Keyless System

upsmanclt

WRONG.. the lock box codes are CHANGED everytime they are opened. The company does NOT provide these codes on a daily basis, and rather, we have to call the shop to get the codes.

All the lock boxes in my building have the same code. ****

Last edited by a moderator:

upsgrunt

Ours are the last four digits of the package car number.
If a poster lives in such a safe and nonviolent community, why would the codes need to be changed on every entry into the box?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ours are the same number we put on our COD envelopes.

Are you talking about the SLIC?

TOS is right---the lock box codes are changed everytime the box is opened and are not provided to the drivers on a daily basis. I have only had to access the lock box once when the starter was not working properly.

To the member who said that his center has the ignition and door lock keys on a separate key ring---wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the keyless entry system and lock box?

S

serenity now

our keys have never been removed from the trucks;on the same ring with the fob * they don't care if you use the keys or the fob or any combination * just get the damn cardboard out of the building

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My lock box was open one morning because I left the fob in my locker. I couldn't close the box without the combo. Now the box stays open held in place by the rubber cover.

barnyard

KTM rider
When doing a time study, they give you get credit for the distance from the truck that you walk. If you complete the stop in the truck cab, it shows that you didn't leave the truck and you don't get any time allowance for the distance you walked. If it took you 1 minute to walk to the house, guess what? You lost the walk time credit for that stop.

Turns out, it is actually recorded on where you scan the package. I just had a follow up and the GPS track did not show the 3 stops that I sheeted and completed in the apartment building, it did show the stop that I scanned while walking from 1 building to another. There was a triangle where I parked and then the stop # where I sheeted the package. It was also interesting to see that each stop had a + or - time for each stop. The amount of time saved parking and walking off a couple of houses is substantial.

YesYouDidPushAButton

Turns out, it is actually recorded on where you scan the package. I just had a follow up and the GPS track did not show the 3 stops that I sheeted and completed in the apartment building, it did show the stop that I scanned while walking from 1 building to another. There was a triangle where I parked and then the stop # where I sheeted the package. It was also interesting to see that each stop had a + or - time for each stop. The amount of time saved parking and walking off a couple of houses is substantial.

Yep...

Heres one that was posted online for some reason a while back http://tdu.org/files/telematicsreview.pdf

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Seriously...if people in one location says they do it this way...and people in another location say they do it a different way...no one is wrong! I know for a fact at my location the code never changes because the same drivers always takes off with the fob attached to their belt loops and I have to get the back up fob out of the box. Obviously in LA and NY it's different with more security. But trust me fellas, it's not that way everywhere.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Seriously...if people in one location says they do it this way...and people in another location say they do it a different way...no one is wrong! I know for a fact at my location the code never changes because the same drivers always takes off with the fob attached to their belt loops and I have to get the back up fob out of the box. Obviously in LA and NY it's different with more security. But trust me fellas, it's not that way everywhere.

You are correct sir! In fact........... in our center, there are only two numbers used for the lock box. The mechanic told me that he used the last two digits of the package car number on each lock box. I have had to open mine several times and it has never changed. I got tickled the other day. We have a preloader that was driving for Christmas for a few weeks. The old P800 he was driving had never been fitted with the keyless system and he was asking me where to carry his bulkhead and ignition key. When I told him to carry it on his finger, all I got was a blank stare.

oldngray

nowhere special
I retired last year but hated the keyless system. It failed about once a month and the key in lockbox was a big secret. I had to call in and talk to mechanic to get the code, and after I used it then the code would be changed. Totally stupid .

JackStraw

My first experience with this the rear door wouldn't open. Had to call,get code,and still couldn't open the door. Every time I'd hit the button the BHD would open though. Wound up having to go through the cargo area and open from inside. Also the bhd opens randomly while driving. Don't get it.Typical UPS stepping over a dollar to save a penny.

oldngray

nowhere special
I forgot to add, when keyless was first introduced, each driver was supposed to have a supervisor on car the first day ( nope, you go to package car, see no key and ask other drivers what to do ), then when it fails, no bulkhead door key in lockbox (later changed). Typical of people introducing new things by people who are out of touch with the real world.

kumet

we use to record deliveries on something called paper and use what is called a pen with ink AND every stop needed a signature.you kids today

kumet

training was, drive around building 3 times. if you could do that a sup. would go with you 3 days and you were on your own. good times.within a month i was expected to beat the route by a hour and maintain 18.3 stops and hour. I was also paid an incentive.

oldngray

nowhere special
My training was also 3 days with a supervisor, next day, a light ( 7.5) dispatch, then on 5th day a full dispatch. I had 5 days in a row scratch by by 14th day. And that was from before bonus system (a bad idea because they really played games with allowances and creating friction between other drivers in same loop - as I always had to make late pickups for the route next to me so he could get off early every day).