Killing a route as a cover driver

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Sometimes, these guys can't find their truck keys in the am. I feel horrible when it happens to these stand up individuals.
Last week I had a new seasonal come up at almost start time...walks into the truck looking at his board...and he had a school stop PAL'd to the rear door. He calls me over...shows me his board and asks "what does R-D-R mean?" Lmao...ohh boy.

Packmule

Normally, cover drivers who burn up my route leave me with all the miles they claim are no such number. Then I have follow ups for mis delivered pkgs, and sometimes I'm trying to collect a new check for a cod cause the guy lost it.
Also, running, unless you weigh about 129 lbs you will destroy your knees.
Good luck.

purplesky

I'm a cover driver. The guy who's route I'm covering normally goes out with 90-100 stops (100 is a heavy day for him) on a very rural area. I'm going out with around 120+ (140 was the most) and coming in WELL before he does. Like, several hours before him. I dont even feel like I'm working all that fast. Is there anything I should be looking out for? I really dont think I could move any slower than I am now. Is this how the you make enemies with your union "brothers"?

Yes. You should be looking for a smaller paycheck. Fool.

No way you are done several hours early with 30 more spread out rural stops. Eat Much? Speed much?

Apparently Atlanta is satisfied with the regular guys numbers and so is the management team at the center.

So just do the job and mind your own damn business.

Start saving for knee replacements now while you are younger so you can pay cash.

purplesky

I used to love burning up routes when I was a casual. Yeah, it would piss off the bid drivers to no end, but I didn't care----I was trying to get a FT position.

I can recall one day I jumped to cover a country run I used to have. The previous driver had talked poorly about me prior to me taking over the run. He took the run back when I bid off the area. Anyway, on the day in question, I burned the route up----78 stops, which would have taken him until 1830 (or later)----and I was punched out and gone by 1515. The best part is that he happened to be at the bldg picking up his paycheck when I pulled in. I saw him, glanced at my watch and laughed my ass off at him.

To your point-----will it upset the "older guys"? Absolutely. Should that bother you? Absolutely not.

So his paycheck was bigger than yours? He was probably laughing at you also.

I learned very fast as a xman that burning up routes and working like a fool only amounts to a smaller income and more stops the next day.

"The search for excellence" is not fun.

purplesky

Dont feel bad when you're laid off because there is no route for you to run. You will wish you had taken care of your body in about 10 yrs when you have knee replacement surgery. Not saying work slow.....just work at a normal pace and maybe you will be able to walk when you get older. Nobody says you have to run or work for free.

Yes even the on car sups are physically beat up after 10 years. Must be from secretly running off garbage stops after all the drivers have left the BLDG.

Packmule

Normally, cover drivers who burn up my route leave me with all the miles they claim are no such number. Then I have follow ups for mis delivered pkgs, and sometimes I'm trying to collect a new check for a cod cause the guy lost it.
Also, running, unless you weigh about 129 lbs you will destroy your knees.
Good luck.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So if I happen to work faster than someone, im showing off to management? What happens if I work slower than the bid driver? Is that what im supposed to do?
How fast or slow you run a route is your choice. But go out of your way to point out to management how awesome you are and how much you think the bid driver sucks is a cheese dick move.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
cheese dick=A kiss ass' kiss ass. A brown nose that will sellout his brothers and throw anyone under the bus.
0abc6a41_tumblr_ltdpwkHbqj1qcro1do1_500.gif

MethodsMan

A lot of these guys can't stand runners unless they're in their loop. Then they love the lightened workload because the runner is taking on an extra 20 stops.

I don't run, never have 'ran'. But, I work at a brisk pace though and scratch or get a little bonus on most routes. Its funny one of the biggest runners I know is almost a 30 year driver.

Who cares. People need to worry about themselves.

DriverMD

A lot of these guys can't stand runners unless they're in their loop. Then they love the lightened workload because the runner is taking on an extra 20 stops.

I don't run, never have 'ran'. But, I work at a brisk pace though and scratch or get a little bonus on most routes. Its funny one of the biggest runners I know is almost a 30 year driver.

Who cares. People need to worry about themselves.
I just run the long driveways. I never back into those. The only other time I run is when I've got a really heavy load, which I dont have a problem with seeing as im being paid to actually work. Thanks for the response.

MethodsMan

I just run the long driveways. I never back into those. The only other time I run is when I've got a really heavy load, which I dont have a problem with seeing as im being paid to actually work. Thanks for the response.

You don't need to 'run'. That's just dumb. There's actually running like it sounds like you do and then there's being efficient at running a route by being smooth, steady, not making mistakes and if you get in sooner than the regular guy, you get labeled a runner. If you do the former, knock it off. You got a long career here, pace yourself. If you do the latter, screw em' and do what you do.