Just started

Radfory

Friends, I was just hired on as a package handler, in my second week on the belts and unload. They also hired me to drive through the end of the year. I go to intragrad school this next week. Once I complete, should I graduate, will I be driving full time or only on a needed basis? Also, they have asked me to watch at least 30 modules. Am I able or expected to clock in when I'm watching these modules? Thanks for any feedback

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Friends, I was just hired on as a package handler, in my second week on the belts and unload. They also hired me to drive through the end of the year. I go to intragrad school this next week. Once I complete, should I graduate, will I be driving full time or only on a needed basis? Also, they have asked me to watch at least 30 modules. Am I able or expected to clock in when I'm watching these modules? Thanks for any feedback
You will be bottom seniority driver in your center. You might have some days off. But we are coming into peak.

MattM

Different route every day. Pretty much a cover guy for awhile. Some guys around my way waited 3 years to just be able to drive. And once they did, they did 90% inside hub rat work, and 10% driving. Their 30 days took 6 months. I think for some guys some 2 years later they finally are driving FT, But still cover driver routes.

Expect the worst.

You will definitely be a seasonal driver.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
are you able to work Saturdays and sundays?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Depends on your local situation. We’re getting hammered with Amazon here, so we’re practically hiring full time drivers right off the street.

All training is done on the clock.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

MattM

Depends on your local situation. We’re getting hammered with Amazon here, so we’re practically hiring full time drivers right off the street.

All training is done on the clock.
They're firing or DQing just as fast as they are hiring. I truly do not understand this company. We need all the drivers we can get at this point but they can't keep guys because they give them impossible tasks. Staying on past your 30 seems more lucky than anything else.

On day 29, let's quiz a driver as hes on his route And Dq him since he wasn't word for word.

They treat off the street hires better than transfers.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Interview , then 2.5 days of sheet writing school then on car sup then sup ride by Wednesday thurs fri. Then on my own

Radfory

I had 2 weeks to learn a route that was being moved to another hub. I just got back from intergrad and was selected to learn this route. I had the following:
*2 days observing the route just running packages to the door. And listening to suggestions
* 1 day with a different driver who ran the route different than the first, again just running packages to the door.
* 2 days with a driver supervisor, who ran the route different than the other 2. One of those days observing, the 2nd day driving the route. Actually using the diad and locating packages behind the bulkhead door.
* Day 1 on my own had a driver with me 1/2 day, then the rest on my own, came back with 3 drops and late at night.
* Day 2 on my own, had driver with me 1/2 day, completed route by 630p.
I know I can do this, I just needed a few more days since the area is not familiar. All the drivers were constantly SKIPPING around the DIAD because they knew the route well enough to do so. Watching the route ran is so much different than actually doing it all yourself, but each day I did it on my own, I got better, learned helpful tricks and really recognized streets and areas. I was brought in off the street to be a seasonal driver. However, other seasonal drivers that were brought on the same time as me are staying with local routes out of our building and have 30 days to qualify. I drove the route 3 times and this morning was told not to come in, they are getting someone else because I was not getting done within the time frame planned and like I said, the route is no longer staying at our building. So they had to make sure they were sending a driver to follow the route that can finish it in the allotted time frame. My question is,

Is it likely they give me another opportunity to show I can do this, or will I need to wait a full year, or does my week count as failed to qualify? I really loved driving and have a whole renowned respect for the UPS package car driver. What are your thoughts?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Orion is ruining driver training. They won’t turn it off anymore for new hires. During my packet a couple years ago they allowed me to run RDO, but made the other 3 in their packet at the same time run Orion. I passed, the other 3 didn’t. One of the guys that failed was a really hard working, totally capable dude with a toddler son. He has since quit. I still feel bad, and feel bad for all the new hires who have to learn a route with Orion. It’s ridiculous.
It took me like over a year to learn how to ignore Orion and go shelf to shelf when learning a new route; these guys are expected to scroll through 160 random stops and know exactly how to run it properly and scratch within a couple days of finishing school. Ridiculous, man. An utter disaster

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I had 2 weeks to learn a route that was being moved to another hub. I just got back from intergrad and was selected to learn this route. I had the following:
*2 days observing the route just running packages to the door. And listening to suggestions
* 1 day with a different driver who ran the route different than the first, again just running packages to the door.
* 2 days with a driver supervisor, who ran the route different than the other 2. One of those days observing, the 2nd day driving the route. Actually using the diad and locating packages behind the bulkhead door.
* Day 1 on my own had a driver with me 1/2 day, then the rest on my own, came back with 3 drops and late at night.
* Day 2 on my own, had driver with me 1/2 day, completed route by 630p.
I know I can do this, I just needed a few more days since the area is not familiar. All the drivers were constantly SKIPPING around the DIAD because they knew the route well enough to do so. Watching the route ran is so much different than actually doing it all yourself, but each day I did it on my own, I got better, learned helpful tricks and really recognized streets and areas. I was brought in off the street to be a seasonal driver. However, other seasonal drivers that were brought on the same time as me are staying with local routes out of our building and have 30 days to qualify. I drove the route 3 times and this morning was told not to come in, they are getting someone else because I was not getting done within the time frame planned and like I said, the route is no longer staying at our building. So they had to make sure they were sending a driver to follow the route that can finish it in the allotted time frame. My question is,

Is it likely they give me another opportunity to show I can do this, or will I need to wait a full year, or does my week count as failed to qualify? I really loved driving and have a whole renowned respect for the UPS package car driver. What are your thoughts?

Bad news you’re done at ups

Try fedex they’ll hire anybody

Your chances will be greatly enhanced if you have a neck tattoo and a grizzly adams type beard