Killing a route as a cover driver

MethodsMan

We have a satelitte driver that has taken a 60 stop route and made it 100+ everyday. All because he wanted off early. He bitches everyday. Then works faster harder and indirects more to get it all off. He whines and cries everyday. Chews drivers out that he's doing their work. Yet he continues to get it done. Not the sharpest tool.

He's a satellite driver? What does he call in to bitch and whine?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Im following speed limits. Running off long driveways. Not leaving packages in this cab.

You're supposed to WALK them off.

In all seriousness though, nobody wants a "showoff" new driver to burn up their route. We all know you guys are going to do it, but that doesn't make us feel better about it. Working at a slower rate doesn't benefit someone else, it will benefit you, but you won't realize that for a few more years yet. Whenever you get done too early, they're going to start sending you to bail out all these other drivers, so you work SAFELY (slower) and follow all of their stupid methods (fold in mirrors at every stop) down to the letter, so you only need to complete the work that YOU go out with in the morning.

Crushing routes isn't going to help you make friends with the senior drivers who's routes you will be learning and running, but hey, what do we know?

Re-Raise

im as clean as I can be. I dont understand why everyone gets so sensitive. Im not going to work at a physically slower rate to make someone else look good.
All I can say is they are so "cute" at this stage. You just keep making those old timers jealous. We all care when you get done... keep telling yourself that.

JL 0513

A lot of it comes down to the pressure newer guys feel to perform well. Seniority guys don't care after a while but a new guy feels like they're watching every move and counting every minute, which can be true. And I'm talking about post 30 days. This feeling can easily last a good 2 years, or even for as long as you're a cover driver. I often have the attitude of wanting to prove myself with each new route I run.

DriverMD

Read your original post....You basically started a thread to brag about yourself. Sorry not everyone took the bait!
I started the thread giving you information that you could use to give me a decent answer. Obviously that didn't work and it started a war. Sorry for wasting your time everyone.

DriverMD

A lot of it comes down to the pressure newer guys feel to perform well. Seniority guys don't care after a while but a new guy feels like they're watching every move and counting every minute, which can be true. And I'm talking about post 30 days. This feeling can easily last a good 2 years, or even for as long as you're a cover driver. I often have the attitude of wanting to prove myself with each new route I run.
Maybe I just dont realize im making less money by working faster. I came from making $11 an hour in pre load to making a ton more and im fine with what im making now in the amount of time it takes me to complete. Whatever. It seems to have rustled some seniors' feathers.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have no problem with someone being faster than me, at all. I have no problem with a younger guy burning up my route. The younger guys that run my route, do 1/2 stop an hour better than me. When I was younger I could tear it up too. I still can do more work in a day than most people ever do. UPS people not included. You get hired coz you are an animal, you are fast, us older guys have to remember that.
No one is going to listen to the preserve your body crap, I didnt either when I was taking 2 stairs at a time, and never using a dolly, and jumping off docks, jumping out out of the truck, like an Impala (deer) and beating myself to death, coz I was young and I recovered faster. Now not so much.

One place I did take my time though was the driving part, because you could change your life and someone elses in an instant, especially the way people drive now! I commend all of you younger guys for working hard, fast, and being impressive. Be proud of it. Just dont work off the clock, to do it, and preserve your body for your kids, and spouse, and yourself. Every week goes by fast before you know it, you are at the end.

I have no problem with someone being faster than me, at all. I have no problem with a younger guy burning up my route. The younger guys that run my route, do 1/2 stop an hour better than me. When I was younger I could tear it up too. I still can do more work in a day than most people ever do. UPS people not included. You get hired coz you are an animal, you are fast, us older guys have to remember that.
No one is going to listen to the preserve your body crap, I didnt either when I was taking 2 stairs at a time, and never using a dolly, and jumping off docks, jumping out out of the truck, like an Impala (deer) and beating myself to death, coz I was young and I recovered faster. Now not so much.

One place I did take my time though was the driving part, because you could change your life and someone elses in an instant, especially the way people drive now! I commend all of you younger guys for working hard, fast, and being impressive. Be proud of it. Just dont work off the clock, to do it, and preserve your body for your kids, and spouse, and yourself. Every week goes by fast before you know it, you are at the end.
You had me, at dolly!