LATE Air epidemic in center

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
yah i mean late airs can be anybody's fault, it really depends on the center, day, people involved, weather, etc.

good luck with that one because it's exceptional

sure but unless it can't fit into a car, they'd be dumb not to have the sups run it out; wasted hours, and much slower

air drivers aren't "exception drivers"

Because you can't get the air on the cars.good luck with that they will laugh you out of the hearing

oldupsman

New at brown cafe or at UPS? Been at UPS 19 years so definitely not new there. Brown cafe only been around for about a year so kinda new here. Its just my work ethic man. I take pride in doing the best I can in anything I'm doing. Like I said in my previous post, different drivers have different attitudes and there's nothing wrong with any attitude. Some prefer to do as little as possible. As long as their employer doesn't mind, more power to them.

As a retiree I'm glad you still care. I used to have the same attitude. And I actually butted heads with
management sometimes because I cared more than they did about service instead of their silly numbers.

Maybe you remember remote delivery. It only lasted about a year. Because it was really a stupid idea.
Long story short, I refused to do it. Had no reason too.

Called me into the office one day and told me I had to actually start skipping stops and start recording
them as remote. If I didn't I would face the dreaded "disciplinary action." Looked the IE guy right in the eye and said,
"So you're going to discipline me for delivering packages. That will make a great headline in the WSJ. Driver fired
for doing his job. I'm not doing it. Do what you want."

And never heard another word. center manager came down to my car before I left that morning and thanked me for standing up.
Said "Everybody knows it's a stupid idea except IE." Remote ended as a policy soon after.

Returntosender

yeah because that's the only element to it right?

:rolleyes:
A few years ago, Previous center manager was said to number one in district in 4 out 6 elements for 2 quarters. On confrence call, District manager at the time still told him he needs to improve. "LIBS needs improvement."

On QPR center manager still had needs improvement rating.
center manager was forced to retire a year ago.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Starting at 9:30 is ridiculous. I sure hope the union is cracking down on the runner-gunners trying to work while on break.

Bringing the pick up late is the only thing the company will understand.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I have 28 years in and agree 100% with @Northbaypkg.

My only concern is that he says that he runs off "bulk stops with multiple next day air packages" and then has late ground. He should be running straight air only and then going back to start his run over again.

I WAS running straight air only. When I asked for air help in the morning, the supervisor would tell me he had none available and to minimize the damage. That meant do all the air stops with multiple pieces first and leave the onesie twosies for last until it's 10:30.

As a retiree I'm glad you still care. I used to have the same attitude. And I actually butted heads with
management sometimes because I cared more than they did about service instead of their silly numbers.

Maybe you remember remote delivery. It only lasted about a year. Because it was really a stupid idea.

Called me into the office one day and told me I had to actually start skipping stops and start recording
them as remote. If I didn't I would face the dreaded "disciplinary action." Looked the IE guy right in the eye and said,
"So you're going to discipline me for delivering packages. That will make a great headline in the WSJ. Driver fired

And never heard another word. center manager came down to my car before I left that morning and thanked me for standing up.
Said "Everybody knows it's a stupid idea except IE." Remote ended as a policy soon after.

I wasn't driving in the remote delivery days. I've only heard it mentioned on this forum. I've never even heard the senior drivers in my center mention it. Did they even use that in urban areas?

Anyhow from what I've heard of it sounds just about as useful as ORION. Good for you to stop them from forcing their nonsense in you.

oldupsman

I WAS running straight air only. When I asked for air help in the morning, the supervisor would tell me he had none available and to minimize the damage. That meant do all the air stops with multiple pieces first and leave the onesie twosies for last until it's 10:30.

I wasn't driving in the remote delivery days. I've only heard it mentioned on this forum. I've never even heard the senior drivers in my center mention it. Did they even use that in urban areas?

Anyhow from what I've heard of it sounds just about as useful as ORION. Good for you to stop them from forcing their nonsense in you.

Wasn't used in the cities. The original idea was for it to be used in places like Kansas and Nebraska. Long rides
between stops and long farm driveways. But I was in the Philly suburbs where ground service from New York and Washington D.C.
was always just 1 day. Now I'm supposed tell customers who counted on that for years all of a sudden we can't do it anymore.
For no reason other some IE guy needed this program to work. Like I said, it was a really stupid idea.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Wasn't used in the cities. The original idea was for it to be used in places like Kansas and Nebraska. Long rides
between stops and long farm driveways. But I was in the Philly suburbs where ground service from New York and Washington D.C.
was always just 1 day. Now I'm supposed tell customers who counted on that for years all of a sudden we can't do it anymore.
For no reason other some IE guy needed this program to work. Like I said, it was a really stupid idea.

how did remote delivery work? i have no idea it was before my time in IE

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I respectfully disagree with you as I feel that the concept behind rural remote was a sound one. Where I disagreed with mgt is when they started to use it as a dispatch tool.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

how did remote delivery work? i have no idea it was before my time in IE

We were instructed to save any "chasers" until we had enough to make the drive out there worthwhile.

I had a rural run where there was a very small town that was 5 miles each way from a slightly larger town. Most of the people from the VST either worked or shopped in the SLT so it was very easy to get rid of their stuff in town.

The problem with management pulling the stops from the cars is that most rural drivers know where they can "get rid of" stops in town, thereby saving miles and still servicing the customer.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We have bids go up for "air exception driver" all the time.

whoever posts your bids is a mongoloid, there is literally no such thing

Really....

(h) Exception Air Drivers

(1) The Employer and the Union recognize that there may be air packages that cannot be delivered by the regular full-time package car driver or the scheduled air drivers listed in this Section. Therefore, the parties agree to continue the practice of allowing the use of part-time employees who have signed the exception qualified list or who have expressed in writing their desire to be on the list and who have been certified to deliver these exception air packages.

(2) Employees certified on the Exception Air Driver list who have not worked over forty (40) hours in the current work week shall be offered this work by seniority.

(3) Exception air drivers shall have no guarantee and will be paid only for the time worked making air deliveries. In the event a part- time employee works over eight (8) hours in any one (1) twenty- four (24) hour period, he or she shall be compensated at the rate of time and one-half (1-1/2) for all hours worked over eight (8) hours at the rate of pay specified in Section 6 below.

(4) No exception air driver shall be required by the Employer to wait at a center for packages off the clock.

(i) Personal Vehicles

Air Exception drivers will use the Employer’s vehicles whenever possible. Air Exception drivers who would happen to use their personal automobiles shall be reimbursed at the IRS limit applicable per mile for all miles driven to perform the air driving work in addition to their air driver wages. When an employee uses his/her own vehicle in the service of the Employer and is involved in an accident, the Employer shall be responsible for the damages to both the employee’s vehicle and to the other person’s vehicle and/or property, and will provide liability insurance coverage.

All hourly wages for employees covered under Article 40 will be determined in accordance with this Section, Article 22 and Article 41 where specified.

(a) Part-time air drivers including exception air drivers will be paid as follows:

Start
Seniority
Seniority Date plus 12 months Seniority Date plus 18 months Seniority Date plus 24 months

$12.50 $13.50 $14.00 $14.50 Top Rate

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

So, in other words....

You really don't know, what you're talking about. :biggrin:

Exception air drivers have been in existence since 1993.

Prior to that, all air drivers were call "Special Air Drivers" as that is when the company

started in the air business.

If some of you management people, knew as much as you thought you did....

-Bug-

*BTW.... nice racist use of the word mongoloid*

Daf

Best you can do is call in a corporate complaint. 8002204126. It's unethical for your management to not make a reasonable attempt to do what the customer paid for.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Really....

(h) Exception Air Drivers

(1) The Employer and the Union recognize that there may be air packages that cannot be delivered by the regular full-time package car driver or the scheduled air drivers listed in this Section. Therefore, the parties agree to continue the practice of allowing the use of part-time employees who have signed the exception qualified list or who have expressed in writing their desire to be on the list and who have been certified to deliver these exception air packages.

(2) Employees certified on the Exception Air Driver list who have not worked over forty (40) hours in the current work week shall be offered this work by seniority.

(3) Exception air drivers shall have no guarantee and will be paid only for the time worked making air deliveries. In the event a part- time employee works over eight (8) hours in any one (1) twenty- four (24) hour period, he or she shall be compensated at the rate of time and one-half (1-1/2) for all hours worked over eight (8) hours at the rate of pay specified in Section 6 below.

(4) No exception air driver shall be required by the Employer to wait at a center for packages off the clock.

(i) Personal Vehicles

Air Exception drivers will use the Employer’s vehicles whenever possible. Air Exception drivers who would happen to use their personal automobiles shall be reimbursed at the IRS limit applicable per mile for all miles driven to perform the air driving work in addition to their air driver wages. When an employee uses his/her own vehicle in the service of the Employer and is involved in an accident, the Employer shall be responsible for the damages to both the employee’s vehicle and to the other person’s vehicle and/or property, and will provide liability insurance coverage.

All hourly wages for employees covered under Article 40 will be determined in accordance with this Section, Article 22 and Article 41 where specified.

(a) Part-time air drivers including exception air drivers will be paid as follows:

Start
Seniority
Seniority Date plus 12 months Seniority Date plus 18 months Seniority Date plus 24 months

$12.50 $13.50 $14.00 $14.50 Top Rate

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

So, in other words....

You really don't know, what you're talking about. :biggrin:

Exception air drivers have been in existence since 1993.

Prior to that, all air drivers were call "Special Air Drivers" as that is when the company

started in the air business.

If some of you management people, knew as much as you thought you did....

-Bug-

*BTW.... nice racist use of the word mongoloid*
oh some teamsters word, who cares, no bearing on their payroll code

ArcherUTR

Work in a large center in the Southwest. Late Airs are not tolerated.

Run Air-only if you think it is going to be tight. :censored2: ORION during Air run. Has less to do with ORION than it does I've been doing my route for 5 years.

9:10 start time from T-Fri. Leave building for me about 9:30 because I'm close to my area and I got :censored2: to sort out.