Killing a route as a cover driver

Pooter

I guess you can't do the job and have to resort to cheating to get it done. Bummer.

You know how many times Drivers get questioned about production?

I'm pretty sure it's every :censored2:ing day.

90% of our battle is load quality and yet we get this dummy sorting his truck OFF the clock, pretty much slapping our face.

Awesome.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Remember that is not the Union way. Seniority is the only thing that matters and mediocre employees are protected here.
There were mediocre employees, but if I remember right, there were plenty of mediocre management on all levels. Why were some of these People promoted and the good ones disappeared? The world may never know.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Their is not incentive to run. you try to burn it up and they just go make you help somebody else. they penalize the good workers.
It took me a while to figure this out. After a while I learned my lesson, I stuck to my guns after that. I survived a year of them trying to fire me. Upstate, I thanked God for the contract I could "hide behind" at this time. I was able to make it to retirement years later as a result. I tried to follow all the rules and take care of my customers. I miss them most of all and I know some of them miss me. Just remember, back in the day, real people died for your right to "hide behind a contract". If you choose not to, so be it. But do not turn your nose up at those employees that turn to the union and the contract to help them out when they may not have anywhere else to turn to.

rod

Retired 22 years
Some day in future your grandkids could be working for a company like UPS (UPS will no longer exist) and they will talk of the days that they heard about from their grandpas who told them about when the Unions were strong and a person could support a family on the good wages and benefits that existed because of the Unions. Then they will talk about the weaklings who wouldn't support the Union and ruined a hundred + years of gaining progress in getting a fair share of the pie.

JL 0513

Yea it is a big deal. I see it everyday at my center, drivers looking at their EDD, sorting their cars before start time. Your steward should put a stop to this.

And yet the company sets up about 3 expensive ORION work stations in each center to go on and plan your day. The only allotted time for this is before the PCM. Sure, you might be able to spare a minute or two after the PCM but 50 drivers at three computers probably wouldn't work.

This company constantly sets you up to work off the clock. The ORION stations are the most blatant. Efficiently setting up your air run on an unfamiliar route is another area drivers are indirectly pushed to plan off the clock. If you plan after PCM, you are leaving too late.

Simply gathering you DIAD, paper work, high values,...is
working off the clock. I've said before that the company really needs to allow at least 10 minutes of set up and planning time before PCM.

How is it that a union shop is set up this way? Every other job I've ever had was non union and the clock started as soon as you walked through the doors and punched the clock even when you actually didn't start working until you got settled, usually 5-10 minutes later.

asphaltcowboy

Some day in future your grandkids could be working for a company like UPS (UPS will no longer exist) and they will talk of the days that they heard about from their grandpas who told them about when the Unions were strong and a person could support a family on the good wages and benefits that existed because of the Unions. Then they will talk about the weaklings who wouldn't support the Union and ruined a hundred + years of gaining progress in getting a fair share of the pie.

I sure hope not I'd like to make it another 30 years hope the union can last that long at least!

asphaltcowboy

Me too man it's sad to see scabs not pay dues and when they get termination letter for attendance they go ahead and sign up then cancel after it has smoothed over

asphaltcowboy

We all need to get teamster membership cards from a steward and pass them out and express the importance of signing up. But we got all these people who rather let their supe work to get off early so the supe seems to make a better salary to their hours worked and they complain about the small 15 hour check. The dues would be paid for if only bargaining unit employees did Union work and supes actually did their job. Heck ups then would need to get rid of the salary laborers they got promoting them after seniority and don't know squat about the job.

reginald95

I always kill routes that I cover on a regular basis. Most regular route drives waste too much time "talking" up their customers. I don't run, I just go in get a signature and get out. If that makes me a runner then I guess I'm a runner.

OPTION3

I'm fully aware of what the contract states. However, how am I preventing others from getting routes? Please explain! I thought you got routes by bidding on them. You don't bid and or you don't have the seniority of winning the bid..you don't get a route. Last I checked they don't just handout routes. If you are going to attempt to make an argument at least explain it.
I’ll explain it for you...10 drivers in your loop(including you).....Lets say each driver does 80 business stops before 1700. From 10:30 to 1700 thats 80 stops 10.7 stops in that time frame to get them done.....If you take lunch between 1300 and 1400 that brings the stops for that time period (1030 to 1700) to 12.3. NOW 1.6 Business stops difference does not sound like much...until you say 7 drivers like you skip their lunch 7x1.6....thats 11.2 stops...just about another route ...just by taking your meal period DURING Business hours. These numbers are wholly hypothetical but if you skip lunch...or even take lunch at the end of the day...YES you are getting runs cut...it’s simple. I Have learned in my 28+ years at UPS...Some people NEVER learn.....Keep giving your money to a BILLION+ dollar corporation....Your management team needs the money to pay for their healthcare

Back first

I’ll explain it for you...10 drivers in your loop(including you).....Lets say each driver does 80 business stops before 1700. From 10:30 to 1700 thats 80 stops 10.7 stops in that time frame to get them done.....If you take lunch between 1300 and 1400 that brings the stops for that time period (1030 to 1700) to 12.3. NOW 1.6 Business stops difference does not sound like much...until you say 7 drivers like you skip their lunch 7x1.6....thats 11.2 stops...just about another route ...just by taking your meal period DURING Business hours. These numbers are wholly hypothetical but if you skip lunch...or even take lunch at the end of the day...YES you are getting runs cut...it’s simple. I Have learned in my 28+ years at UPS...Some people NEVER learn.....Keep giving your money to a BILLION+ dollar corporation....Your management team needs the money to pay for their healthcare
I couldn't of said it any better. Unfortunately some drivers will never learn. So frustrating.

box_beeyotch

I'm what's wrong with the company for for some off-the-clock organizing. If we go under I'll take the blame.

Guys like you dont get it and probably never will. You probably skip your lunch and run too. It took me 2 days after I qualified to figure out we get paid by the hour. You must have a weak steward because this would not fly in my center.

Mr.Golden

If you do everything correctly and I mean correctly on your bid rt you should go out with no more than 85 stops on a regular day. Maybe 110 during peak.

watdaflock?

but if I remember right, there were plenty of mediocre management on all levels. Why were some of these People promoted and the good ones disappeared?
Favoritism by the big bosses. We have one manager at our little hub who gets excellent reviews only because of being best buds with the boss.