Just the numbers please

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No collective negotiations.

I call that the job market. People with education are a dime a dozen now. That will shift to companies fighting over the same pool of people when said companies finally loosen the grip on all the cash reserves they have, investing in projects/expansions as the economy runs full steam ahead. I sincerely hope middle management tells upper management to kiss it as other companies poach our good people. Maybe then they'll start taking care of the future leadership of our company.

T

TheBrownGuy

Still a whole lot better than what most companies are giving out. Some no raises at all. Be thankful you're even getting a raise.

Not at all true.
-The national average wage increase for 2013 is 2.9% to 3% and the average wage increase has increased each year from 2010 to 2013.
The average median pay raise was 2.7 percent to 2.8 percent in 2012
Sources:
NBC News business...
Three percent raises are the new normal, says Ravin Jesuthasan, a compensation expert and managing director with management consultant Towers Watson
Wall Street Journal
On average, firms expect to raise base pay by 2.9% in 2013, compared with 2.7% in both 2012 and 2011, and 2.3% in 2010, according to results of a compensation-planning survey from Mercer, a New York-based human resources consultancy
�3 percent pay raise the ‘new normal’ for 2013 - Business on NBCNews.com
You won’t get much of a pay raise in 2013 - Ruth Mantell's On the Job - MarketWatch

ABC News
“Historically many employees saw annual salary budget increases greater than 3 percent, with a drastic dip or freeze during the “great recession,” and now we have settled into what may be a new normal of 3 percent,” said Jeff Blair, Hay Group’s U.S. Productized Services Leader.
3 Percent Salary Increase ‘New Normal’ - ABC News

Can UPS afford to give us the national average wage increase of 3% per year?
On $32.29 that would be raises of $.97, $1.00, $103, $1.06, $1.09
Total=$5.14 in raises or $37.43 at the end of 5 years

As compared to say an offer of $.70,$.70,$70,$.80,$1.00
Total=$3.90 in raises or $36.19 at the end of 5 years
A driver averaging 10 hours of overtime per week would make $ 13,788 less over 5 years with these raises than with the national average wage increase of 3% per year.

T

TheBrownGuy

Still a whole lot better than what most companies are giving out. Some no raises at all. Be thankful you're even getting a raise.
Not at all true.
-The national average wage increase for 2013 is 2.9% to 3% and the average wage increase has increased each year from 2010 to 2013.
Sources:
NBC News business...
Three percent raises are the new normal, says Ravin Jesuthasan, a compensation expert and managing director with management consultant Towers Watson
Wall Street Journal
On average, firms expect to raise base pay by 2.9% in 2013, compared with 2.7% in both 2012 and 2011, and 2.3% in 2010, according to results of a compensation-planning survey from Mercer, a New York-based human resources consultancy
�3 percent pay raise the ‘new normal’ for 2013 - Business on NBCNews.com
You won’t get much of a pay raise in 2013 - Ruth Mantell's On the Job - MarketWatch

ABC News
“Historically many employees saw annual salary budget increases greater than 3 percent, with a drastic dip or freeze during the “great recession,” and now we have settled into what may be a new normal of 3 percent,” said Jeff Blair, Hay Group’s U.S. Productized Services Leader.
3 Percent Salary Increase ‘New Normal’ - ABC News

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Not at all true.

a) The median pay in the USA is $26K; $46K for FT workers over 25. 3% of 26K and 46K is a lot less sexy than what you've been receiving ;).
b) Your figures fail to mention that the average co-deductible for family insurance has climbed to over $4300 per year, and out-of-pocket costs have climbed even higher.

T

TheBrownGuy

a) The median pay in the USA is $26K; $46K for FT workers over 25. 3% of 26K and 46K is a lot less sexy than what you've been receiving ;).
b) Your figures fail to mention that the average co-deductible for family insurance has climbed to over $4300 per year, and out-of-pocket costs have climbed even higher.
True, we do make substantially more than the median full time worker ($46k)...$67K excluding overtime. However, I think we can all agree that the job of a UPS driver is also substantially more demanding than the average job. And having put in my time as a part timer, they certainly have one of the most demanding part time jobs in the USA.
Some things to ponder:
-OSHA receives more complaints from workers at UPS than from any other company
-UPS has an occupational injury rate 3 times that of the transportation industry
-UPS drivers rank in the top 9% of most stressed adults in the nation
-According to the National Academy of Science: The national injury rate is 8 injuries per 100 employees, or 8:100
UPS’s injury rate is 15:100 employees

I am not going to maintain that we have the most stressful job in the nation, however the combination of harassment, hard physical labor, time pressure on the job as well as excessive forced overtime certainly merits our pay. UPS certainly is in a position to continue paying average raises. I am not certain how I will vote on this contract until I see more specific details. I started this thread so that we would at least have an idea of what we are voting for vs. what others are receiving. So far what I see is a less than average pay in increase (to the tune of $13,000 for me, even more for the 12 hr a day guys) and potentially much worse health insurance.