Life at Brown during the 08 market crash

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
UPS did away with the safety and years of service awards to save some money during the lean times. Had to start buying my own trinkets.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

701524.jpg

I ordered this for my 25 Years of Service award.

rod

Retired 22 years
I bought my condo for $82K in 2005 and plan to list it for $119K in 2018. I have made a ton of improvements and it is a seller's market. The mortgage will have already been paid off and the proceeds will be split evenly between my two children. My son will use his share to pay off his student loans while my daughter plans to use hers as a down payment on a larger home.

My condo is not what you would call upscale but it is hardly a HUD home.

Just the other day you "corrected" me saying that you were not paying your kids student loans. Make up your mind. Damn you lie a lot.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just the other day you "corrected" me saying that you were not paying your kids student loans. Make up your mind. Damn you lie a lot.

I will try to use little words just for you:

I AM NOT PAY ING MY SONS LOANS!!! (The space between PAY and ING was intentional as I wanted to use monosyllabic words to help you comprehend)

However, my plan is to pay them off with the proceeds from the sale of my condo. I figure the kids could use the money (about $50K each) now rather than when I am dead and gone.

25TOLIFE

Combined and cut loads. Low seniority drivers bumped into the preload or out of the building. Anything held over from "the good old days" (xmas turkeys, center breakfasts)ended during this time. I remember 25-30 years ago the company paid family xmas parties. Before I left you might get a few boxes of day old donuts or bagels on xmas eve.

rod

Retired 22 years
I will try to use little words just for you:

I AM NOT PAY ING MY SONS LOANS!!! (The space between PAY and ING was intentional as I wanted to use monosyllabic words to help you comprehend)

However, my plan is to pay them off with the proceeds from the sale of my condo. I figure the kids could use the money (about $50K each) now rather than when I am dead and gone.

So you're still paying them off then

Ms.PacMan

iGate is the knowledge repository for UPS; it has methods, standard practices, master operating plans, building diagrams, work measurements, training and reports

it has or used to have the answer for almost anything a supervisor needed to know to run his operation like an intelligent person, if he wanted; a lot of that info is still there, but not being consistently updated to stay relevant, and certainly not referenced and shown to the ops to have a good impact

i know this info is wasted on you but maybe someone else will find it interesting

Kind of like our perfect load charts that got thrown in the dumpster when EDD came to town.

All the dead weight at the businesses on my route were fired. It was the second and third rounds of terminations that were hard and affected a lot of good people.

AND....AND....WE LOST OUR TURKEYS!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What don't you understand rod! He isn't paying them off. He's only giving them HIS money that HE makes off the sale of HIS condo to pay off the student loan.

God its not that difficult! ;)

HE makes his own monthly payments.

HE pays his own cell phone bills.

HE pays his own rent, buys his own groceries and pays for his own haircuts.

HE takes care of his own business!

I am simply making a gracious gesture to make his life a whole lot easier but eliminating what is by far his biggest financial burden and, in the interest of fairness (because we all know that what you do for one you have to do for the other), I will giving my daughter the same amount to use as she pleases.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Forgot another thing that was all too common. The front desk became an unattended position in most offices. The person who usually signed for you was laid off, and you had to make new contacts to sign almost overnight.

upsgrunt

HE makes his own monthly payments.

HE pays his own cell phone bills.

HE pays his own rent, buys his own groceries and pays for his own haircuts.

HE takes care of his own business!

I am simply making a gracious gesture to make his life a whole lot easier but eliminating what is by far his biggest financial burden and, in the interest of fairness (because we all know that what you do for one you have to do for the other), I will giving my daughter the same amount to use as she pleases.

What are you going to say if he takes that 50 grand and buys a car instead of paying down debt, or is it a "stipulation" gift?