Kobe Bryant is dead

rod

Retired 22 years
I’m a firm believer that anyone who is only trained in flying VFR should not be hauling families around. VFR= visual flight rules. VFR pilots use the ground as a reference . VFR pilots tend to not believe their instruments and that’s where you get in serious trouble flying into fog. IFR (instrument flight rules) pilots are trained wearing blinders that only allow you to see the instrument panel. JMO

oldngray

nowhere special
I’m a firm believer that anyone who is only trained in flying VFR should not be hauling families around. VFR= visual flight rules. VFR pilots use the ground as a reference . VFR pilots tend to not believe their instruments and that’s where you get in serious trouble flying into fog. IFR (instrument flight rules) pilots are trained wearing blinders that only allow you to see the instrument panel. JMO
It sounds like he was impatient and didn't want to take the time to switch to IFR

bacha29

It sounds like he was impatient and didn't want to take the time to switch to IFR
One report said that he was flying too low and too slow for his auto pilot to be of much help.At one point in time he came to nearly a dead stop. Don't know why he didn't call in for a new altitude and position and allow ATC to bring him back to the airport. Weather report said that while he had 2.5 miles of visibility he only had an 1100 foot ceiling.

Box Ox

Kobe Bryant & Daughter Die in Helicopter Crash, Photos from Her Last Game

“4:30 PM PT -- L.A. weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes.

The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.

At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.

However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.”

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sounds like pilot error. He insisted on flying too low after being warned.
Sounds to me like the pilot wasn't using his controls for flying in fog. Local residents said it was a fog like they've never seen before.....thick, dense..... We had the same strange fog here too! Situation sounds too much like John-John's night flying. I think the pilot was visually following the highway and the fog eventually hid it.

rod

Retired 22 years
If he flew around in circles for 15 minutes that shoots that argument. Sounds to me like if a person had Kobe's money they should have sprung for a better pilot.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sounds to me like the pilot wasn't using his controls for flying in fog. Local residents said it was a fog like they've never seen before.....thick, dense..... We had the same strange fog here too! Situation sounds too much like John-John's night flying. I think the pilot was visually following the highway and the fog eventually hid it.

As far as I know all that is needed to switch from VFR to IFR is to radio in that you are switching---30 seconds max. ------and you must be IFR certified to do that.