Late night deliveries

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I must respectfully disagree with your guess on the media coverage. They would spin it so it would look like UPS'ers are so dedicated they will stay out as long as it takes to deliver your package. They will interview a "driver" that will spew the brown kool-aid. They will also interview a "customer" that was somewhat surprised over the late hour of their delivery but admires the extent UPS goes to make delivery commitments. Don't forget the comments by some management hack that will deliver the safety disclaimer. I can see it all happening to justify poor planning.
Good point, that would probably be the more likely scenario.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you were ten or twenty yards from the package car and face to face with a ninety pound dog is there any difference? Most of us can't outrun him anyway? And I didn't know that women with children only got scared and pulled guns in the country.

1. If I can get close enough to the house with the package car, I will see the dog before I get out of the package car and the dog will recognize me as the UPS driver who gives him cookies rather than a stranger walking up the driveway with a flashlight. The greater the distance between the package car and the house, the greater the odds that there will be a surprise encounter between the driver...who is now on foot and unrecognizeable.... and the dog. It is not particularly common for large aggressive dogs to be roaming free inside city limits, whereas it is commonplace out in a rural area.

2. Women alone at home with children at 10:00 at night in an urban area will look out their window and if they see a UPS truck at the curb they will probably open the door. If they don't see a UPS truck, they will call 911 or a neighbor and help will usually arrive fairly quickly. Women alone at home with children at 10:00 at night in a rural area don't have streetlights or neighbors to rely on, and the response time to a 911 call is far greater than it is in town. Hence the reliance upon firearms for protection.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Valid points sober. Ever see one of these though?
image.jpg

clean hairy

Management will change things the first time a Driver is shot and killed.
"All I heard was a person hollering and hitting my door as if they were trying to break it down, I was in fear and shot to protect my Family. I was afraid it was an intruder trying to break in"
I sure hope this never happens, but, you never know.

10 point

"All I heard was a person hollering and hitting my door as if they were trying to break it down, I was in fear and shot to protect my Family. I was afraid it was an intruder trying to break in"
I seriously doubt that will change one thing.

It's all about money not our safety. Do you think ups would respond like the post office did? They'd blame the driver for being out so late and not announcing his presence good enough.

We're all just numbers on a sheet. Hopefully not under a sheet some day.

M

Mike hunt

It's all about money not our safety. Do you think ups would respond like the post office did? They'd blame the driver for being out so late and not announcing his presence good enough.

No I think they'd keep it quiet and not talk about it. Basically act like it never happened like they did with Alabama. That's typical ups response.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

yes it would be your fault. You did not yell, or you did not yell loud enough. It was unsafe, you should have sheeted it emergency condition, and called it in, you should have called the number on the package to tell them you were coming, if you were faster you would have been there earlier. It is always going to be our fault.

M

Mike hunt

yes it would be your fault. You did not yell, or you did not yell loud enough. It was unsafe, you should have sheeted it emergency condition, and called it in, you should have called the number on the package to tell them you were coming, if you were faster you would have been there earlier. It is always going to be our fault.
Imagine getting shot dying and they say you're at fault.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They will come up with a new acronym, and an Eight Point Nighttime Delivery Commentary for us to memorize and recite. And the dead driver will be replaced by a new hire who cant file 9.5 grievances and wont make full scale for 4 years. Business will continue as usual.

M

Mike hunt

Don't get shot
In the dark
Ever
They will come up with a new acronym, and an Eight Point Nighttime Delivery Commentary for us to memorize and recite. And the dead driver will be replaced by a new hire who cant file 9.5 grievances and wont make full scale for 4 years. Business will continue as usual.

10 point

Imagine getting shot dying and they say you're at fault.
My wife would have her lawyer file the ultimate grievance. Guaranteed.

Years ago, the company cut out a route beside mine that delivered a dangerous area during daylight hours and I inherited it on the pm side of my bid.

There were twelve people shot, six stabbed in a 6-9 month period and both banks on area were robbed multiple times during that same period.

The police warned UPS (in a meeting they called) that they needed to get our drivers out of there after dark.

The company did...wait for it... n o t h I n g.

M

Mike hunt

Years ago, the company cut out a route beside mine that delivered a dangerous area during daylight hours and I inherited it on the pm side of my bid.

There were twelve people shot, six stabbed in a 6-9 month period and both banks on area were robbed multiple times during that same period.

The police warned UPS (in a meeting they called) that they needed to get our drivers out of there after dark.

They must think you are like Rambo.

Packmule

Unbelievable. No wait. Believable.