Just started

542thruNthru

I had 2 weeks to learn a route that was being moved to another hub. I just got back from intergrad and was selected to learn this route. I had the following:
*2 days observing the route just running packages to the door. And listening to suggestions
* 1 day with a different driver who ran the route different than the first, again just running packages to the door.
* 2 days with a driver supervisor, who ran the route different than the other 2. One of those days observing, the 2nd day driving the route. Actually using the diad and locating packages behind the bulkhead door.
* Day 1 on my own had a driver with me 1/2 day, then the rest on my own, came back with 3 drops and late at night.
* Day 2 on my own, had driver with me 1/2 day, completed route by 630p.
I know I can do this, I just needed a few more days since the area is not familiar. All the drivers were constantly SKIPPING around the DIAD because they knew the route well enough to do so. Watching the route ran is so much different than actually doing it all yourself, but each day I did it on my own, I got better, learned helpful tricks and really recognized streets and areas. I was brought in off the street to be a seasonal driver. However, other seasonal drivers that were brought on the same time as me are staying with local routes out of our building and have 30 days to qualify. I drove the route 3 times and this morning was told not to come in, they are getting someone else because I was not getting done within the time frame planned and like I said, the route is no longer staying at our building. So they had to make sure they were sending a driver to follow the route that can finish it in the allotted time frame. My question is,

Is it likely they give me another opportunity to show I can do this, or will I need to wait a full year, or does my week count as failed to qualify? I really loved driving and have a whole renowned respect for the UPS package car driver. What are your thoughts?

Let me make sure I got this right. You have 8 days with someone on the route with you and you still didn't know the area well enough?

Sorry but it takes 3 days to learn the area.

Good luck

The Milkman

I had 2 weeks to learn a route that was being moved to another hub. I just got back from intergrad and was selected to learn this route. I had the following:
*2 days observing the route just running packages to the door. And listening to suggestions
* 1 day with a different driver who ran the route different than the first, again just running packages to the door.
* 2 days with a driver supervisor, who ran the route different than the other 2. One of those days observing, the 2nd day driving the route. Actually using the diad and locating packages behind the bulkhead door.
* Day 1 on my own had a driver with me 1/2 day, then the rest on my own, came back with 3 drops and late at night.
* Day 2 on my own, had driver with me 1/2 day, completed route by 630p.
I know I can do this, I just needed a few more days since the area is not familiar. All the drivers were constantly SKIPPING around the DIAD because they knew the route well enough to do so. Watching the route ran is so much different than actually doing it all yourself, but each day I did it on my own, I got better, learned helpful tricks and really recognized streets and areas. I was brought in off the street to be a seasonal driver. However, other seasonal drivers that were brought on the same time as me are staying with local routes out of our building and have 30 days to qualify. I drove the route 3 times and this morning was told not to come in, they are getting someone else because I was not getting done within the time frame planned and like I said, the route is no longer staying at our building. So they had to make sure they were sending a driver to follow the route that can finish it in the allotted time frame. My question is,

Is it likely they give me another opportunity to show I can do this, or will I need to wait a full year, or does my week count as failed to qualify? I really loved driving and have a whole renowned respect for the UPS package car driver. What are your thoughts?

I sort of went through what you did back in the day. However I was hired off the street. had different routes most times, given maps that were mostly hand made for rural deliveries and had a sup ride maybe 2 days with me. had to tough it out, no diad, no pagers, just the dumb green sheets that judged your day. Things are way different today so just work as directed. Myself and another driver covered just about all the routes in our center, and took me about 8 years to get my own bid route. You have your foot in the door, so just go with the punches. Don't complain or compare yourself with others who may do routes differently than you would. In due time you yourself will have area knowledge in your tank. We all have been there and always CYA! Good luck

I sort of went through what you did back in the day. However I was hired off the street. had different routes most times, given maps that were mostly hand made for rural deliveries and had a sup ride maybe 2 days with me. had to tough it out, no diad, no pagers, just the dumb green sheets that judged your day. Things are way different today so just work as directed. Myself and another driver covered just about all the routes in our center, and took me about 8 years to get my own bid route. You have your foot in the door, so just go with the punches. Don't complain or compare yourself with others who may do routes differently than you would. In due time you yourself will have area knowledge in your tank. We all have been there and always CYA! Good luck
And remind him how good retirement is...
Give him something to look forward to

The Milkman

One more thing.……...Stick it out...…...deal with the daily BS...…..suck it up...…….and someday you like myself can hang it up with a decent pension with for some medical benefits which are slowly going away. I was lucky to hang it up at 55 with a bit over 25 years in brown. Jan 1st will be my 12th year of paid vacation. Leave as soon as you possibly can, don't limp out like many do, scared of life outside of Brown. Don't give up, just work as directed, tell them you always give your best and leave yourself a little wiggle room when doing routes because they will want to hold you to your numbers whether you are 30 or 60.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Different route every day. Pretty much a cover guy for awhile. Some guys around my way waited 3 years to just be able to drive. And once they did, they did 90% inside hub rat work, and 10% driving. Their 30 days took 6 months. I think for some guys some 2 years later they finally are driving FT, But still cover driver routes.

Expect the worst.
No way they dump a newbie on different routes. He will be on a split somewhere doing the same thing through peak.

Radfory

Let me make sure I got this right. You have 8 days with someone on the route with you and you still didn't know the area well enough?

Sorry but it takes 3 days to learn the area.

Good luck
I totally understand. And if given the opportunity again, I will make sure I kick the routes ass. Running it by myself taught me alot and what to look for. The system was starting to work for me. Kept getting better each day, I just know, if I had the 30 day qualify period, I would have made it. A tad disappointing after tasting that cash$$$