Layoffs in I.S.

constructively dissatisfi

It's the Weakest Link theory in practice.

Don't get me wrong. IMHO there were some great leaders in I.S. or is it I.T. I may be in the minority on this, but I thought FXE was a great leader and motivator, fits and all. GBL was terrific. JXS was, up until near his last working days, super. I've been gone for a while now but as far as the decline of I.T. is concerned, it began when JXS began planning to leave and then left. He went sailing down the intercoastal and I.T. went sinking like the Titanic.

FXE being Frank and GBL being Barry? I'm drawing a blank on JXS.

arunsenior04

Quite honestly, I think our I.S. function is nothing short of an abortion, and it's time for a total flush and refill. Not one day goes by when I don't come to the painful realization that I'm never so UNPRODUCTIVE as I am when I'm at WORK! That should be considered a very powerful statement, and should be taken very seriously by IS; but it won't. Rather than have all systems work together, and available after the first login, I have to login to each system separately. Then every different system has different criteria for USERID/PWD. Some have to be changed periodically; some don't... how do you keep up with it? I now have to keep a file to track the different USERID's and Passwords for each system. Then, once you're in to any of the UPS applications, very few of them are even marginally intuitive to use (who, BTW, came up with that awful QPR system). Bottom line... the goal of any I.S./I.T. group should be to make everyone as productive as possible. We score an "friend".

OMG...You have taken the words out of my mouth. I just recently started in IS as an intern, and I keep a file for all my usernames and pwds.

slyfox

To Anonymous Cward in Lou:
Maybe if you fools in LVL would play by the rules and follow UPS standards, those of us here in NJIS would not have to "pick up the pieces" of your failed projects. Since you live and work in the middle of nowhere, I guess I can understand how you believe you are doing a good job, keeping your little piece of the puzzle working. Unfortunately, there is more to running UPS than the airline. You obviously have no idea of the impact on the rest of the company your actions in LVL can have. But then again, being in NJIS, I guess we don't do very much here. Just write and support most, if not all of the applications, infrastructure, mainframes, midrange, you know, stuff like that, all over the world. Maybe we should move IS to LVL and hire talented cow milers like you.

jules23

Logic? Who needs logic?
To Anonymous Cward in Lou:
Maybe if you fools in LVL would play by the rules and follow UPS standards, those of us here in NJIS would not have to "pick up the pieces" of your failed projects. Since you live and work in the middle of nowhere, I guess I can understand how you believe you are doing a good job, keeping your little piece of the puzzle working. Unfortunately, there is more to running UPS than the airline. You obviously have no idea of the impact on the rest of the company your actions in LVL can have. But then again, being in NJIS, I guess we don't do very much here. Just write and support most, if not all of the applications, infrastructure, mainframes, midrange, you know, stuff like that, all over the world. Maybe we should move IS to LVL and hire talented cow milers like you.

wow...that was rude...and smells a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. no one is perfect (especially not NJIS)...and you can't always have success without failure, but you can throw more money at it and make it an even bigger cluster:censored2:.

air_upser

Sly, I can certainly understand some of your frustration and perception. Folks in Louisville can do a better job at times working with NJ on projects, especially those that are expected to be deployed to gateways around the world. However, do not think anybody in NJ is smarter or more technical than anyone in Louisville. I've worked in both locations, and if fact, I equate a supervisor in Louisville to a manager in NJ. The IT market in Louisville is not the same as NJ/NY and UPS can afford to to pick the best here. Unfortunately, that's changing because of the pay/benefits/retirement changes that has been made, but for the most part it's still true. You also have to realize that the airline demands different standards that the rest of UPS. Not my decision but it's something I have to follow. Worldport is the only location in the world where a 20 minute outage can affect 100,000 NDA packages. We have more reduncancy built there than in a datacenter. Is some of it overkill? IMO yes, but I don't sign the appropriations. Louisville also develops standards that are adopted by corp. The bottom line is, I think your opinion would change if you worked here for a few months. And there are more cows 20 minutes North of the pink palace than in Kentucky. We have horses here :-)

dave_socal

PACKAGE/FEEDER
get ready, get set, here they come...

...layoffs are starting in I.S...

folks are being given 1 month to find a new position internally, or hit the streets...

...thanks for all your hard work but you're no longer needed.

...fortunately it is coming at a time when the I.T. job market is hot !
Is it not amazing that when a thread mentions LAYOFFS it gets 4000 or more views. I wish more of those folks would add to this site with a bit of commentary on what they see in thier corner of UPS. Funny how the one "GUY" who you would think would have a opinion on this topic is missing from this thread so far. I mean this "GUY" seems to post his blather on just about every thread. Hmmmm something seems askew or is it ESKEW?

C

cowmilker

Slyfox....You are right! Everybody except NJ IS is a bunch of cow milkers!:-) Seriously, there are people throughout our company union and non-union which make our company work day to day. Each one of us have a job to do and that job keeps our company running. We need to be allies and not adversaries........

slyfox

My apologies to anyone in LVL who took offense to my posting, I was just venting against the rude LVL person who trashed NJIS. There are a great many challenges here at NJIS that LVL folks are not aware of. I work with LVL folks almost everyday, and there are a bunch of great folks down there.

itsmewallace

If they really want to out source IS it's not going to be easy. I work in ECTS (worldship,ups.com) and Data Security. You know when TSG's and what not forget their id's and I need to reset racf's. Worldship 9.0 is a Charlie Foxtrot! and rollout for 10.0 is right around the corner. We still haven't ironed out the craziness in 9.0, ask any TSG.

However, I do think its sucks because our side is not union and if you mention it around work the bosses FREAK OUT....I think we need to be. Job security and better wages. We have to do a lot and we get paid peanuts.:blushing:

tiegirl

tiegirl
You Go, 705Red!! That is exactly what I was thinking, I just could not say it. I feel the same way about my upper management. They dictate to me all day how to do my job, however, none of them have ever done my job. It is great when you ask them a question and they do not know. The head guy, he just laughs and says, I do not know ask somebody that does. You run this place and you do not know. My immediate supervisor turns red and starts sweating and trys to fake an answer and takes up 30 minutes of your time while explaining to you that the task should take about 3 minutes and he cannot understand why it takes you so long to do it. Well, first of all, he cannot answer the question because he does not know and he will not tell you he does not know and in 30 minutes he could not even get the question answered. Talk about fustration. Then later in that same day, he will approach you again and telll you how you should have been able to complete the task in 3 minutes. Did he just forget that he could not complete the task in the 30 minutes he was at my desk wasting my time. It is a constant battle all day like this with everyone on my team. The upper management wonders why they have a 60% turn over rate. They are hiring the best and the brightest right out of college and treating them like a robot, do this or else however I will not tell you how to do this just do it. What is one supposed to do here? You wonder why someone is the best and the brightest and they are at the bottom 10%. I thought a supervisor was to teach and direct not brow beat and condem.

Average at Best

Everything is based on seniority or length of service at UPS, not performance. The TSG cuts were based on how long you were with the company. I was a Tech II, but Tech I's that were about as dumb and lazy as you can get kept their jobs because they had been there for 10 years part time unloading trucks.

Very true. It's because HR doesn't have the teeth to take any non-union people on for ineptitude. You can document the hell out of an admin (or tech), show lack of performance, etc. and they will still go solely on seniority. That's why you, ImpactedTSG got cut, while the idiot tech that I like to refer to as a caveman (communicates mainly through grunting and pointing) is still there, fubaring all the technology.

C

cost cutter

heard today that there will be NO corporate hires for awhile...that, and a bunch of other cost cutting initiatives that were being distributed to management