LATE Air epidemic in center

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Our start time T-friend is 9:30 and, yes, part of our area has a 10:30 commit.

We use air drivers as needed but for the most part those with the commit run straight air and then go back and start their run all over again.
You don't know how lucky and blessed you are to be in a small center. Don't be so hard on the others in cluster:censored2: centers .

moldsporh

Has your management team never heard of an exception air driver? Wow.

Yup, got rid of them. We were far more productive with air drivers and had very few late airs.

Where are these buildings? Do we work for the same company? They freak here over late airs.

I'd love to work in a building like yours.

They freak over late airs in our bldg also, but they also completely did away with air drivers a little over 4 years ago.

I honestly don't understand why a combo driver can't run some airs....but they won't let them.

tourists24

Actually it is our problem. We we loose customers because of this. Especially big customers. The companies profits diminish. We loose accounts, drivers get laid off ect ect ect
You are correct about this, but once a driver does his/her part in doing the best they can do to get the commit time stuff off, then it's not our problem anymore. Management has to do its part too

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
not sure how things are in your parts of the country but sadly the new norm for us is this.....9:30 start time....no matter what do your first Orion stop...then do as many airs as possible until 10:30...then the rest in trace....no need to call in late airs anymore....had 250 late airs in center 2 week ago....its actually now getting to the point where its embarrassing
now that you let the cat outta the bag this epidemic is gonna spread throughout the world.

Faceplanted

Let's loose lots of big customers right at contract time... talk about how Amazon has an advantage because they pay less....let's spend tons on expansion right now too!!!

Get ready for concessions due to lower profits!!!!!!! Get the big picture guys!!!

Get ready for a lot more stolen bikes!!!

moldsporh

I don't know if you're shocked or just don't believe me/us.....or both.

Air drivers were a nice addition, now we get to del airs until 10:30 and start our routes almost 2 hours after we clock in.

They wonder why we are out late.

Mythical? I almost take offense to that as you are practically calling people liars.

There are more facilities than just your UPS bldg/hub.

Last edited:

km3

AM air drivers are only useful for EAM's or super-urban density stuff

otherwise it's just throwing hours away

Exception drivers don't do EAM here. They finish their preload shift, deliver whatever air is left in the building, then shuttle ground. Sometimes management let's them deliver ground.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Even at the expense of late air (250 in this case)?

it really, really depends on the territory, but if the average UPS center has a serious late air problem, AM air drivers probably won't do much good

Exception drivers don't do EAM here. They finish their preload shift, deliver whatever air is left in the building, then shuttle ground. Sometimes management let's them deliver ground.

your dispatcher is sloppy, lazy, or just bad

km3

I mean, it all has to get delivered. If airs end up being discovered in the building after the FT drivers leave, someone has to get it out. And since air drivers can be used to shuttling ground, as long as they don't deliver it, it's a lot cheaper than grievances or another full-time driver. Letting them deliver it is like tossing them a bone every now and then. "Good boy!"

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I mean, it all has to get delivered. If airs end up being discovered in the building after the FT drivers leave, someone has to get it out. And since air drivers can be used to shuttling ground, as long as they don't deliver it, it's a lot cheaper than grievances or another full-time driver. Letting them deliver it is like tossing them a bone every now and then. "Good boy!"

I know this is gonna sound crazy but, why not get them on the car before the drivers leave?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
one or two air pieces is NBD to be brought out by a supervisor; if you're talking a tote or more, that's pretty exceptional and isn't going to be handled by an air driver anyways

the ground shuttling shouldn't be happening at all; the preload or the dispatch is failing there

tourists24

it really, really depends on the territory, but if the average UPS center has a serious late air problem, AM air drivers probably won't do much good

So you can see where a driver could become very irritated that they are the ones to end up getting blamed? That's where a lot of attitude begins