Labor Shortage

EmpireUPS909

Trailer sweep is a cake walk
Out here in Southern California, new employee rate starts at 18 dollars. Locally, Amazon has now started to offer 20 dollars an hour. Most other warehouses, distribution centers and logistics companies have been following suite like Target Distribution, Walmart, DHL and more. I've had conversation with members of mgmt and trainers who said that UPS is still struggling to fill roles at 18 dollars an hour. UPS is going to have trouble competing for workers come the holidays due to the hourly wage and the fact that these positions are part time. Do you all see another wage increase coming? How about the elimination of the part time role? If another wage increase does come, how do members with seniority feel that new workers are starting off in a better position without the Unions involvement?

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I am in LA we are getting 15 hubs not in the city of LA are getting 14.50.

EmpireUPS909

Trailer sweep is a cake walk
Screenshot_20210623-033556~2.png

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
It's beyond time for ups to get competitive with wages. We can't expect to hire and keep people for what amounts to fast food wages. Here in my little slice of ups they're paying $18 an hour and we can't keep anyone around. Crappy culture, untrained, unprofessional and unqualified supes are the main reason. Doesn't matter what the $ is, people will only put up with so much for so long.

nWo

No insurance for 9 months at UPS. And if they raise the starting rate above $8.50 a bunch of morbidly obese feeder drivers start having meltdowns.

Minimum wage with no benefits isn't cutting it anymore.

UPSER1987

No insurance for 9 months at UPS. And if they raise the starting rate above $8.50 a bunch of morbidly obese feeder drivers start having meltdowns.

Minimum wage with no benefits isn't cutting it anymore.
Fat boys want their cake and eat it too-literally.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
how do members with seniority feel that new workers are starting off in a better position without the Unions involvement?

The contact says the agreed upon amounts are minimums. How much more involvement do you want? They can't force the wages higher before next contract negotiations, so they agreed that the company can raise amounts any time they need to without needing to negotiate over it. At this point, the only thing standing in the way of paying higher wages is UPS.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The contact says the agreed upon amounts are minimums. How much more involvement do you want? They can't force the wages higher before next contract negotiations, so they agreed that the company can raise amounts any time they need to without needing to negotiate over it. At this point, the only thing standing in the way of paying higher wages is UPS.

What is your opinion on what the starting hourly rate for a part timer will be in the 2023 contract?

I expect it to be over twenty, and a 401k match in lieu of pension benefits.