Keyless System

upsmanclt

My center manager told me that the keyless system has/is being abandoned and will be removed from the fleet. Has anyone else head this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I have no heard this and I highly doubt that they would have spent this much on the technology and implementation only to abandon it less than 5 years in. Keyless entry/remote start is a proven timesaver.

jaker

trolling
Yeah I love mine but my truck came with it , now the trucks they add it onto those suck

But who know they might be kicking it around about getting rid of it just because of the issues some have , but let's hope they only do that on the trucks they add it to

No, I have no heard this and I highly doubt that they would have spent this much on the technology and implementation only to abandon it less than 5 years in. Keyless entry/remote start is a proven timesaver.

Absolutely, tax write off and perhaps as an undisclosed court settlement.

Brokedownandbrown

UPS in a lawsuit about the system and malfunction while in operation. System is not compatible with UPS methods. Someone will get their ear full for not having longer trial test.

S

serenity now

LOL, I can't believe that you asked that.......we will probably get even more stops to pay for the old key system.

any time taken away, for any reason, is analogous to a mechanical ratchet
when you hear that next click, there ain't no backing up

upsmanclt

I drive a retrofitted P57 and when the keyless system works its great, but when it doesn't, well it's a pain. The signal on the remote is fickle and I can sit for several minutes trying to get it to activate. The battery in the fob(s) are not maintained and I have found myself with out a way to start the car or open the bulkhead door. Some of this is a failure to set a standard for maintenance and a failure to report problems to the mechanic. I have experienced a loss of engine power while driving with no way to restart. I worked the Saturday before Christmas and drove another retrofitted P57 that is used on a BL run and neither fob worked and had to use a key that was in the ignition. The time saving mantra in favor of the keyless system is lost on me.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

What are you smoking?

The keyless entry on NEW package cars seems to work ok, until the system fails and the entire center cannot start the cars on road. Secondly, the "retrofitted" cars only have the ignition keyless, and the bulkhead and rear door are still keys, this WASTES TIME and does nothing to cut time for the driver.

Cars that UPS spent thousands of dollars on placing a "secondary" locking mechanism on both the bulkhead and rear doors cannot be retrofitted for the new keyless system, so that means, the driver has to keep the keys in his pocket and reach in everytime he/she needs to open the doors. They cant keep the keys on the finger like the old days, because there is no reason to have them there once the door is opened.

This repetitive motion consumes time with extra motions.

The keyless system has been plagued with failures.. Door cylinder failures, remote failures, batteries dying and the like.

It wouldnt surprise me to see this system scrapped.

Peace

TOS

trickpony1

Really?

Look at the money the company has pissed away on the feeder tractors:
-first we had the IVIS that looked like a small computer that you slipped into it's cradle when you got in the truck,
-then we had the "smart card" that you slipped into the existing computer in the truck,
-now we have the GPS IVIS because management is scared to death we are doing the same thing they are doing (lie, cheat, steal). The good news is the new IVIS is a "touch screen", which is much quicker (seconds count, you know).

Add the cost of equipment, installation and training and it probably sums up to a rather large number.

bluehdmc

I was told they got rid of the "smart" card because they couldn't get them anymore. I call bs on that, supposedly in Europe they use a smart card for ATM's. It can't really be cloned like a magnetic strip. I'd say the real reason was the age the IVIS, in computer terms it was an antique.

The new IVIS has a lot more features, (not that I'm saying they are good features). They can send messages, it's getting so we get a daily "safety message" or two. If your out or on paper for a couple of days they stack up. They're getting rather annoying. I guess they are accomplishing their goal with that.

They can also track you with the GPS, so they can see if you stop for coffee or too many bathroom breaks. I was told by a sup they had to do 3 "virtual" OJS's a week. They don't even have to leave the building to spy on you. Soon the feeder clerks will be eliminated, no more phone calls. Let's see how well that works. It did sound good when it was proposed around the conference table though.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've been using the regular keys allot lately. We are having a problem with certain drivers not writing up the fobs when the battery dies. That wouldn't be so bad if there were actually functioning spares in the safes. Half the time there isn't. Some drivers get the spares but don't report the fob that died.