Life at Brown during the 08 market crash

barnyard

KTM rider
A lot of people fell for scams during the downturn. A couple of guys were recognized in my center for helping oldsters avoid scams.

The city were I worked, a deaf woman was laid off from her job and got 'another job' by printing checks and writing out NDA ASDs for a guy in Florida. She was told not to take the envelopes to a customer counter, only letter boxes.
1 Monday, I picked up close to 1000 and a week later another thousand. Another driver delivered her supplies and wondered about it and had our ORS look into it. Found out it was a scam and would not deliver supplies. She was incensed and somehow got more cases of envelopes.
The last time I picked up a gross of envelopes that she had done, I went to the local PD. They visited her with someone from the prosecutor's office. They concluded that she was being scammed, as she had to buy a computer, printer and pay a fee for the initial 'set up.' She was out over $1500 and broke down several times while they were talking to her.
They ended up finding out that her contact was in Florida and turned all the info over to a prosecutor in Florida. Not sure if anything happened beyond that.
Those Mondays that I picked up all the envelopes, I was 4-6 hours under allowed.
For those that don't know.... The scam was an NDA was sent out with a check. The address from the ASD never matched the address on the check (in this case, the checks were printed on colored paper and hand cut). The sender emailed a list of all the tracking numbers to a guy in Florida. He would track and start calling when they showed that they were delivered.
The checks were for over $5k and when contacted the receiver was told they could keep a portion if they would deposit it and mail back a portion.
Since that scam, I see way fewer hand written ASDs and most of them are easy to tell why they used that vs a computer generated label.

oldngray

nowhere special
A lot of people fell for scams during the downturn. A couple of guys were recognized in my center for helping oldsters avoid scams.

The city were I worked, a deaf woman was laid off from her job and got 'another job' by printing checks and writing out NDA ASDs for a guy in Florida. She was told not to take the envelopes to a customer counter, only letter boxes.
1 Monday, I picked up close to 1000 and a week later another thousand. Another driver delivered her supplies and wondered about it and had our ORS look into it. Found out it was a scam and would not deliver supplies. She was incensed and somehow got more cases of envelopes.
The last time I picked up a gross of envelopes that she had done, I went to the local PD. They visited her with someone from the prosecutor's office. They concluded that she was being scammed, as she had to buy a computer, printer and pay a fee for the initial 'set up.' She was out over $1500 and broke down several times while they were talking to her.
They ended up finding out that her contact was in Florida and turned all the info over to a prosecutor in Florida. Not sure if anything happened beyond that.
Those Mondays that I picked up all the envelopes, I was 4-6 hours under allowed.
For those that don't know.... The scam was an NDA was sent out with a check. The address from the ASD never matched the address on the check (in this case, the checks were printed on colored paper and hand cut). The sender emailed a list of all the tracking numbers to a guy in Florida. He would track and start calling when they showed that they were delivered.
The checks were for over $5k and when contacted the receiver was told they could keep a portion if they would deposit it and mail back a portion.
Since that scam, I see way fewer hand written ASDs and most of them are easy to tell why they used that vs a computer generated label.

Sounds like a variation of the Nigerian scam.

barnyard

KTM rider
Sounds like a variation of the Nigerian scam.
Except that all the players were in the US. I thought it was interesting that the person that filled out the ASDs and all that was also a scam victim. She was out almost as much money as the people that the checks were sent.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had the same scam here. They managed to get a copy of the entire email list for our local college. Several of the employees tried to cash their money orders. It was a huge pain in the butt for those who fell for it.

tarbar66

I remember the same scam except the scammers were using Early AM ASD's. The regular am air shuttle driver loved dumping a bag and finding 10-20 scam letters. He said the hand written asd's were the red flag along with the residential addresses.