Let the "Bands" begin. Salary Bands coming in April?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You left out the key component,
competency.

All jobs,
-(from a garbage collector to CEO of a Fortune 500 company)-
share complexity, stress and responsibility, just in different forms.
IMHO,
Compensation should be based on how competent one does a job, not based on what his peer group makes in the job market.
My opinion applies to both hourly and salaried.

For a person in that management job - totally agree. Competency should be the determining factor for an individual's pay within a job band.

In determining a job band, competency is not a relevant factor. Competency is the measure of an individual.

tarbar66

excellent point.... I share the same expirience and opinion--but in the final analysis, I would say in reality that pay bands should be based on how much of a tyrant your immediate manager happens to be....

I think just about everyone has had to work for a tyrant at one time or another. I am a firm believer that they make you appreciate all the normal leaders much more!

tarbar66

There was an on road sup in our center that always volunteered to cover a route either by himself or with a hourly employee.

I overheard his conversation with another driver about why he was always the cover guy. "I get to go home sooner when I'm on road and my partners will cover for me."

It sounds like to me he had life figured out as a UPS supervisor. I wonder how he is making out now with the staffing reductions.

UPSSOCKS

Conflicting goals don't do much for team work. Each department/operation has goals that are in direct conflict with the goals of another. It's a never-ending battle created by the company.

Injuries is the only item I can think of that has everyone on the same page. Perhaps, because it's very difficult to blame someone else.

My cost vs your cost, my performance vs your performance, my goal vs your goal is the typical set up.

In the end, we all loose with conflicting goals.

Doesn't do much for teamwork and makes your job ten times more stressful, but I love the model and the way it makes managment people manage for results. Everyone is chasing some kind of number in this place but we will never achieve our individual goals at the same moment. I don't think we lose because of our conflicting goals, I think we become more passionate in our work because of them.

beentheredonethat

UPS based all management pay structure on the On-Road supervisor pay and that has created over payment for the services of many UPS management jobs. It has also caused a lot of turnover in management in job positions whose market value is much greater than that of a On-Road supervisor.
I will not get into details of the position (to keep my butt out of hot water) but UPS has lost some very creative, smart people who were shoe-horned into a pay structure based on an On-Road supervisor. UPS has turned into a training ground for people to double their pay after 1 - 2 years and we can get no traction in these areas because of turnover.

All management jobs should be based on complexity, stress, responsibility and most importantly - job market compensation.

I agree with this. I've seen UPS lose some gifted people. While there hasn't been much turnover due to the economy in the last few years. I believe if the pay bands don't help to fix the pay issues. When the economy improves, we will see an exodus of some of our talented folks leave UPS.

satellitedriver

In determining a job band, competency is not a relevant factor. Competency is the measure of an individual.
There in lies the crux of the matter.
Competency of an individual is not relevant if one is in a certain group?
I really do not understand the term "job band."
I am not trying to be a smart ass, but the linguistics are foreign to me.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One of those fancy word sets that people in a far away land who make an awful lot of money come up with. Job classification.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes

Bands. Translation - the pay structure will be lowered for less demanding management positions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Instead of thinking of Supervisors as one kind of job, consider that there are 20 different type of supervisor jobs or job classification as suggested by me-not-you.
A pay band relates to where each of these job classifications fall within the overall supervisor pay range.

For example - the entire supervisor range may be 3500 - 7500 for monthly pay. Pay bands will be distributed along the range. Pay Band 1 (B1) is at the lower end with a pay range of 3550 to 3950 and B2 will have a range of 3900 to 4300. In this case, the bands overlap from 3900 to 3950.

3500 -(----B1---(-)---B2----)-(---B3---)-(---B4---)-..............................-(---B20---)---7500

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Bands. Translation - the pay structure will be lowered for less demanding management positions.

Instead of thinking of Supervisors as one kind of job, consider that there are 20 different type of supervisor jobs or job classification as suggested by me-not-you.
A pay band relates to where each of these job classifications fall within the overall supervisor pay range.

For example - the entire supervisor range may be 3500 - 7500 for monthly pay. Pay bands will be distributed along the range. Pay Band 1 (B1) is at the lower end with a pay range of 3550 to 3950 and B2 will have a range of 3900 to 4300. In this case, the bands overlap from 3900 to 3950.

3500 -(----B1---(-)---B2----)-(---B3---)-(---B4---)-..............................-(---B20---)---7500

Exactly what I meant. Lots for room for lower pay. Not much room for higher pay.

Financial discipline. Cant do the job well, get one that pays less.

Of course, not initially. There will be a "sell it" period where it'll look good. In a few years reality will take hold. Opportunity, enhancement, improvement, etc. will be the descriptive words used when it's officially announced.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Exactly what I meant. Lots for room for lower pay. Not much room for higher pay.

Financial discipline. Cant do the job well, get one that pays less.

Of course, not initially. There will be a "sell it" period where it'll look good. In a few years reality will take hold. Opportunity, enhancement, improvement, etc. will be the descriptive words used when it's officially announced.

That is UPS's best trait showing up again; The ability to judge, rate, dissect enhancements and improvement before something has been implemented . ;p

This might be the greatest idea yet to this date by corporate.

moreluck

golden ticket member
1930: A consolidated service begins in New York City, and began operations soon after in other major cities in the East and the Midwest. First mechanical system for package sorting. Accountant George D. Smith joins the company. The name United Parcel Service is adopted all over the country. All UPS vehicles are then painted the familiar Pullman brown, chosen because it was considered neat, dignified, and professional. Headquarters move to New York City.