LATE Air epidemic in center

Notcool

If I leave at 8:40 and have 10 10:30 airs I have to do them first then start the route with multiple heavy bulk business. I'm new so it's rough

Nine5

If it takes you nearly 2 hours to run off 10 stops this is clearly the wrong job for you.
Agreed!! I usually have like 25 stops and 200-250 pieces off by 1030(one of the beauties of an industrial route), and all air on time gotta get the bulk off with the air can't run around delivering straight air that just nonsense.

oldupsman

I respectfully disagree with you as I feel that the concept behind rural remote was a sound one. Where I disagreed with mgt is when they started to use it as a dispatch tool.

It wasn't a horrible idea when you're talking about Nebraska, Kansas,Colorado. But they tried to make it work
where it didn't make any sense. I'm sure my "rural" route in the Philly suburbs wasn't anywhere close to your rural
route in upstate New York. I had customers who lived in my area who commuted 2 hours to New York city
every day.
I was right in the middle of the Wash. D.C., Philadelphia, New York, corridor where 1 day ground service was the
norm for years. And now it was all of a sudden, sorry can't do that anymore. Why? No reason other than I
need to make this work because corporate says so.
We were instructed to save any "chasers" until we had enough to make the drive out there worthwhile.

I had a rural run where there was a very small town that was 5 miles each way from a slightly larger town. Most of the people from the VST either worked or shopped in the SLT so it was very easy to get rid of their stuff in town.

The problem with management pulling the stops from the cars is that most rural drivers know where they can "get rid of" stops in town, thereby saving miles and still servicing the customer.

Same with me. I knew where I could get rid of stuff all the time. People appreciated it. Now all of a sudden I wasn't
supposed to do that just to make their silly idea work.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Agreed!! I usually have like 25 stops and 200-250 pieces off by 1030(one of the beauties of an industrial route), and all air on time gotta get the bulk off with the air can't run around delivering straight air that just nonsense.

Sounds exactly like my route. But what happens for you guys when preload isn't wrapped on time and you leave too late to get your bulk stops off along with the air? Do they tell you to do only air at that point? There's been days where we leave the building at 9:20 and I have 20 air stops, with 5 of those being out of the way residential stops. Ask for help with the 5 residential stops and am told there's no one available.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Sounds exactly like my route. But what happens for you guys when preload isn't wrapped on time and you leave too late to get your bulk stops off along with the air? Do they tell you to do only air at that point? There's been days where we leave the building at 9:20 and I have 20 air stops, with 5 of those being out of the way residential stops. Ask for help with the 5 residential stops and am told there's no one available.
You've addressed the issue with management. All you can do is what you can do. Any late air is on them.

Notcool

If it takes you nearly 2 hours to run off 10 stops this is clearly the wrong job for you.
My air is spread out residential air then air in bulk industrial stops. I get on area at 9:00am done with air at 10am + some other stops. Then start my 20 some bulk stops Again it is my third day.

Nine5

Yeah we have late wraps that can kill your morning but pretty good most of the time, I rarely get any real runner out of the way airs, too much business so most of the time my resi area airs go on another driver who drives right by those neighborhoods on the way out.

ManInBrown

We never have work brought out to us after we leave. Maybe 5 times a year, and 3 of those are the week of Xmas. And sups aren't delivering work. And no air drivers deliver ground here. They don't even like them shuttling ground. If sups were shuttling or delivering, grievances would be filed and I would hear about it from someone.

moldsporh

Exception drivers don't do EAM here. They finish their preload shift, deliver whatever air is left in the building, then shuttle ground. Sometimes management let's them deliver ground.

I want to clarify my statement about air drivers.....we have EAM drivers, but no help for 1030 airs.

We had air drivers for the overload of 1030 airs but did away with them....and now have consistent late airs.