Layoffs in I.S.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If the company reclaimed 5% of unused options, there might not be a need for anyone else to take additional cuts.

I don't get this ... any options that are available to 18 level and up, as far as I know, are worthless right now.
What type of options are you talking about?

G

gimmeabreak

Perhaps 07960 meant to say "If the company retired 5% of useless option level managers"

Dagoof

First off, that was not me that said that about missing a beat. Why don't you read back through and you would see that MIPMASTER said that?

Second, I've been out of UPS for over a year, so it's not me that is causing customers to be lost. I am working as a network engineer in a totally differerent industry than the shipping industry. I do know my stuff. Believe me, I can drive a truck and walk a box up to a door. Can you tell me what this means?

interface Ethernet0/0
ip address 69.69.69.69 255.255.255.0
full-duplex
!
interface Serial0/0
ip address 69.69.69.68 255.255.255.0
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
no fair-queue
no cdp enable
!
interface Serial0/1
no ip address
ip nat inside
shutdown

*those are fake IPs so don't try to hack them

I think he is cussing at you in computer language.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
If you're stating that this is due purely to dead wood, then I respectfully disagree. The corporate IS team generally develops solutions that are meant for broad usage. The district "developer" is doing something for a much smaller and sometimes singular audience. The "abilities" of these types of development are quite different. Scalability, reliability, adaptability, flexibility, maintainability, reusability, supportability for large numbers of users and transactions are required attributes for customer facing, corporately developed applications. The district developed solutions generally focus on suitability to a narrow situation. These two types of applications are not the same and therefore cannot cost the same.

I understand what you're saying regarding the extra overhead. It certainly exists. However, to state this is the reason a district "developer" can do things more cheaply is a bit of a stretch to me.
I agree with everything you just said to pertzel_man. The district programmers have very limited scope to the applications they create. True enterprise applications have much higher requirements for availability and maintainability.

Having said that, I think Mr. Barnes is chasing a chimera with the global sourcing gig. Most of the rest of the industry has figured out that just because you can hire a programmer for $10 a day in Mumbai, doesn't mean you can get an enterprise application for cheaps. I am not aware of any successful 'global sourcing' project that we have ever had. Most of the ones I am aware of collapsed in smoking ruins due to the difficulty of communicating across 12 time zones and coordinating the multiple business units that needed to participate. Very few applications these days are 'stovepipe' in the sense that only one business unit needs to be consulted about the requirements. Half the time we can't communicate successfully across town or between ATL, NJ, and LOU.

I suspect that Dave is being driven to this idiocy by a management committee driven by a bean counter mentality that doesn't 'get it'. Dave should be educating them on this issue, not buckling.

Coca-Cola just located a new applications development group in Louisville, INSTEAD OF OVERSEAS, because they figured out overseas was too expensive ONCE YOU ADDED UP ALL THE COSTS! Their new office is across the street from the Air Group Building, and I already know folks applying there, because they have had it with the top management screwing with them.

G

gimmeabreak

could be something brewing...my portfolio mgr got called in on his vacation for a pow-wow with the CIO----wonder what that's all about.

G

gimmeabreak

ya, think? I sure hope not. He's the best !! Who else would have the nerve to stand by the door and eyeball all the slackers who leave before 4pm?

storm4

What's the story behind the contract with Accenture and the pressure on BA's hired under the pre-2000 change to the retirement plan to leave or be pip'd out? Heard there were terminations that fit this profile who had many years in. I was told it's part of the global plan, but that doesn't seem right.

G

gimmeabreak

I personally haven't heard much about this but would be interested to learn more. Is this Accenture contract only with G&A? Does anyone know anything about the IBM deal?