Late night deliveries

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Your profile says you are from So Cal. Have you ever done a rural route?

Ever had a gun pulled on you by a scared woman who is alone at home with her kids at 10:00 at night?

Ever been 100 yards from the package car, hiking a stop up to a house, and come face to face with a 90Lb German Shepherd that wanted to chew your nuts off for walking up its driveway on a pitch black night?

Its easy to criticize others when your entire route is paved and there is a street light on every corner.
I work in Los Angeles. There's no need to explain your dangerous environment. We have Rottweilers, ese's, bloods and crips. Get your job done and quit whining about the dark.

10 point

I work in Los Angeles. There's no need to explain your dangerous environment. We have Rottweilers, ese's, bloods and crips. Get your job done and quit whining about the dark.
We get our jobs done without "whining" in spite of a lack of common sense dispatch from those that never walk the streets we do late at night.

Being a tough guy doesn't make me a smart guy to think that the law of averages won't catch up someday. Especially in crime ridden areas. Ask that postal worker's family, or that girl's next of kin or those two families of the NYPD officers gunned down just for fun.

We're not "wussies" but we sure as heck would not care to be labeled fools either. Amazon and QVC deliveries late at night in bad areas aren't worth the risk.

Times are changing...for the worse.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ive been getting my job done in the dark for over 27 years, thank you very much. I'm not whining about it. I'm merely pointing out that there comes a point at night where it is no longer safe or professional to be out knocking on doors and making deliveries.

clean hairy

Ask for an OJS from one of your Managment Team, especially in the bad areas.
Let them see what it is like at night!
(and, if you are in a REAL high crime area, be sure the OJS person has some clean underwear!)

Packmule

And again, we could go on and on about the safety issues for the driver. My original post wasn't even about that. It was about showing our customers some consideration.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I grieved over it for like a month, and I have mourned it for 1.5 yrs. Im over it. It was pretty silly actually. I was not with my truck, Thank God, I was on the sidewalk, waiting for the elderly man to get me a dolly, its old news. It was over 100 pds, an exercise machine, in the shape most of them arrive. Falling apart I left it on the bumper while the old gent got his dolly. First day back from vaca, my truck got wrecked I had a beater, and no dolly. 4 guys pulled up, when I went toward my truck from 10 ft away, they just kept on doing what they were gonna do. We watched from arm length distance in shock, me and the old guy. Took the cops an hour, arsons took precedent, and I finished my route, at 930pm.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I grieved over it for like a month, and I have mourned it for 1.5 yrs. Im over it. It was pretty silly actually. I was not with my truck, Thank God, I was on the sidewalk, waiting for the elderly man to get me a dolly, its old news. It was over 100 pds, an exercise machine, in the shape most of them arrive. Falling apart I left it on the bumper while the old gent got his dolly. First day back from vaca, my truck got wrecked I had a beater, and no dolly. 4 guys pulled up, when I went toward my truck from 10 ft away, they just kept on doing what they were gonna do. We watched from arm length distance in shock, me and the old guy. Took the cops an hour, arsons took precedent, and I finished my route, at 930pm.

Jesus.
And I thought I had it bad walking up on bears.

oldngray

nowhere special
the-long-walk-snow-hill-windsor-park-to-windsor-castle.jpg

Walk it off.