to go from part time supe to full time driver. Seems like there is a lot of "Don't drink the Kool Aid" from a lot of people who have Kool Aid moustaches, doesn't it? Like I said, keep your positive attitude and explore options that become available to you. Don't let the negativity infect you and you'll be alright.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Cool man, thanks for the directness. Driver is checked as a possibility on my list, but supervisor is what I really have my eyes on since it's much more likely to happen and in a shorter period of time. Oh well, I just started, so one day at a time would be the best policy I suppose.

one day at a time. one package at a time. :funny: