Laying off cover drivers

ContainmentIssue

In my building they are laying off all cover drivers to preload/local sort starting tomorrow. They are telling full-time rpcds that we will be forced on Saturdays( like they have been doing for the past year and a half) from here on out and threatening us with termination if we don't show up for three Saturdays. The interesting part about this is we barely cover our routes on a daily basis sometimes having to borrow from other centers if they have extras.

Thebrownblob

In my building they are laying off all cover drivers to preload/local sort starting tomorrow. They are telling full-time rpcds that we will be forced on Saturdays( like they have been doing for the past year and a half) from here on out and threatening us with termination if we don't show up for three Saturdays. The interesting part about this is we barely cover our routes on a daily basis sometimes having to borrow from other centers if they have extras.
So they’re forcing 22.4 into the building in the middle of the week? Maybe your supplements different but they can’t do that here.
Saturday is 22.4 work first even next week when we lay off 22.4 they will still be working doing delivery on Saturday.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I hope not one driver volunteers to go home. Be first to start, last to leave.

ContainmentIssue

22.4's in our building have been working 6 days a week driving for 2 years now. We don't have enough 22.4 to cover all routes on Saturday's; all mgmt does is put up that sheet of paper on the center door saying all drivers forced in on Saturdays have been doing it for a year and a half every Saturday. They we're able to find enough covers to come in on their day off and work that Saturday to cover the routes, but with the covers being laid off they have to depend on the monday through Friday rpcd.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

So they’re forcing 22.4 into the building in the middle of the week? Maybe your supplements different but they can’t do that here.
Saturday is 22.4 work first even next week when we lay off 22.4 they will still be working doing delivery on Saturday.
Can you elaborate on this? In your supp what rate does someone get when they are on layoff and doing 2 PT jobs?

Thebrownblob

Can you elaborate on this? In your supp what rate does someone get when they are on layoff and doing 2 PT jobs?
My apologies my mouth got a head off my brain. Laid off drivers with displace part time inside employees at the hub rate. They can be called back from Lay off at any time unless they’ve taken the hard layoff and plan not work at all. They can work Saturday. It will be a 6 day punch if they do. Such a convoluted mess.

PACNW

Sounds like this is going to be a mass driver layoff across the company. The company is in panic mode due to an huge unexpected and unexplained dropoff in volume (as it was explained to me).

542thruNthru

My apologies my mouth got a head off my brain. Laid off drivers with displace part time inside employees at the hub rate. They can be called back from Lay off at any time unless they’ve taken the hard layoff and plan not work at all. They can work Saturday. It will be a 6 day punch if they do. Such a convoluted mess.
Interesting. Here if they lay off a 22.4 the local has taken a hard stance that they will not driver Saturdays. If they drive Saturdays than they are not laid off. They are 22.4s and the primary job of a 22.4 is to drive Saturday. They can work them inside for 8 hours a day at their 22.4 rate of pay the rest of the week if they want but saying they are laid off 4 days a week is not how it works.

Thebrownblob

Interesting. Here if they lay off a 22.4 the local has taken a hard stance that they will not driver Saturdays. If they drive Saturdays than they are not laid off. They are 22.4s and the primary job of a 22.4 is to drive Saturday. They can work them inside for 8 hours a day at their 22.4 rate of pay the rest of the week if they want but saying they are laid off 4 days a week is not how it works.
They do not have to work Saturday here, but they can be called back from layoff at any time technically, since we have around the clock shifts that could really throw a wrench into working the next day or the same day that’s why I said it’s a mess, haven’t really dealt with much of this since Covid.

ContainmentIssue

Here the reason they're keeping the 22.4 driving and not the cover driver is because they have no protection so they can work them 10-12 hours a day and the six days a week

Thebrownblob

Here the reason they're keeping the 22.4 driving and not the cover driver is because they have no protection so they can work them 10-12 hours a day and the six days a week
They don’t have protection for 9.5 that is true, but they are still laying them off. And in the central, they can work regular package car drivers six days a week as well as long as they go by seniority. Our 22.4s do not work Mondays very often but RPCDs are continually forced a sixth day on Saturday much of the year.

Pullman Brown

Businesses don’t want to get caught with their pants down in August and economy is getting worse and covid is over. If you were here in 2008 then you know this what they do. More with less.

Brownwind

Businesses don’t want to get caught with their pants down in August and economy is getting worse and covid is over. If you were here in 2008 then you know this what they do. More with less.
I remember it was lean and the overall mood was gloomy. It was a forty hour week and that was it.

I’m working less than fifty hours now. Loving the new schedule. Glad I paid cash for my ride. Imagine having a payment on a vehicle in this uncertainty. That’s a thousand bucks a month I’m glad I have in my pocket.
Half the guys in my building didn’t believe me when I told them to save

Thebrownblob

I remember it was lean and the overall mood was gloomy. It was a forty hour week and that was it.

I’m working less than fifty hours now. Loving the new schedule. Glad I paid cash for my ride. Imagine having a payment on a vehicle in this uncertainty. That’s a thousand bucks a month I’m glad I have in my pocket.
Half the guys in my building didn’t believe me when I told them to save
Always, always, always live on your eight hour guarantee. Everything else is gravy.

ContainmentIssue

The way the talk has been in my building is us full-time rpcds are going to be working 6 days a week 60 hours a week because they're cutting most "junk" routes and laying off covers. As it is right now our volume is out of control and we are working more hours than peak so far this year....

Brownwind

The way the talk has been in my building is us full-time rpcds are going to be working 6 days a week 60 hours a week because they're cutting most "junk" routes and laying off covers. As it is right now our volume is out of control and we are working more hours than peak so far this year....
Enjoy the earnings. It’s a mixed blessing. I like the downtime because I’m nearing the end but I’m told it’s easier managing the big checks rather than the small ones or nothing.
Next few months should be interesting

Nah
Sounds like this is going to be a mass driver layoff across the company. The company is in panic mode due to an huge unexpected and unexplained dropoff in volume (as it was explained to me).
That's what happens in recessions. Not surprising it snuck up on them. They could never quite pinpoint Christmas either. Always a surprise.

ContainmentIssue

It also bothers me that a supe told one of the cover drivers to expect this layoff and inside building work to continue until the new contract is agreed upon. So.....is it a volume issue or an issue with the looming contract negotiations??? I wonder what they are being told versus what we hear....

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Well even a broken clock is right twice a day. Looks like you’re the one building that’s busting at the seems. Volume has fallen off a cliff, layoffs have started and not even 30-40 RTO’s a day can prevent more layoffs from coming. Volume didn’t fall off in 97’ because no one believed we were striking. The dot-com bust only effected business routes and the housing crash of 08 was child’s play compared to what we are seeing now. You already see the look of concern in the new drivers and even older ones who are trying to juggle their 4K a month mortgage along with all the other expenses. Not a good time to have 10 yrs or less seniority that’s for sure.