lay off next year?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by MR_Vengeance, Sep 28, 2006.

  1. MR_Vengeance

    MR_Vengeance United Parcel Survivor

    rumor has it that UPS will lay off 20% off it's drivers next year. I think it's some BS, but in a way it might happen too if we are not making all that money. What do you Gents think?
  2. wannabeups

    wannabeups Member

    Lay off? For how long? Man I already took a cut in pay, (still in progression)
  3. brett636

    brett636 Well-Known Member

    Anyone with atleast one function brain cell knows that is BS. UPS can barely keep up with the volume it has let alone lay off 20% of its drivers and still make service. Unless UPS is about to lose 20%+ of its business in 07 it isn't gonna happen.
  4. hoser

    hoser Industrial Slob

    rumour from some drunk disgruntled employee
  5. VoiceOfReason

    VoiceOfReason Telling it like it is

    No kidding. We need aout 20% more drivers AND vehicles. But things differ from reigon to reigon so its possible 20% are getting layed off somewhere.
  6. CTOTH

    CTOTH Not retired, just tired

    I did hear a rumor that UPS wants to push the feeders on to UPS Freight. I don't think it's very logical or credible, but I heard it nonetheless.
  7. wkmac

    wkmac Well-Known Member

    Before you accept this one you need to take a look first off at the regulatory requirements for Freight and then for UPS specifically. I asked someone who not only do I trust but their position in corp. allows them knowledge of some of this aspect and they told me that the hope and dream would be only one system but at best it's years away. Not only are they buidling and our buidling not compatible with handling each others product but Freight can carry certain items Hazmat related that we can't and visa versa. The regulatory deregulation for this would/will take years at best and even then the infra-structure still may not make it do-able.

    This is also another reason why I doubt the conspiracy theorists who prescribe that UPS Freight was bought to scuttle any strike in 08'. I'm not advocating a strike because we'd be nuts to do so IMO but moving product from Hub to Hub is one thing but how are the Freight Tractor/Trailers gonna deliver it the last mile and keep up all the volume. Even if we reduced the volume by 80% and topped this remaining 20% onto UPS Freight, it still can't get done! Come on folks,
  8. Keepingthemhonest

    Keepingthemhonest Bring'n sexy back

    No no, on the's true. Eskew announced it in a press release praising PAS for stockholders. By looping the routes perfect and cutting all the left turns in a route, also moving from the traditional wheeled package to the new hover 20cubes they have just rolled out they have cut miles by 50%! Furthermore drivers are now mandated to further integrate with technology beyond EDD and as we speak are becoming half cybernetic monstrosities. IE claims these robo-upsers will up productivity while decreasing the bottom line.
  9. wannabeups

    wannabeups Member

    What about someone with a half functioning brain cell? I am a slow learner. It was only day before yesterday that I learned what "scratch" was.
  10. brett636

    brett636 Well-Known Member

    I'm sure even that will meet the requirements. :laugh:

    wkmac- I've always thought the same thing about freight. Those rumors just don't make since considering how much smaller they are in number compared to UPS feeders/workers. The logistics just don't add up.
  11. island1fox

    island1fox Well-Known Member

    Anything in this world is possible. For instance---Tough talk --strike talk during prolonged negotiations ---Fdx and DHL German post ---their volume grows ---UPS loses volume ---customers have many options ---UPS and Teamsters lose ---volume drops UPS lay off what ever percent matched to volume loss.
    Scenario two --- Republicans stay in power --- Tax cuts continue - economy continues to grow--Fair and speedy resolution to contract ---Volume grows ---- UPS and Teamsters grow ---- common sense ?
  12. hoser

    hoser Industrial Slob

    Or "hooch"?
  13. Teamster251

    Teamster251 PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI

    Think about it,

    Overnite UPS Freight 15000 employees.......42% without licenses

    UPS 215,000 plus employees.

    How will UPS Freight service their own customers (barely doing it now) and service all ours if we walk.

    Apples and oranges ladies and gentlemen, I've don't both jobs and neither compare.

    Stop worrying about UPS Freight they are the least of your worries.

  14. SmithBarney

    SmithBarney Well-Known Member

    Maybe 20% of supervisors will be getting laid off... mm that's a cost saving measure.
  15. Anon

    Anon Guest

    Don't hold your breath on that one.