Killing a route as a cover driver

Some cover drivers DON'T take care of customers. They have the attitude of they don't see these customers every day so don't care about screwing them over. I knew some drivers who had a lot of seniority but didn't want their own route because that would mean they would have to start taking care of customers.
I rather take care of the customers. Than learn a new route.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?
umad.gif

I BET YOU THINK YOU'RE SO COOL SKIPPING YOUR LUNCH, NOT DOING A PROPER PRETRIP, RUNNING ACROSS LAWNS, DRIVER RELEASING BUSINESS, SPEEDING, NOT USING 3 POINTS OF CONTACT, DRIVING UP DRIVEWAYS, NOT COUNTING PICKUP PIECES, DOING PICKUPS EARLY, THROWING PACKAGES ON DOORSTEPS, AND THINKING YOU'RE ALL THAT. I USE TO BE LIKE YOU BUT NOW I LIVE IN A VAN.....DOWN BY THE RIVER. :beafraid::wink2:

JackStraw

I never care what a cover driver does on my route. Whenever a cheater would burn it up and mgt. would mention it, I tell them "Well that's so and so. I hope you don't expect me to do that. Hey I havn't had my safety ride yet, why don't you hop on the truck?" That ends the conversation.

thebrownbomber

R u telling me you come in early, work off the clock and set your stops up? There is no reason to ever be in your truck off the clock, what happens if u trip over something in your truck while working off the clock and get hurt. You may think burning down routes is fun but getting hurt off the clock means you get no pay and they ask why in the world you were in your truck off the clock. You also will probably get fired.

Sent using BrownCafe App

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Preloader came out of driving school in May and I trained him to run my route before I had my surgery in June. I went in to see everybody one morning and I hear this idiot was finishing two hours under with 160 stops a day. 100 miles and 125 stops works up to eight hours on my route, it had a good time study done on it. I usually scratch it everyday by 30 under myself, and you can bet I take every second of my lunch.

So while doing Safety Committee TAW work, I followed him doing an On Area Safety Observation. "Hero" had already told me that he comes in an hour early to set the load up off the clock. I had a hard time following him while he was driving 40MPH through subdivisions with a speed limit of 25MPH. Of course he was jumping out of the car and running across lawns. I told him I was seeing dollar bills fall out of his back pockets as he was running like a fool. When I got back to work a couple of weeks ago, there were six new pickups added to my usual four, I had those taken off right away. I doubt that he will last long, he is an accident waiting to happen.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My Preloader came out of driving school in May and I trained him to run my route before I had my surgery in June. I went in to see everybody one morning and I hear this idiot was finishing two hours under with 160 stops a day. 100 miles and 125 stops works up to eight hours on my route, it had a good time study done on it. I usually scratch it everyday by 30 under myself, and you can bet I take every second of my lunch.

So while doing Safety Committee TAW work, I followed him doing an On Area Safety Observation. "Hero" had already told me that he comes in an hour early to set the load up off the clock. I had a hard time following him while he was driving 40MPH through subdivisions with a speed limit of 25MPH. Of course he was jumping out of the car and running across lawns. I told him I was seeing dollar bills fall out of his back pockets as he was running like a fool. When I got back to work a couple of weeks ago, there were six new pickups added to my usual four, I had those taken off right away. I doubt that he will last long, he is an accident waiting to happen.

We all do it when we are new. Hopefully it's just a small accident and he learns his lesson.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you are in a bonus Center, burn it up. If not, you are giving money away. My covers burn up my route. I run an hour and a half or more faster than the guy before me. Customer service? Drop off box, pick up box.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I come in early to go through my truck which I feel really helps out with my pace.

No thank you. I'll do that while I'm on the clock. Once I get all my commercial stuff off, it takes me about 10 minutes to sort the rest of my day. But while I'm doing my commercial stuff, I'm sorting while I'm looking. Learn to multitask.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?
Dont feel bad when you're laid off because there is no route for you to run. You will wish you had taken care of your body in about 10 yrs when you have knee replacement surgery. Not saying work slow.....just work at a normal pace and maybe you will be able to walk when you get older. Nobody says you have to run or work for free.

Thebrownstreak

NEVER NEVER NEVER come in early and work off the clock. Sure sorting out the mess and setting up your day stop to stop makes the day go by quicker. Unfortunately you are not suppose to be doing that. In our building we had 4 drivers get hurt in a lil over a year doing the same thing. Management actually started handing out warning letters over it. UPS has tons of $$$ that they are willing to pay you for doing the job by the methods. As others have said, if you were to get hurt working off the clock you are SOL. You won't get workers comp, and in some cases you can get fired. I understand that as a cover driver there are other things that you'd rather be doing than staying out till 7-8pm nightly. I have 3 kids and would love to be home earlier. But i also am looking out for them by making sure that "IF" i were to get injured, its happening on the clock. One day 10 years from now you'll be the one getting upset when a cover driver does the exact same things your doing now

CHALLY9TX

It took about 2 years to realize that this is a marathon and not a sprint. The harder and faster you work, the more work they give you. I'm not saying to be a slacker. Work safe and follow the methods. I know this driver that makes an air run no matter how many stops they give him. He skips his lunch. He also never works a full week because he calls in. Management looks the other way because he makes their numbers look great. It's kinda sad because I know he won't make it to retirement.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I very rural route is 300 miles a day.