Keyless System

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A little off topic. Monday night they told us to toss all our FOBs into a box in the office before we clocked out. I had skipped the PCM because of the heavy dispatch to hit the road fifteen minutes early. Why would we pull all of the FOBs out of the package cars for a one day holiday?

A little off topic. Monday night they told us to toss all our FOBs into a box in the office before we clocked out. I had skipped the PCM because of the heavy dispatch to hit the road fifteen minutes early. Why would we pull all of the FOBs out of the package cars for a one day holiday?

To prevent the collect intelligence of the package cars from becoming self aware and starting the Judgment Day war.

At least I think that's how the movie went?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I also found out from my mechanic that he and the so-called carwash in my building carry master FOBs that will start all the package cars, I thought that was interesting.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I also found out from my mechanic that he and the so-called carwash in my building carry master FOBs that will start all the package cars, I thought that was interesting.

Never a good idea. Master key getting duplicated is how thousands of dollars of people's stuff got stolen at my last apt I lived in.

slantnosechevy

They had to get masters because too many drivers were forgeting to leave the fobs at night before they clock out. We've got 77 drivers and spotters told me 4-5 a night are missing and it's different drivers all the time.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
What are you smoking?

The keyless entry on NEW package cars seems to work ok, until the system fails and the entire center cannot start the cars on road. Secondly, the "retrofitted" cars only have the ignition keyless, and the bulkhead and rear door are still keys, this WASTES TIME and does nothing to cut time for the driver.

Cars that UPS spent thousands of dollars on placing a "secondary" locking mechanism on both the bulkhead and rear doors cannot be retrofitted for the new keyless system, so that means, the driver has to keep the keys in his pocket and reach in everytime he/she needs to open the doors. They cant keep the keys on the finger like the old days, because there is no reason to have them there once the door is opened.

This repetitive motion consumes time with extra motions.

The keyless system has been plagued with failures.. Door cylinder failures, remote failures, batteries dying and the like.

It wouldnt surprise me to see this system scrapped.

Peace

TOS

Not even a little correct...at least in my location. I'm a car parker on my shift and each and every retro fitted vehicle excluding p700's, p57's, p500, or any other vehicle with barn doors has the rear door lock on the fob. Maybe your center went cheap with it.

sortaisle

It's actually genius. But there's horrible people out there. 75% of our package cars can start with the same key. The only ones that don't work with the one key to rule them all are the double bladed keys and the gm/workhorse keys.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I have had keyless for about 6 months on a P-7. Nary an issue. We have no cars that came with it installed.....all retrofit. No one has complained about issue within the center.

UPSGUY72

So you would have one FOB that was programmed with all the codes or all the cars in your center. So when you hit the button any car within operational distance could be started ??????

Have you seen a mechanic program a FOB if so you would know that a FOB can only carry one code...

packageguy

My center manager told me that the keyless system has/is being abandoned and will be removed from the fleet. Has anyone else head this?

Okay then, somebody is taking 10 stops off my truck, I was told when I got my new truck, It came with 10 more stops because this automatic door and starter would save so much time.......

UPSGUY72

I could the telematics portion or the system being scrapped as it only cost the company money to keep on replacing the sensors and the GPS portion is redundant since the DIAD IV and V has GPS technology built in. But the keyless system itself is a time saver / money maker.

sortaisle

I do drive as well. Been driving for 5 years as a Saturday driver and utility driver. I've had plenty of 60 hour weeks delivering and car shifting...so yeah, I know how they work. Love the fact that you think you have me pegged off of one quote. And I suppose everywhere is like West Los Angeles too right? I grew up in South Gate so I know how rough it is. In other areas we don't need the security locks. Plenty of other areas the FOB's work just fine. Don't get me wrong, it's a genius system, but it does have it's flaws. Especially when the batteries die. Do you have to use the FOB system? If it fails there's a lock box where the keys are in my area.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
There great on automatics , but dangerous on a old p800 stick. They can and will start with truck in gear even though you aern't pushing in the clutch. Also, if you stall out, it's harder to get started which could b a dangerous situation depending.

Keep em in the automatics though. I like em .But yank em outa the old p800's like yesterday!!!

sortaisle

That's still a matter of training. I don't even hit my fob till I start to sit down. Plus I don't hit the start switch until my foot is already on the brake. I'm surprised there are still 800's in the fleet. We've crushed all of ours. We have 2 old p1000. The rest are 113-114, 135-6-7-8, and 151. Our 1200's are 130-1-2 and 145's. I like that the new ones are automatics, but as soon as we get them, we wind up sending them to the little centers around our area. We have a pretty large shop so we get to fix everything...

bumped

So you would have one FOB that was programmed with all the codes or all the cars in your center. So when you hit the button any car within operational distance could be started ??????

Have you seen a mechanic program a FOB if so you would know that a FOB can only carry one code...

Our mechanics and the people that park and gas the cars all have a FOB that start any of the package cars.