Last minute change of mind on working Saturday

11.19igrad

That’s the problem. They want a revolving door. Less Employees reaching full rate. Less employees with 4,5,6,7 weeks of vacation. Corporate will stick the onus of center management level to deal with the constant turnover. Newer package drivers need to stand up for themselves. Don’t work a 6th day. Tell them nope, can’t work safely. Don’t give into their nonsense. The mountain of irregs piling up every day and the rolled stops are not the problem of package car drivers. That’s their problem. One of the greatest sights every peak when I was in package was bringing it in at 14 and on my way out the door watching my center manager and on-car supervisors running around like their pants were on fire. Never forget when that DIAD goes in the rack, your day is over. Their day never ends. 24-7-365
Well this helps me feel a little better about being fired. I did think it was a decent career-esque job if I kept at it but had this not happened I would have never understood the contract and what 22.4 really is, etc etc. I do wonder if you’re fired in one district can you ever work in another district after a certain period of time? Of course I’d only try if there was a chance of a full time contract. I feel bad for all my classmates not knowing what they are actually involved in. We all thought we had done something solid becoming a 22.4. 😔

DriverNerd

Well this helps me feel a little better about being fired. I did think it was a decent career-esque job if I kept at it but had this not happened I would have never understood the contract and what 22.4 really is, etc etc. I do wonder if you’re fired in one district can you ever work in another district after a certain period of time? Of course I’d only try if there was a chance of a full time contract. I feel bad for all my classmates not knowing what they are actually involved in. We all thought we had done something solid becoming a 22.4. 😔

Being a 22.4 isn't necessarily a bad job, especially if you're new to UPS or a low seniority employee. It's a good way to make a decent chunk of change being young or new. That being said, I can see after a year or two lots of 22.4's becoming bitter about the job, knowing they get paid less to do the same job as other drivers while getting screwed over all the time.

11.19igrad

Being a 22.4 isn't necessarily a bad job, especially if you're new to UPS or a low seniority employee. It's a good way to make a decent chunk of change being young or new. That being said, I can see after a year or two lots of 22.4's becoming bitter about the job, knowing they get paid less to do the same job as other drivers while getting screwed over all the time.
On my 20854th stop something went wrong. I will never know how or why. I do know I was never taken out on stops and tested on any methods. I would have failed a few and could have learned and avoided this. But the ups snake gods of doom and death forbid such things as instruction and safety.

Whither

Scofflaw
I’m willing to fight and push this to the next level and get to panel and let them explain to me how its justified that I should be punished for being unwilling to work a peak schedule year round.

Amen brother, I'm right there with you. I didn't sign up to work 6/60 all year long.

On a related note, I requested my meeting with the district labor mgr, BA, etal (per Art 37.1) on my 6th paid 9.5 grieve of the year to bring my dispatch into compliance. I've since accumulated 3 more grieves, and counting. Our knowledgeable, firebrand stew couldn't make locals, but the alternates and BA were present. I followed up only to learn that not one of them so much as brought up my request. Told the stew and he was as peeved as me. BA wants to 'explain his position' tmrw, which, I've already gathered, is excusing the company due to 'special circumstances'. Nope. The IBT didn't concede 9.5 protections due to Covid.

11.19igrad

Amen brother, I'm right there with you. I didn't sign up to work 6/60 all year long.

On a related note, I requested my meeting with the district labor mgr, BA, etal (per Art 37.1) on my 6th paid 9.5 grieve of the year to bring my dispatch into compliance. I've since accumulated 3 more grieves, and counting. Our knowledgeable, firebrand stew couldn't make locals, but the alternates and BA were present. I followed up only to learn that not one of them so much as brought up my request. Told the stew and he was as peeved as me. BA wants to 'explain his position' tmrw, which, I've already gathered, is excusing the company due to 'special circumstances'. Nope. The IBT didn't concede 9.5 protections due to Covid.
So even a good contract with protections is only as good as its enforcement. Seems like they can and will let grievances stack up and then not even hear them. That’s helpful. The union should try for a clause that enacts a default judgement and automatic payment on valid 9.5 grievances after 30biz days.

Ghost in the Darkness

One of the greatest sights every peak when I was in package was bringing it in at 14 and on my way out the door watching my center manager and on-car supervisors running around like their pants were on fire.

I can't remember the last time I seen sups or center manager still in the building when I'm getting back. There used to be a time years ago when they had to be there but it seems those days are long gone.

Whither

Scofflaw
So even a good contract with protections is only as good as its enforcement. Seems like they can and will let grievances stack up and then not even hear them. That’s helpful. The union should try for a clause that enacts a default judgement and automatic payment on valid 9.5 grievances after 30biz days.

To be clear, the BA did enforce our 9.5 grieves, and the company has less than a week to pay them before another penalty is due. But he arbitrarily decided to ignore my valid request for a meeting to bring my dispatch under 9.5.

You are correct: lax enforcement renders the contract null and void.

Rack em

Made the Podium
To be clear, the BA did enforce our 9.5 grieves, and the company has less than a week to pay them before another penalty is due. But he arbitrarily decided to ignore my valid request for a meeting to bring my dispatch under 9.5.

You are correct: lax enforcement renders the contract null and void.
Were you paid penalty 4 times before you requested the meeting about your dispatch?

Whither

Scofflaw
Were you paid penalty 4 times before you requested the meeting about your dispatch?

Yup. It was a valid request. I spoke with him at length on the phone today. I get it. He's worried about rocking the boat. Our labor mgr has been paying 9.5 grieves without protest, but that's not the case in the neighboring district, so their grieves are going to panel ... scheety but I get it. Things may be getting better. Under 9.5 two of three days this week. (Really, if the unemployment stimulus isn't renewed - as seems likely - times are gonna get rough.)

Our center is getting several of the highest seniority 22.4s next week. They're all being promoted to RPCD to keep the 3:1 ratio. And just like that I'm going M-friend, right as I reach 1 year FT seniority. BA also gave me his word if I get 4 more payouts in this next opt-in period he will follow through.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Yup. It was a valid request. I spoke with him at length on the phone today. I get it. He's worried about rocking the boat. Our labor mgr has been paying 9.5 grieves without protest, but that's not the case in the neighboring district, so their grieves are going to panel ... scheety but I get it. Things may be getting better. Under 9.5 two of three days this week. (Really, if the unemployment stimulus isn't renewed - as seems likely - times are gonna get rough.)

Our center is getting several of the highest seniority 22.4s next week. They're all being promoted to RPCD to keep the 3:1 ratio. And just like that I'm going M-friend, right as I reach 1 year FT seniority. BA also gave me his word if I get 4 more payouts in this next opt-in period he will follow through.
Nice job playing the game 👍

Rack em

Made the Podium

FOUR MORE!!!! Contract says 4 in a year, tell your BA to do his :censored2:ing job!