Killing a route as a cover driver

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Which part is not true, getting fired or telematics being able to tell about the seatbelt?

Because both are true. While you can't be fired for not wearing your seatbelt from telematics alone, they know you are doing it and if they follow you and observe it, good luck.

Telematics cannot tell that you are not wearing your seatbelt. It can only tell that it is latched while the truck is moving.

But it can also tell that it is latched when the truck is not moving. It can also tell that it was latched for the past 3 or 4 hours, or however long you kept it latched.

Your sup just never did anything about it. But they can.

Follow you. Observe you. Termination for dishonesty.

I've done it while talking to SUP's regarding meetpoints for misroutes, and waiting for them.
They also put up these fancy reports about seatbelt use, and I never got dinged with any events, so perhaps I figured a way to beat the system.

That, or I must've been the favorite :D :D

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I've done it while talking to SUP's regarding meetpoints for misroutes, and waiting for them.
They also put up these fancy reports about seatbelt use, and I never got dinged with any events, so perhaps I figured a way to beat the system.

That, or I must've been the favorite :D :D
Only a matter of time till you will be terminated. Don't usually enjoy seeing that happen to anyone, but yours I can't wait to see.

sportsjock

I cover two high seniority drivers route. Both are very sweet 80-100 stops mostly commercial bulk. Both have two buildings that are very slow to get delivered. There is a third downtown route that I'm told I run better then the regular route driver. The route driver just won the permanent bid about a year ago. I did the route cold and was finished before the pick ups. This guy cries about the route take half hour lunches. Before I take lunch I have that truck practically empty. Before I became FT driver I drove utility for the Center that does all the downtown routes, so that's my element. I hate Resi routes!! I'm not a runner I do work at a good steady easy pace, I just work smart and efficient. Drivers love when I cover their route. Although I have my own route now.

box_beeyotch

I always get a kick out of senior drivers telling swing drivers to not work off the clock. I'm on a new route, have 13 nda's in a crappy load and I'm not supposed to go in my truck early lol. Get real.

You're part of what's wrong with this company. Do your job, sort your load, and find your airs on the clock. Why work when you're not getting paid?

Boulevard859710

As a loader the easiest package car I have is run by an older guy that is approaching retirement. Normally it's half full and its a small truck. Needless to say it's my favorite to load. One morning it got completely blown out. The thing was crammed full, I was wondering what was going on. Turns out a cover driver was taking it that morning. Seems like management knows who they can pile it on.
No surprise. When I first started, I learned very quickly that it's a big mistake to beat the higher seniority drivers back in. If they notice, you automatically have more crap the next day. I recently took over a route by a guy that retired. I have more stuff. Crap doesn't just roll downhill, so do packages.

sportsjock

You should also "know" we have this thing called a contract. It's what these guys called the "teamsters union" fought to have Its great you just go doing the "sups a favor" and don't worry about your other teamster brothers struggling trying to get a route.

I'm fully aware of what the contract states. However, how am I preventing others from getting routes? Please explain! I thought you got routes by bidding on them. You don't bid and or you don't have the seniority of winning the bid..you don't get a route. Last I checked they don't just handout routes. If you are going to attempt to make an argument at least explain it.

Last edited:

DriverMD

Which part is not true, getting fired or telematics being able to tell about the seatbelt?

Because both are true. While you can't be fired for not wearing your seatbelt from telematics alone, they know you are doing it and if they follow you and observe it, good luck.

Telematics cannot tell that you are not wearing your seatbelt. It can only tell that it is latched while the truck is moving.

But it can also tell that it is latched when the truck is not moving. It can also tell that it was latched for the past 3 or 4 hours, or however long you kept it latched.

Your sup just never did anything about it. But they can.

Follow you. Observe you. Termination for dishonesty.
Ive never done anything like that. Ive been observed numerous times, even twice by the building manager, and have been commended for following all the proper rules.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ive never done anything like that. Ive been observed numerous times, even twice by the building manager, and have been commended for following all the proper rules.
That's good because a driver in MD got fired for doing exactly that, 3 or 4 years ago.

Back first

It's really not a big deal doing a bit of organizing before you leave, especially if you're blind. To each his own.
Yea it is a big deal. I see it everyday at my center, drivers looking at their EDD, sorting their cars before start time. Your steward should put a stop to this.

JackStraw

I always get a kick out of senior drivers telling swing drivers to not work off the clock. I'm on a new route, have 13 nda's in a crappy load and I'm not supposed to go in my truck early lol. Get real.
I guess you can't do the job and have to resort to cheating to get it done. Bummer.