Keyless System

Big Babooba

So you would have one FOB that was programmed with all the codes or all the cars in your center. So when you hit the button any car within operational distance could be started ??????

Have you seen a mechanic program a FOB if so you would know that a FOB can only carry one code...
There are 120 plus routes on any given day in my building and nobody has a "master FOB"

Our carwashers have a master fob too.

Big Babooba

I could the telematics portion or the system being scrapped as it only cost the company money to keep on replacing the sensors and the GPS portion is redundant since the DIAD IV and V has GPS technology built in. But the keyless system itself is a time saver / money maker.

The GPS in the truck is not redundent. They want to know how far away from the truck you are!

OptimusPrime

Your a car parker, and your an expert on the use of FOB's on route? Please.

Secondly, do you park in the WLA district? We have HIGH SECURITY locks on our cars, unlike bumfluknoplace where those kinds of locks are not installed. You CANT connect the FOB system to HIGH SECURITY BULKHEAD or REAR doors.

We have P12's, P11's and P10's and the smaller trucks make up less than 5% of the fleet.

Stick to parking trucks and leave the FOB system analysis to the drivers who actually use them to run the business.

peace

TOS

What makes it a high security lock? All our bulkheads and rear doors have locks made by Best.

UPSGUY72

The GPS in the truck is not redundent. They want to know how far away from the truck you are!

That only works if you take the DIAD with you. Either way every time the system sends information back to the center or where ever it's costing them money. Satellite usage isn't free. The last time I checked UPS doesn't own one so it's paying to use them. The GPS system might be free but any information being sent through the satellite is costing money.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The first time I spent 20 minutes on hold waiting for the mechanic to get done taking a crap so that he could give me the code to the lockbox when my fob died, I lost all the time the system supposedly had saved me.

The bulkhead door opener is a nice feature, but the keyless ignition is a safety liability and needs to be yanked, at least on retrofitted cars. I now keep the backup ingnition key on the ring with the fob, and use it whenever I am towing a trailer.

Big Babooba

That only works if you take the DIAD with you. Either way every time the system sends information back to the center or where ever it's costing them money. Satellite usage isn't free. The last time I checked UPS doesn't own one so it's paying to use them. The GPS system might be free but any information being sent through the satellite is costing money.
If you're following "The Methods" the DIAD is supposed to be with you and you are supposed to hit the Stop Complete button at the delivery point or pickup point. During a virtual time study this is how they determine your walk distance and subsequently your time allowances.

DS

Fenderbender
If you're following "The Methods" the DIAD is supposed to be with you and you are supposed to hit the Stop Complete button at the delivery point or pickup point. During a virtual time study this is how they determine your walk distance and subsequently your time allowances.

Ok Babs then instead of hitting stop complete at the delivery point,why not wait till you're back to the truck and stop complete there? This would give you 30 seconds each stop.Correct me if I'm wrong.

UPSGUY72

I don't worry about time allowances I just get the packages delivered and stop completed as safely and fast as I can. So I could careless where I stop complete the stop as long as I'm at the right location.

If I was worried about time allowances I wouldn't be pulling the car over and spending 5 minutes sorting the next 20, 30 or 40 stops. I would just waste time hunting and pecking a each stop for packages like every driver that I have to bail out does.

bumped

There are 120 plus routes on any given day in my building and nobody has a "master FOB"

UPS is a different company in every building you go to. Some I guess have master FOB's, some don't. In other threads I'm reading about 9.5's. Today most of the routes were pay actuals(unless you wanted the 8 hours) Many just did deliveries, and many just did pickups.

bumped

The first time I spent 20 minutes on hold waiting for the mechanic to get done taking a crap so that he could give me the code to the lockbox when my fob died, I lost all the time the system supposedly had saved me.

The bulkhead door opener is a nice feature, but the keyless ignition is a safety liability and needs to be yanked, at least on retrofitted cars. I now keep the backup ingnition key on the ring with the fob, and use it whenever I am towing a trailer.

We have backup FOB's that are easily gotten in a lock box. We all know or are suppose to know our codes. We also have the ignition key and bulkhead door key on a seperate key ring on the FOB climbing gear type of clip. I take off the ignition and bulkhead door key ring and put it in my pocket and attach the FOB to my belt.

Like I said earlier, every building with this same company is different.

Big Babooba

Ok Babs then instead of hitting stop complete at the delivery point,why not wait till you're back to the truck and stop complete there? This would give you 30 seconds each stop.Correct me if I'm wrong.
When doing a time study, they give you get credit for the distance from the truck that you walk. If you complete the stop in the truck cab, it shows that you didn't leave the truck and you don't get any time allowance for the distance you walked. If it took you 1 minute to walk to the house, guess what? You lost the walk time credit for that stop.

Big Babooba

I don't worry about time allowances I just get the packages delivered and stop completed as safely and fast as I can. So I could careless where I stop complete the stop as long as I'm at the right location.

If I was worried about time allowances I wouldn't be pulling the car over and spending 5 minutes sorting the next 20, 30 or 40 stops. I would just waste time hunting and pecking a each stop for packages like every driver that I have to bail out does.

When they do a time study on your route, you better care.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I might care about the time allowance if it were transparent, reasonable, and if some mechanism existed for correcting it when it was demonstrably wrong.

It is none of those things. It is arbitrary, it is unrealistic, and chiseled in stone. Under no circumstances will the company ever correct a flawed timestudy unless of course the study favors the driver. Yes there are myths and legends of "variances" being granted, but that is all they are...myths and legends.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We have backup FOB's that are easily gotten in a lock box. We all know or are suppose to know our codes. We also have the ignition key and bulkhead door key on a seperate key ring on the FOB climbing gear type of clip. I take off the ignition and bulkhead door key ring and put it in my pocket and attach the FOB to my belt.

Like I said earlier, every building with this same company is different.

WRONG.. the lock box codes are CHANGED everytime they are opened. The company does NOT provide these codes on a daily basis, and rather, we have to call the shop to get the codes.

This is a giant waste of time when there are NO mechanics in the shop.

There are times when the car parkers take the FOBs and dont replace them into the cars where they belong. IN the AM, its a disaster trying to get teh shop to swap out keys and FOBs in a timely manner.

THe system is an unrefined joke and typical for UPS.

Peace

TOS

bluehdmc

On a safety ride about 3 yrs ago, I was talking to the sup about the new IVIS. He said UPS owned a couple of satellites.