Killing a route as a cover driver

Grey

Guys like you dont get it and probably never will. You probably skip your lunch and run too. It took me 2 days after I qualified to figure out we get paid by the hour. You must have a weak steward because this would not fly in my center.

Our stewards are constantly drilling everyone about taking your full lunch. It's a big no no. They're pretty reasonable about guys getting into their truck a few minutes early.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I'm fully aware of what the contract states. However, how am I preventing others from getting routes? Please explain! I thought you got routes by bidding on them. You don't bid and or you don't have the seniority of winning the bid..you don't get a route. Last I checked they don't just handout routes. If you are going to attempt to make an argument at least explain it.

By running and gunning you're hurting the Union as a whole. If everybody did the job by the book, there would be more jobs to be filled by honest dues paying Teamsters. By running and not taking your lunch, you're taking food out of all your co-workers kids mouths. Think about it. There would be more routes for everyone to bid on. Besides all this, you will NEVER be able to keep up your running and gunning for 30+ years. Every one of your co-workers hates your methods, unless they're all like UpState.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I always get a kick out of senior drivers telling swing drivers to not work off the clock. I'm on a new route, have 13 nda's in a crappy load and I'm not supposed to go in my truck early lol. Get real.

That's right, stay out of your truck until works starts. You can "get real" by talking to the loader and give them some advice on loading the truck. Thirteen NDA's...you crack me up! That would've been a light NDA day for me and I averaged 140 miles a day on my route. Those "senior drivers" could kick your ass and should kick it for working off the clock. I hope you get hurt while working off the clock. What are you going to do then?

Grey

That's right, stay out of your truck until works starts. You can "get real" by talking to the loader and give them some advice on loading the truck. Thirteen NDA's...you crack me up! That would've been a light NDA day for me and I averaged 140 miles a day on my route. Those "senior drivers" could kick your ass and should kick it for working off the clock. I hope you get hurt while working off the clock. What are you going to do then?

Thanks for the tips, however I hope you don't get hurt. Having the same loader every day would certainly help in that regard.

DriverMD

I actually come into the building 45 minutes after the posted start time every day just to ensure that Im not walking off the clock. I dont know how anyone comes into the building and walks around off the clock, its like those people are just GIVING management their money. Never in my wildest dreams would i even think of literally putting any effort towards even breathing in a UPS building while im off the clock.

Grey

I actually come into the building 45 minutes after the posted start time every day just to ensure that Im not walking off the clock. I dont know how anyone comes into the building and walks around off the clock, its like those people are just GIVING management their money. Never in my wildest dreams would i even think of literally putting any effort towards even breathing in a UPS building while im off the clock.

Drivers posted start times in our center are either 850 or 905. Every truck is gone by 930 so I'm not buying that.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Thanks for the tips, however I hope you don't get hurt. Having the same loader every day would certainly help in that regard.

I won't get hurt "on the job" as I've been retired since early 2011. Too bad you don't have a regular loader...it does help to at least have that. Think about it though, working off the clock is giving management a good reason to not hire another loader that would be permanent because they know you'll work "off the clock" to make up for that loading position.

FilingBluesFL

My best advise to all you newbie drivers is to not buy into ANYTHING Upstate is selling otherwise you will end up an old washed up delivery driver who has absolutely NO friends at home or work other than a friggin cat. I bet even his best buddy (his center manager) even laughs at him behind his back.

And you'll get run over by cars, too......