Lay the Blame Where it Belongs.....The Members.

Box Ox

It was every Teamsters' responsibility to vote and more importantly ; to get out the vote.

I know many Brown Cafe people did the best they could.

When are people going to learn???

Do you understand why lots of people feel that Contract/supplement ratification was leadership’s fault?

The Teamsters’ constitutional rule was not interpreted the same way after the 2013 contract vote, when 10 supplements and riders were rejected, renegotiated, and re-voted, without meeting the vote thresholds the union is now demanding.

If this stands, the Teamsters are done. If you think the membership participation rate in 2018 was bad, wait until you see 2023, when the membership will have been convinced that their votes did not matter in 2018, and their votes still don’t matter 5 years later.

Good luck to recent retirees in the future.

542thruNthru

Do you understand why lots of people feel that Contract/supplement ratification was leadership’s fault?

The Teamsters’ constitutional rule was not interpreted the same way after the 2013 contract vote, when 10 supplements and riders were rejected, renegotiated, and re-voted, without meeting the vote thresholds the union is now demanding.

If this stands, the Teamsters are done. If you think the membership participation rate in 2018 was bad, wait until you see 2023, when the membership will have been convinced that their votes did not matter in 2018, and their votes still don’t matter 5 years later.

Why do people keep saying "if this stands" or "if they do this". It seems to me it's already done. Am I missing something?

brown_trousers

I have to agree with the OP. If we believe our leaders are not bargaining in good faith. It is OUR responsibility to cast enough ballots to reject this ballot. We had EVERY opportunity to vote this contract down, yet we did not. The fault goes to us as members.

Box Ox

Why do people keep saying "if this stands" or "if they do this". It seems to me it's already done. Am I missing something?

It probably is over. But seven International Union Vice Presidents called for an emergency meeting of the General Executive Board. I don’t want to declare it over until that’s resolved. JH and team left for Singapore shortly after the vote count and have been pretty quiet. So we’ll see.

If it’s important to be definitive now, though, we can just go ahead and say “The Teamsters are done”.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

Very good point. this just did not happen overnight. Teamsters have been disappointed in their Union for quite some time and a lot of members have felt their vote did not matter. This parallels national and state elections .

I too , share the blame. Even though retired , I had plenty of opportunities to go to my old hub and petition employees coming and going to get out the vote. These contracts have an effect on retirees also. I make no excuses. Dropped the ball as well.

It's just a shame and a wasted opportunity.

JustDeliverIt

With approximately 2/3 the work force PT and not many of them there long enough to care or know what's going on, we got up to 44% of voters to cast a ballot. That is up 12%, I believe, from 2013. I find it hard to believe that we will ever reach 50%, which is what this leadership wanted. The people with long term interest voted. Unfortunately there are not enough of those employees to cast a vote. This is set up by design. Next contract I'd be surprised if 25% vote since it doesn't seem to matter.

Time for change

If Scabby DT didn’t give conflicting reports about going back to table.... Then dirtbag Hoffa has yet to say anything.... Outstanding supplements and Chicago....So fat lady hasn’t sang yet, when it’s implemented, it’s done.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
It was every Teamsters' responsibility to vote and more importantly ; to get out the vote.

Hoffa also has the choice to have the majority heard instead of Taylor’s interpretation of the constitution.

LagunaBrown

You were told the truth before the vote and chose not to believe. Now it happens and you still don’t believe. Just get a Lawyer or move on with your life. I mean seriously how did you not see this coming?

Box Ox

You were told the truth before the vote and chose not to believe. Now it happens and you still don’t believe. Just get a Lawyer or move on with your life.

I’d like to wait until Hoffa and his con posse are back in the USA and everything has been fully settled with the regional VPs. It’s not a big deal for me to do so.

542thruNthru

bend over

ReliableDistinctCaudata-size_restricted.gif

SameRightsForAll

Thanks for the flame bait.
1) There are reports from members claiming they didn't get a ballot. Are you willing to reverse your opinion if it's discovered that MANY members could not vote or their vote was disqualified after the election for some reason?
2) I find it hard to believe that with UPS management basically threatening to the inside workers that if they didn't vote Yes they wouldn't get a certain raise, that these workers didn't vote. There was a massive effort to get members to vote. If they could have gotten nonmembers to vote, they probably would have.

bumped

UPS has class A and Class B stock. I believe class A vote is worth 10 times that of a class B vote. There should be a weighted vote on the UPS contracts. Full timers are weighed at 2 times a part time vote.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You were told the truth before the vote and chose not to believe. Now it happens and you still don’t believe. Just get a Lawyer or move on with your life. I mean seriously how did you not see this coming?
I don’t think I have ever seen anyone beat their own chest and gloat as much as you have over this subject. In my opinion, you are the sorriest “winner” I have ever seen. Why are you so happy about this? You’re like a child that stomped their feet for a candybar and the sucker parent gave it to you at the supermarket.