Lay me off?

Jetboat1

If UPS lays me off as a part timer I lose my 20 hrs week at $ 21.26 hr for a total of $ 425. If I go on unemployment in Illinois I'll get 47% of my pay plus $600. 47% =$199 + 600 =$799 or $377 more a week. Ups lay me off? I would much rather work but wtf.

rod

Retired 22 years
If UPS lays me off as a part timer I lose my 20 hrs week at $ 21.26 hr for a total of $ 425. If I go on unemployment in Illinois I'll get 47% of my pay plus $600. 47% =$199 + 600 =$799 or $377 more a week. Ups lay me off? I would much rather work but wtf.
I don't think a whole lot of brain power was put into coming up with the stimulus package FROM EITHER SIDE. Enjoy it while it lasts. :-)

SLW

Agreed, and you can always blame the guy who made it official. The President.
I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but he can only veto, so this is firmly Congress' fault. They should have just given everyone $2k/month universally until this is over, which would have been simpler, faster, and cost about the same.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but he can only veto, so this is firmly Congress' fault. They should have just given everyone $2k/month universally until this is over, which would have been simpler, faster, and cost about the same.

...and been patently unfair to those who have lost their livelihoods through no fault of their own...

Uber/Lyft drivers, restaurant workers, hospitality workers, etc., have been unfairly displaced as a result of this crisis.

$2K/month for someone who is still working and has not been adversely affected by this crisis would be unfair to those who are sitting at home through no fault of their own and trying to figure out how they are going to pay their rent on the 1st of the month.

SLW

$2K/month for someone who is still working and has not been adversely affected by this crisis would be unfair to those who are sitting at home through no fault of their own and trying to figure out how they are going to pay their rent on the 1st of the month.
There also ought to be a moratorium on rent, evictions, and utility shut-offs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There also ought to be a moratorium on rent, evictions, and utility shut-offs.

Evictions? Yes. Utility shut offs? Yes. Rent? On a case by case basis.

In many cases, the landlord may have just a handful of units and is relying on the collected rents to pay his mortgage.

MethodsMan

...and been patently unfair to those who have lost their livelihoods through no fault of their own...

Uber/Lyft drivers, restaurant workers, hospitality workers, etc., have been unfairly displaced as a result of this crisis.

one of the larger purposes of the stimulus isn’t to help people on individual basis, but to pump money into a dead economy.