Just the numbers please

Overpaid Union Thug

. My estimate (based off of nothing but an educated guess) is that we'll see starting pay bumped up somewhere between $10-$12/hour; that will make the job of organizing in RTW states a bit easier and, simply put, its the right thing to do.

This and healthcare is where it hangs for me.

Give part timers a big enough boost and ill accept my small pay cut.

Same here.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What if you worked at UPS 2 years and make 10 dollars an hour? The guy working 2 days gets the same?

This is how I see it working out -- for the record, this is an educated guess.

If you've been at UPS for 2 years, you're still in the PT progression which caps out at $12.87/hr (might be $12.99 with COLA, I'm not positive) after four years.

If you're making $10/hr at two years (really should be in the ~$11/hr range with skill pay), you'll probably see an immediate bump in the $1-1.50 range as you get "slotted forward" in your progression. I cannot envision our negotiating team bumping new hires past or even up to the level of PT'ers that have already put in a few years. The floor for PT'ers is being raised and everyone still in the four year progression will be raised with it, as well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok I really should start a new thread but oh well I'll ask here.

Lets just assume this passes. We obviously don't have all the details. Lets say we all go into one big union pool for healthcare. Here's the question.

Should part timers get benefits after 30 days? Since the union will now be providing the benefits I see no reason why they should have to wait 12-18 months.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Lets just assume this passes. We obviously don't have all the details. Lets say we all go into one big union pool for healthcare. Here's the question.

Should part timers get benefits after 30 days? Since the union will now be providing the benefits I see no reason why they should have to wait 12-18 months.

I hadn't thought of that until you brought it up.. I certainly hope the year-long waiting period (18 months for spouse/family) issue was addressed.

Brownslave688

I hadn't thought of that until you brought it up.. I certainly hope the year-long waiting period (18 months for spouse/family) issue was addressed.

A co worker brought it up to me. It'll be interesting.

Dutch Dawg

"Just The Numbers Please" What numbers? I have yet to be anywhere able to put non speculative meat on that bone tossed to us with announcement of tenative agreement in principle. Which causes me to wonder if both sides desire to have the information released in a controlled flow environment; which in turn causes an old cynic like me to ponder rhetorically why?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
"Just The Numbers Please" What numbers? I have yet to be anywhere able to put non speculative meat on that bone tossed to us with announcement of tenative agreement in principle. Which causes me to wonder if both sides desire to have the information released in a controlled flow environment; which in turn causes an old cynic like me to ponder rhetorically why?

The pay raises have been confirmed through multiple sources, although not through an official IBT press release. This is the official information from the IBT:

2,000 new full time jobs will be added from the PT ranks (sounds like 22.3 jobs, but not certain)
Significant pay raises and increased starting pay for new hires
140,000 Teamsters (likely PT'ers) will be rolled into union managed health care plans
No insurance premiums will be charged for active members

Inthegame

The "union" will not be providing benefits. The new modified CS H&W Plan will. Benefits will commence once contributions commence. The employer won't be contributing to the CS H&W plan until 12 months after seniority. Family coverage will start at 12 months but of course TDU will rip this as a concession in their warped logic.

Drink Craft Beer

The pay raises have been confirmed through multiple sources, although not through an official IBT press release. This is the official information from the IBT:

2,000 new full time jobs will be added from the PT ranks (sounds like 22.3 jobs, but not certain)
Significant pay raises and increased starting pay for new hires
140,000 Teamsters (likely PT'ers) will be rolled into union managed health care plans
No insurance premiums will be charged for active members

If it's not specified in the contract that the teamsters cannot change anything to health benefits for the life of the contract (charge you monthy etc..) then I'm not voting for it. How does it benefit the teamsters to takeover "just PT'ers" insurance and not every teamster?

There's gotta be a good reason for doing so.

teamsterdan

Subject: UPS Contract Update
Date: April 26, 2013 4:35:07 PM CDT
To:
Reply-To: [email protected]

For Immediate Release Contact:
April 25, 2013 Leigh Strope, (202) 624-6911
[email protected]
TEAMSTERS REACH TENTATIVE AGREEMENTS COVERING 250,000 WORKERS AT UPS, UPS FREIGHT
Proposed Five-Year Contracts Protect Strong Health Care Benefits While Significantly Increasing Funding For Pensions, Health And Welfare Funds
(WASHINGTON) - The Teamsters Union announced today that it has reached tentative agreements with UPS [NYSE: UPS] on new five-year national contracts for package and freight workers that protect their health care benefits, provide substantial wage increases and significantly raise contributions to pension and health and welfare benefits.
The tentative agreement covering UPS package employees moves 140,000 workers into Teamster-controlled health plans from company plans to maintain current strong benefits for all UPS Teamsters while growing the funds for Teamsters in all industries into the future.
"These are solid tentative agreements that all Teamsters at UPS and UPS Freight can be proud of," said General Secretary-Treasurer hall, Co-Chairman of the Teamsters National Negotiating Committees and Package Division Director. "I am pleased to announce that we have achieved our members' priorities of preserving their excellent health care benefits and protecting them into the future while also strengthening their pensions and providing pay raises."
The tentative agreements were reached well in advance of the July 31, 2013 expiration dates for the current, five-year contracts, which cover nearly 250,000 workers at UPS and UPS Freight. The UPS contract is the largest collective bargaining agreement in North America.
"This is a great day for the Teamsters Union," said General President Jim Hoffa, Co-Chairman of the Teamsters National Negotiating Committees. "At a time when workers and their pay, benefits and working conditions are under attack by corporate America, we have succeeded in improving the lives of our hardworking and dedicated UPS and UPS Freight Teamsters for years to come. These tentative agreements are shining examples to the entire country of a hugely successful unionized company that thrives because of its workers."

In the UPS tentative agreement, workers will get substantial pay raises, including a significant increase in the starting wage rate for part-time employees. The union also won the creation of more than 2,000 full-time jobs from the ranks of part-time workers.
For UPS Freight, the tentative agreement resolves subcontracting issues by putting all laid-off road drivers back to work. UPS Freight workers will receive substantial wage increases and lower co-pays for health insurance. The agreement provides the ability for more part-time workers to become full time.
More details about the tentative agreements will be available to Teamster members at www.Teamster.org/UPS in the coming days. Representatives from UPS and UPS Freight Teamster Local Unions will meet soon to review the tentative agreements. Following that meeting, members will vote by mail on the tentative agreements, with results expected in mid- June. Upon ratification, the agreements will take effect on Aug. 1.
Founded in 1903, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents more than 1.4 million hardworking men and women in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Visit www.teamster.org for more information. Follow us on Twitter @Teamsters and "like" us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/teamsters.

Preliminary details of the UPS Tentative Agreement:
5 year contract
Full time employees:
$0.70/hour years 1-3
$0.80/hour year 4
$1.00/hour year 5
$1/hour additional per year for H,W&P

Part time employees: same wage increases as above; $1.00/hour increase to the part time start rate

No health insurance premium co-payments for the life of the agreement.

Way more to come. Check your Union bulletin board for upcoming contract offer meeting dates.

Click here for the IBT Package Division Website
Click Here for TeamsterNation Blog

Forward email

Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
Teamsters Local 344 | 10020 W Greenfield Ave. | Milwaukee | WI | 53214

Last edited:

Brownslave688

$1 an hour is nothing for part timers. Most in my center already start at $9.50. They give them the skilled pay after 30 days because its the only way to keep people around.

They will just quit doing that and essentially pay the same.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Please don't take my Northern New England Benefit Trust health care plan away to bailout the crummy central states. We have a huge account balance and excellent benefits. I don't want to lose my massage benefits.

balland chain

Please don't take my Northern New England Benefit Trust health care plan away to bailout the crummy central states. We have a huge account balance and excellent benefits. I don't want to lose my massage benefits.
You get a massage benefit ?? Wow, that is unbelievable,,, Save your cash if you are stuck with CS.. also VOTE NO !!!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does the top management raises keep up with inflation???????

I can speak for non-top management and the answer is a resounding NO!

Why do you think 250,000 union people that just come to work and does their job should be equal to the top 100 or so people that move and steer UPS?

Brownslave688

Does the top management raises keep up with inflation???????

Why do you think 250,000 union people that just come to work and does their job should be equal to the top 100 or so people that move and steer UPS?

Anytime a company can make billions in profit and will raise prices every year like clock work I think everyone (including management) deserve a raise to keep up with inflation.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
You get a massage benefit ?? Wow, that is unbelievable,,, Save your cash if you are stuck with CS.. also VOTE NO !!!!
I have had Health and Welfare benefits through Milwaukee Drivers since I went fulltime 26 years ago. Very happy with the insurance coverage of this union run plan. Get 24 massages covered per year and enjoy every one of them for these old and sore muscles!

Delivered

$1 an hour is nothing for part timers. Most in my center already start at $9.50. They give them the skilled pay after 30 days because its the only way to keep people around.

They will just quit doing that and essentially pay the same.

Just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking "skilled positions" are probably gone with this new contract which will save the Company $$

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have had Health and Welfare benefits through Milwaukee Drivers since I went fulltime 26 years ago. Very happy with the insurance coverage of this union run plan. Get 24 massages covered per year and enjoy every one of them for these old and sore muscles!
Im moving. My son and grand kids live near Milwaukee, so its a win win, hook me up with the massage people, Im hurting here.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Because from 101 down non-union guys get to pick up the crumbs, taking what their masters give them.

brostalss

Still a whole lot better than what most companies are giving out. Some no raises at all. Be thankful you're even getting a raise.